Nobody is talking about the french fries???

cruiserbrianj

After all the discussion here about the "cutback" fries at Guy's (oh my), I was dreading getting them on the Horizon a few weeks ago.    AND....they weren't anywhere near as bad as I was fearing.   

I mean, I'm sure the fresh-cut fries were objectively better, but this is not a hill I'm prepared to die on.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

After all the discussion here about the "cutback" fries at Guy's (oh my), I was dreading getting them on the Horizon a few weeks ago.    AND....they weren't anywhere near as bad as I was fearing.   

I mean, I'm sure the fresh-cut fries were objectively better, but this is not a hill I'm prepared to die on.  

Lol. I agree wholeheartedly. I liked the fresh cut fries, and thought they paired well with the burger to give that "Guy's Triple D Experience" like you see on TV. But the dirty secret is that what they replaced them with isn't bad at all  and still different from the deli fries.

This is at the bottom of the pyramid of even "first world problems" and hardly something to fall on the sword over (like sausage gravy and biscuits).

Still fun to gripe about about while we're all bored waiting for our next cruise. Classic CC.

Edited by Island Dog
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

We sailed the Legend earlier this year and they were no different that the other times we've sailed.  Maybe your incident was a one-off due to supply chain.

I’ve heard some ships still use the original fries. Not sure which ones or why they do or don’t. 

Edited by AtSeaWithChris

Breeze had the "new" fries on our last cruise.  Not bad, just different.  We've actually noticed a shortage in fries when we go grocery shopping.  Seems strange, but fries, tots, has browns always out of stock.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:38 PM, cruiserbrianj said:

I'm borderline shocked that there's hardly anything on here about how Carnival has stealthy switched their fresh cut fries at Guy's Burger to an obvious frozen fry with some seasoning. I haven't really heard anything official about this but I'm inclined to think it's the whole "supply chain" thing. Does anyone have any insight on this? It may seem like a small thing...and it is, but several small things add up to big things and that's almost to where I'm at.  

I was on a cruise in March and then in May. In March on Sunrise out of Miami I got the good Guy's fries. Then in May on Paradise out of Tampa the fries were terrible. I went back a couple days later and they had the good fries. Guessing it is supply chain related and they just didnt have enough for the entire cruise!

14 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

We sailed the Legend earlier this year and they were no different that the other times we've sailed.  Maybe your incident was a one-off due to supply chain.

The changeover happened some time between April-June. When I cruised in March, we had the old fries and in July we had the frozen ones.

On 10/28/2022 at 8:28 PM, BasicSailor said:

Probably right, but that Hell's Kitchen guy would be a different story. 😇🤣

See the source image

after eating at his Fish and Chip outlet this guy doesn't care about using frozen junk in his own locations.

I was on the Valor last week and had a Guy's burger and fries on our last sea day. Both were really good in my opinion. I didn't notice a significant decrease in quality of the fries from my last cruise in 2019. And the chipotle mayo dip with the fries is a MUST! 

On 11/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, vadersprincess12 said:

I was on the Legend last December and they were not the same fresh fries as before.  I got them once and they were so bad I didn't order them again.  I'm not that picky either, I make frozen fries all the time.