Arvia maiden cancelled

molecrochip

29 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

At least two bridges to move.  The girder one looks a bit rickety.

Someone should have built a bit of wriggle room into what happens in the event that a bridge cannot be operated to allow shipping through.

IMO this one rest with P&O...

There is no bridge issue anymore. The tricky railway bridge in Weener has been destroyed some years ago and does no longer exist. The bridge in Leer will be opened when required, no issue or delay there.

• Thanks 1

Let us all be honest P&O are well known, and have been for many years, for there "sharp" business practices so nobody should be really surprised. P&O always expect the customer to be loyal to them but do not return and often treat their customers with contempt. I am afraid when booking a cruise with P&O the phrase "buyer beware" should be firmly in everyone's mind but fortunately for P&O people however poorly treated by them still carry on cruising with them and shout out there praises.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Sorry I wasn't "having a go" at you I just wanted to understand the figures like yourself.

It is very strange P&O offered refunds on the maiden when the price dropped but not any other cruise.

No problem. Didn't think you were having a go but maybe I'd confused you.

I don't think they could sell the maiden, too many people needed to fill her arriving back 2 days before Christmas.  The cynic in me says they're delighted it's been scrapped as it could have been an embarrassment if it didn't sell out. They can afford to blame someone else this way.

Contrast it with Queen Anne: crappy one port itinerary immediately after Christmas to tie in with a

The Queens world cruises. Sold out completely for months yet not until 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, happy v said:

Having already received 15% discount puts a whole new perspective on this. As with the 10% equates to 25% which is the usual offer.

Nothing can compensate for the disappointment though and I am really sorry for you all.

I assume we are looking at Sharon's case to come to this conclusion.  I'd be interested to hear from someone with a straight cash only booking so we can see that everyone actually got the 25% as it appears.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No problem. Didn't think you were having a go but maybe I'd confused you.

I don't think they could sell the maiden, too many people needed to fill her arriving back 2 days before Christmas.  The cynic in me says they're delighted it's been scrapped as it could have been an embarrassment if it didn't sell out. They can afford to blame someone else this way.

Contrast it with Queen Anne: crappy one port itinerary immediately after Christmas to tie in with a

The Queens world cruises. Sold out completely for months yet not until 2024.

QA is not doing  a WC in 2024 although she is due to sail 11th Jan 24 to Canaries same day as QM2 & QV sail on their WC.

Just now, sogne said:

QA is not doing  a WC in 2024 although she is due to sail 11th Jan 24 to Canaries same day as QM2 & QV sail on their WC.

I did not say she was.  I said her maiden was tying in with the other two commencing their world cruises. QA maiden sails down to Lisbon only - I have family on her.  The intention as I understand it is for a rendezvous in Southampton with her sisters except for QE who will be down under.

My point was despite a fairly uninspiring itinerary of one port immediately after Christmas it is sold out.

Arvia being a "family" ship needs people to (a) have finished school in time and (b) either be very organised on Christmas planning or not to care about the celebrations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

This is a small community but already we see Sharon stating she'll go elsewhere and MX saying no more P&O, it only needs a few hundred more of the 5,000 odd passengers to take this stance and they have trouble brewing and all for a few hundred quid each.

Have to say we will also think very carefully about whether we book another P&O cruise.  Maybe to use up the FCC.  Conveneiently discounted due to P&O very recently reducing our fare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

I have never been offered any refund from p&o if the price drops ? 

That's what I find very 'fishy'. Was it a convenient ploy as they knew/heavily suspected it would not go ahead.  So give paid up passengers a refund and then this would reduce any future cruise credit offered.  Am I a cynic or is it sharp practice.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I assume we are looking at Sharon's case to come to this conclusion.  I'd be interested to hear from someone with a straight cash only booking so we can see that everyone actually got the 25% as it appears.

Cash/credit card booking.  Paid in full then given some obc (not sure in which order).  Then a couple of weeks ago informed getting a partial refund as price dropped.  Now cancelled and offered / being given refund plus 10% fcc on newly discounted balance paid.

7 minutes ago, gsgbrumuk said:

Cash/credit card booking.  Paid in full then given some obc (not sure in which order).  Then a couple of weeks ago informed getting a partial refund as price dropped.  Now cancelled and offered / being given refund plus 10% fcc on newly discounted balance paid.

Seems reasonable if you've had all the other money back.  Are you happy with it or have you lost other money? More to the point do you want to sail P&O  again so you can spend the 10% or won't you use it?

Not had other money back yet.  I just find it super convenient for P&O to have given a refund to paid up travellers ,highly unusual, and then cancel.  So no not happy.  Would have thought higher fcc particularly as so close to travel.

Don't really want to travel with them again  but may do to use up fcc.  Not sure how long valid for and next years holidays are already booked elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Sorry I wasn't "having a go" at you I just wanted to understand the figures like yourself.

