Spouses same tier?

1 hour ago, cruisinconniebean said:

Waiting to see if my husband gets to Diamond+ after my next cruise.  I saw that he got cruise credits for last year's holiday cruise as well as a cruise in 2019...thing is, he died in 2016. 

Unless you tell them they will keep the accounts linked and they alway show the points for the highest person.   So that is par for the course.  If he was unlinked from you, his point total would show his actual points.  Might want to email them and let them know the situation (unless you like having him with you a bit in spirit).  RIP to your husband.  

On 11/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, DaKahuna said:

Divorce works. 

WELL........

This IS RCI.

My wife and I (and my parents) cruised together.  9 nights in suite to Platinum.

Got divorced.   Never had linked the accounts, but same last name, same address.

Got GF.  Went on several cruises.  Tier difference was not enough to make a difference so I had not linked accounts.  GF uses my address.  But different last names.

Ex goes to book a cruise.   Still uses married last name, but new address.  Finds out RCI has combined my GF's and my Ex's accounts.  Ex has all the cruise points from her one cruise and my GF several cruises (so almost Diamond).

Several hours on the phone, gets it straightened out, but they cannot fix GF account.  So they create a new one for GF, but I have to call to get her points right (and link the accounts).  I call.  No one knows what is going on.  I have two C&A numbers for her, and they keep getting the two accounts (actually 3) and two people confused).  They try to combine the two peoples' accounts again.  Get that stopped.  Around and around, but finally GF's new account correct with her points, but now they need Ex to call back to straighten out her account again. 

All told, between Ex and I, over 6 hours on the phone to RCI, fixing something that should never have occured

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 11:16 PM, DaKahuna said:

You do not have to have already cruised to apply for a C&A account. 

They seemed to have changed that again.

Cruising in 2 weeks with couple that has not cruised before.  I recommended creating accounts.  But C&A page now says they will be automatically enrolled after their first cruise.

Really Consistently Inconsistent.

On 11/3/2022 at 3:49 PM, topnole said:

There are many high tier folks who Royal has probably never made a profit off of in their lives.  This type of scenario is impossible with airline type loyalty systems.  It’s really quite easy to be upper tier with Royal with either cheap cruises or inheriting status.  It is very hard to be upper tier in other travel related programs.   

Sort of.  On two different airlines I can give someone else matching status (million miler on each).  But they only have that status until I remove them.  I cannot give someone else status without removing the previous one.  BT, DT.

People used to get high status on airlines for low cost playing games with the system to load up on segments.  But it got publicized and the airlines started adding amount spent requirement to the miles to get status.

It seems that a similar concept would be good in the cruise system.  But RCI seems happy with the situation.

We are cruising with a couple who have not cruised before. If we were smart, we would have linked our accounts to each other's spouse and given them instant Diamond.  Then linked back after the cruise.

If people start doing that, and talking about it online, the system will change. 🙂

On 11/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, topnole said:

It also seems like spouse matching should be based on your spouses level based on their own points.  So if a kid is D+ with 3 points and retains that as an adult, why would Royal want to bestow D+ to their spouse when they get married.  It just dilutes the perks more in the long run.  I did meet a couple on a cruise who took their teens on one cruise only so they got their status for life if they decided they liked cruising as adults themselves.  So this scenario surely happens a lot in total number.  Just weird how Royal doesn’t have kids revert to their tier based on their points once they are adults.  

A lot of people here on CC agree with you.  But RCI seems to take the idea that if they keep that D+, they are more likely to cruise and be customers.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Sort of.  On two different airlines I can give someone else matching status (million miler on each).  But they only have that status until I remove them.  I cannot give someone else status without removing the previous one.  BT, DT.

People used to get high status on airlines for low cost playing games with the system to load up on segments.  But it got publicized and the airlines started adding amount spent requirement to the miles to get status.

It seems that a similar concept would be good in the cruise system.  But RCI seems happy with the situation.

We are cruising with a couple who have not cruised before. If we were smart, we would have linked our accounts to each other's spouse and given them instant Diamond.  Then linked back after the cruise.

If people start doing that, and talking about it online, the system will change. 🙂

Important caveat however.  Airline status is not lifetime.  It used to be yearly.  Maybe some have made it a bit more liberal.  But still very short term.  You have to travel a lot every year to keep status.  Very few get high status unless the travel for work a lot.  

4 hours ago, topnole said:

Important caveat however.  Airline status is not lifetime.  It used to be yearly.  Maybe some have made it a bit more liberal.  But still very short term.  You have to travel a lot every year to keep status.  Very few get high status unless the travel for work a lot.  

I think once you hit 1 million miles you get permanent status.  For United you get permanent Gold at 1 Million miles, permanent Platinum at 2 Million, etc.  

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I think once you hit 1 million miles you get permanent status.  For United you get permanent Gold at 1 Million miles, permanent Platinum at 2 Million, etc.  

Ahh.  But still, a million miles is a lot of flying.  That’s like a 2k mile round trip flight every week for nearly 10 years.  That is much harder to his than pinnacle. Much much harder.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, topnole said:

Ahh.  But still, a million miles is a lot of flying.  That’s like a 2k mile round trip flight every week for nearly 10 years.  That is much harder to his than pinnacle. Much much harder.  

It is a lot...  I hit it in less than seven years with AA, flying internationally once a month or so in business class.  Lifetime Gold really isn't worth much aside from better free seat availability and no bag fees.  But it's better than no recognition at all.

My wife and have never cruised apart so its a moot point, but I do like that our kids get a leg up as second generation cruisers.  

