Acid Reflux Cruisers

CanCruz1977

I'm cruising with my mother who suffers from acid reflux.  She raises the head of her bed at home.  I bought her an inflatable wedge to stick under her mattress to raise the head of her bed a bit.  Do any of you have any other solutions you use? 

Guest BasicSailor

Your actually doing good with the wedge. My DW has to have a wedge. I purchased one from amazon

that is by foldable .

17 hours ago, CanCruz1977 said:

I'm cruising with my mother who suffers from acid reflux.  She raises the head of her bed at home.  I bought her an inflatable wedge to stick under her mattress to raise the head of her bed a bit.  Do any of you have any other solutions you use? 

Request a couple of mattress pads, fold/roll them up and insert under the head of the mattress?  And a few extra pillows (but I'm sure you've already worked with that, to the best it works, if at all).

Also, ask the steward (and ask them to ask other stewards, etc.).  This may not be the first time such a request/need has arisen.

But if your wedge is inflatable and you know it works... deflate it, bring it along, and inflate it again?  There may well be some equipment on the ship to do the inflation...?  Or a hand pump (such as for bicycle tires, meant to be portable and mechanical)?

And perhaps ask her physician if there are different, stronger meds that might not be wanted long term, but might work well for a short time?

Good luck.

ETA:  Also ask here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

Others may have experience with this.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

Agree with the recommendations for Rx.  If you deal with reflux issues, it is extremely difficult to sleep through the night otherwise.  Avoiding citrus, tomatoes, alcohol, fried food, coffee, elevating the head of your bed, etc. all help, but only medication truly helps.

And, if you are on medication for reflux, have a liver panel done with your bloodwork.  Years ago, my prescription plan decided to no longer cover my GRD prescription and I was switched to another medication (I believe it was lansoprazole (Prevacid), but am not sure).  Routine bloodwork showed abnormally high liver values, to the point where my physician asked if I was an alcoholic or had Hepatitis.  Once returned to my regular med., all issues disappeared.  I would have never known but for a routine bloodwork panel.

I have Barrett's and am closely monitored by MGH/Brigham. I take protonix/pantoprazole daily, and on occasion twice a day. Sleeping with the head of the bed slightly elevated is a must - extra bed pillows to do this NEVER because that "folds" your body mid-point in the esophagus and can increase acid pushing upward. Wedge behind the mattress on a cruise.  Knowing all of your trigger foods is so important. Eating smaller portions helps a lot, nothing to eat or drink 3 hours before bed time, avoid anything carbonated, and the usual list: peppermint, fatty/fast/fried foods, alcohol, cinnamon, no citrus juice, coffee, Asian foods, pizza, tomato and chocolate. Dairy and milk products can promote acid production. Add to that, sucrose and all sugar substitutes. Gosh, this list keeps growing and I do like things on it!    

Foods that soothe or easy to digest: oatmeal, low acid melon, chicken [not fried], plain seafood such as haddock or sword, green and roots veggies [no buttery sauces], gravy and honey. Sipping a bit of cold water, which has a pH of 7, helps neutralize the acid. 

Of course, we all cheat and "need" some of those forbidden foods. One or two bites I can handle, but consuming fruity foo-foo drinks along with pizza/chips/spicey foods will leave me walking the deck at 2:am sipping chilled water and feeling sorry for myself. 

Darcy

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

My DH stop having problems when we avoided food with corn syrup.  Tried it.

Ingredients hidden within seemingly innocent foods often present as triggers. Corn syrup, highly sweetened foods - like those yummy buttery frosted fruit filled breakfast Danish, are loaded with corn syrup - so are most baked goods and my cruise ship cookies cookies. 

Darcy

4 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Ingredients hidden within seemingly innocent foods often present as triggers. Corn syrup, highly sweetened foods - like those yummy buttery frosted fruit filled breakfast Danish, are loaded with corn syrup - so are most baked goods and my cruise ship cookies cookies. 

Darcy

Good suggestions, I found orange marmalade was my husband's trigger.  When I tried to buy some without corn syrup, found impossible.  Then I started to notice what else had corn syrup.  After eliminating foods with it, his problems went away.