It is very strange P&O offered refunds on the maiden when the price dropped but not any other cruise.

Yes I thought this was strange - so it’s not normal to receive a refund on price drop - only on this Maiden one ? 
curious as I’ve never been offered a refund before.

This is a special  case presumably ?

28 minutes ago, gsgbrumuk said:

Not had other money back yet.  I just find it super convenient for P&O to have given a refund to paid up travellers ,highly unusual, and then cancel.  So no not happy.  Would have thought higher fcc particularly as so close to travel.

Don't really want to travel with them again  but may do to use up fcc.  Not sure how long valid for and next years holidays are already booked elsewhere.

If you log onto your P&O account it will say when the FCC has to be used by. Weirdly mine is broken down into 3 separate amounts with different expiry dates from 2024 - 2027.

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You are correct it is Sharon's figures as they are the only ones I know. It would be interesting to see others though. Or have Moley explain 

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

P&O have not covered themselves with glory recently, but there are a few on here regularly beating the same drum saying they are not cruising with P&O again. Why are you still posting on this forum ? Are you trying to turn a few more away ?

Recently I had a look at the roll call for our forthcoming P&O cruise.  Lo and behold a blast from the past was on there saying they had recently booked. 

During the whole refund fiasco of two years ago, this individual was at the forefront of the "If I don't get my refund within the statutory 14 days, I'm going to sue the backside of Carnival/P&O/Ludlow and all his minions" brigade.  Additionally vowing that they would never ever ever ever cruise with P&O again.

P&O are still here, said individual is cruising with P&O.  Shouted loudly, got them nowhere, now breaking their vows.  Worms turning come to mind...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

From what I can see the sneaky reduction in the fare  - never happened before - appears to be a deliberate attempt to cut back on the FCC element. 

As I love a good conspiracy theory let's think about this as a possible ploy.  Sell a cabin for £2,000 pp, total £4,000.  See the voyage is not selling well (good excuse), know there's a very high risk it can't sail because of technical difficulties so look at a Baldrick cunning plan ... We know that we've overpriced virtually all our on sale select fares across the fleet, for a few months we've been throwing morsels of OBC to calm those passengers down and they think we've been kind as we know we've over priced our somewhat inferior product for the year.  I know: let's give those who paid the highest fares some cash back by refund - 15% sounds okay and they'll be pleased.  Let's tell them it's happening but be very tardy in sending it. 

Now what have we got on sale between now and April we want to get rid of? Oh yes, all those Azura fly cruises no one wanted to book because of the airport difficulties.  We've been offering them at stupid prices all year.  Now we've cut the fare on the maiden any refund is not going to go far towards our inflated fares on non fly cruises, perhaps because they need a holiday desperately these people might buy some of those Azura cruises ....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

There is no bridge issue anymore. The tricky railway bridge in Weener has been destroyed some years ago and does no longer exist. The bridge in Leer will be opened when required, no issue or delay there.

There is a new bridge under construction so possible that this may have some affect on movements

https://www.marine-pilots.com/videos/329100-animation-weener-bridge-newbuilding

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

P&O have not covered themselves with glory recently, but there are a few on here regularly beating the same drum saying they are not cruising with P&O again. Why are you still posting on this forum ? Are you trying to turn a few more away ?

Some of us, like myself have cruise booked up to 2024 (not all with P&O) so without losing in some case a large deposit we have little choice.

I should add that whilst I have booked other cruises non have or will be with P&O. The final straw was changing or should I say trying to change the T&C's after I had booked then trying to retrospectively apply them to my booking. 

Edited by MX-Drew

37 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

There is a new bridge under construction so possible that this may have some affect on movements

https://www.marine-pilots.com/videos/329100-animation-weener-bridge-newbuilding

Possible but Moley said "repairs" to a movable structure. I think it is unlikely that something still being built needs repairs unless of course they set light to it.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Recently I had a look at the roll call for our forthcoming P&O cruise.  Lo and behold a blast from the past was on there saying they had recently booked. 

During the whole refund fiasco of two years ago, this individual was at the forefront of the "If I don't get my refund within the statutory 14 days, I'm going to sue the backside of Carnival/P&O/Ludlow and all his minions" brigade.  Additionally vowing that they would never ever ever ever cruise with P&O again.

P&O are still here, said individual is cruising with P&O.  Shouted loudly, got them nowhere, now breaking their vows.  Worms turning come to mind...

And when is your forthcoming cruise?

31 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Arvia now showing on Southampton VTS.

23 December, arrival time TBA.

If this is the date of her "new" maiden, presumably she will be in town a couple of days before?

Maybe she is due to do a shakedown cruise for a day or two in the Channel first and these dates aren't shown.