Nobody is talking about the french fries???

cruiserbrianj

I'm borderline shocked that there's hardly anything on here about how Carnival has stealthy switched their fresh cut fries at Guy's Burger to an obvious frozen fry with some seasoning. I haven't really heard anything official about this but I'm inclined to think it's the whole "supply chain" thing. Does anyone have any insight on this? It may seem like a small thing...and it is, but several small things add up to big things and that's almost to where I'm at.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor

There were several conversations/threads about those pitiful fries. There so bad people just stopped talking about them.

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Guy's is just one venue that has markedly declined in quality all around the ship. Too much to discuss and more coming every day.

Wonder if guy knows their using cheaper fries and marketing them under his name.😝 

See the source image

I noticed they seemed different on Miracle but I couldn't be sure, they looked the same as before. What I did notice was that there were a lot of small pieces so I made the best of it and tossed some chili on top with some grilled onions and spicy peppers and used a fork and it was tasty. If I run into frozen fries on a cruise I'll probably do the same thing again. I eat frozen fries at home and other restaurants on occasion (except for In-and-out, always fresh) and can still enjoy them. It won't ruin my trip and I'll be back for seconds lol.     

• Like 4

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I doubt he will care unless Carnival's checks start to bounce.

Probably right, but that Hell's Kitchen guy would be a different story. 😇🤣

See the source image

5 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

What are the frozen fries made of?  I think Carnival made a choice to buy them rather than pay for labor to cut them. More of a crew shortage. IMO. 

There are machines that cut fries so that's not an issue. Now what frozen fries are made of because of the potato shortage is a whole different story. Maybe BlerkOne will come fill you in.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Wonder if guy knows their using cheaper fries and marketing them under his name.😝 

Many moons ago I commented on how Guy should be concerned that "Guy's Franchise Rights" will be moving from the intangible asset category to the "Intangible Liability" category on balance sheets.

Apparently he doesn't care (as someone else noted) as long as he gets a check. So my opinion of Guy the person has gone way down.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, icft said:

Apparently he doesn't care (as someone else noted) as long as he gets a check. So my opinion of Guy the person has gone way down.

Guy is a business 100% just like the the "get er done" dude and the " you might be...." comedians. Unless the money drops he'll keep collecting the cash for the name use.

And thousands of cruisers daily lining up to shove burgers down their throats will keep that money rolling in.  Would it have the same line if Carnival removed the name? 

2 minutes ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

Guy is a business 100% just like the the "get er done" dude and the " you might be...." comedians. Unless the money drops he'll keep collecting the cash for the name use.

And thousands of cruisers daily lining up to shove burgers down their throats will keep that money rolling in.  Would it have the same line if Carnival removed the name? 

And call them what, "guy's mystery meat?"

1 minute ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

On The Pride out of Rome in September, I thought the fries at guy's had improved over the old ones, actually it surprised me - there was a fresh potatoey goodness to them kinda like Royal Farms wedge fries.

European suppliers different than US 

9 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

What are the frozen fries made of?  I think Carnival made a choice to buy them rather than pay for labor to cut them. More of a crew shortage. IMO. 

Lots of bold assumptions here. There absolutely are supply differences between frozen and fresh potatoes. Imagine you were in charge of supply for the week and let's say fresh potatoes were $75,000 and frozen were $40,000. 

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/2022/08/08/potato-shortage-could-mean-higher-prices-stores-restaurants/10264591002/

The current weather-related shortage comes in addition to a recent downward trend in potato production. According to the USDA, the country's production fell on a year-to-year basis in 2020 and 2021. In 2021, potato production in the United States was 7% lower than the average production in the preceding five years.

10 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

I didn't even realize Guy was a real person, let alone a real person I should know or care about.  Personally, it's not "Guy's" that is the draw, it's the burgers and fries.  People think the food is worth a return visit or not.

If "Guy" is a real person, you've got me wondering about this Steakhouse person. Celebrity chef Pizza must be rolling in royalties.  I've got research to do.

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Lots of bold assumptions here. There absolutely are supply differences between frozen and fresh potatoes. Imagine you were in charge of supply for the week and let's say fresh potatoes were $75,000 and frozen were $40,000. 

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/2022/08/08/potato-shortage-could-mean-higher-prices-stores-restaurants/10264591002/

The current weather-related shortage comes in addition to a recent downward trend in potato production. According to the USDA, the country's production fell on a year-to-year basis in 2020 and 2021. In 2021, potato production in the United States was 7% lower than the average production in the preceding five years.

Correct, so it is a cost savings rather than a “supply chain issue”. They can still get it. Arguably you can say a higher price is a supply chain issue but that is an everyday issue. We face those choices all the time. They decided on an inferior product. 

• Like 1