Edited by Lane Hog

On 11/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I'm going to have to deal with all of this soon.  We're taking our daughter/son-in-law and other daughter/boyfriend on a cruise in August on Quantum.  We are Diamond Plus.  Both Daughters are Diamond (we took them on a lot of cruises as kids).  We last took them on Royal Caribbean in 2012...Daughter #2 has been married for three years.  Son-in-Law has never been on RCCL.  Daughter #2, for business reasons, retained her maiden name--so, her and her husband's last names don't match.  Daughter #1 has been with the current boyfriend about 6 months.  He's never been on a cruise. It looks somewhat serious...but we've thought that before...So, to be realistic, we don't even know if he'll still be in the picture in August--in which case, she would likely end up replacing him on the booking with her still single old college roommate.

So, I'm not sure of the best timing for this...but, sometime between now and August, I need to call Royal Caribbean and get Daughter #2's Diamond status applied to the son-in-law...and, perhaps, get Daughter #1's Diamond Status applied to the boyfriend...

Daughter # 1's Diamond Status would not be applied to the boyfriend unless they are living together. 

You can't just randomly apply status to a cabinmate just because you are dating. 

13 hours ago, topnole said:

Not once you make Million Miler.  Then you get lifetime status.

In 70,000 more miles, I will have lifetime Gold on two different airlines.  Others have lifetime higher status.

United is 1 MM = Lifetime Gold, 2 MM = Lifetime Platinum, 3 MM = Lifetime 1K, 4 MM lifetime Global services

Delta is 1 MM = Lifetime Silver, 2 MM = Lifetime Gold, 4 MM - Platinum, 6 MM for lifetime Diamond  

It is harder to earn 1 MM on United than Delta.  United only counts miles on United aircraft and only the base miles.

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

Daughter # 1's Diamond Status would not be applied to the boyfriend unless they are living together. 

You can't just randomly apply status to a cabinmate just because you are dating. 

True.  But they do not check your address, so you could put both at the same address and link the accounts.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SRF said:

True.  But they do not check your address, so you could put both at the same address and link the accounts.

It's the little things like this that add up over time and then RC catches on and makes everyone suffer.... Like when they changed the the Drink Package policy 

On 11/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, DeputyDawg46 said:

My wife and I are Pinnacles.  However, we are Pinnacles due to my number of cruises as I have done more than her.  She gets the benefits of Pinnacle regardless if we cruise together or individually.  Our individual RCI accounts show the same number of points (mine) and both our points increase if I cruise with or without her.  However, if she cruises alone the points (mine) showing in her account will not increase.  Point wise when she cruises on her own and since she is a D+, internally her points increase but since we are linked, only the higher of the two (me), are my points shown on her account.

DDawg

Laura is only sailing the first two legs of world cruise. 5 months. So I'll be onboard 4 months without her 'earning' around 240 points, but our total will stop increasing once she leaves in Dubai. Now we really don't need the missing points, but that is almost a free cruise😪

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:11 PM, LilBlackDress said:

It's the little things like this that add up over time and then RC catches on and makes everyone suffer.... Like when they changed the the Drink Package policy 

How is everyone going to suffer if they actually make people earn their status?

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura is only sailing the first two legs of world cruise. 5 months. So I'll be onboard 4 months without her 'earning' around 240 points, but our total will stop increasing once she leaves in Dubai. Now we really don't need the missing points, but that is almost a free cruise😪

The spouse equal recognition question was asked while onboard the Ovation last year and we were told by guest services that if only the husband or wife achieved the pinnacle points of 700 that the other spouse would not become a pinnacle until that person also reached the 700 point number so we are confused as to what the OFFICIAL POSITION IS on this subject.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:24 PM, DaKahuna said:

Yep. Permanent status that we won’t ever use again since we are done with flying.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:06 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Yeah...I just recently made a Million Miles on American AAdvantage and was awarded lifetime Gold.  I joined AAdvantage back in 1981 when they first started the program...and it only took me 41 years!

Joined national car rental emerald plus program when it was first introduced and lifetime membership was being offered for a one time fee of $75. Still have several coupon books for upgrades at locations without an emerald aisle, and the look on the agents face when they realize these 30+ year old coupons have no expiration date is priceless.

1 hour ago, EdandMary said:

The spouse equal recognition question was asked while onboard the Ovation last year and we were told by guest services that if only the husband or wife achieved the pinnacle points of 700 that the other spouse would not become a pinnacle until that person also reached the 700 point number so we are confused as to what the OFFICIAL POSITION IS on this subject.

It does not surprise me that you were given incorrect information.  I personally know people where both are P but the one spouse did not have 700 points. 

• Like 1

That is incorrect information. Pinnacle is indeed shared with your spouse

• Like 1

You needed to talk with the CAS LA not someone from GS. 

On 11/4/2022 at 8:25 PM, Lane Hog said:

It is a lot...  I hit it in less than seven years with AA, flying internationally once a month or so in business class.  Lifetime Gold really isn't worth much aside from better free seat availability and no bag fees.  But it's better than no recognition at all.

My wife and have never cruised apart so its a moot point, but I do like that our kids get a leg up as second generation cruisers.  

I'm lifetime platinum on AA.  Not sure what it took to qualify. But it is a great advantage.  No bag fees, no restricted seats, Plt desk for phone calls and better options to cancel and get points reinstated with no fees.  We do get upgrades, but if using points, can't use upgrade, so really don't take advantage very often.  

My wife is lifetime gold. Really no idea why.  Only travels on vacation and would be surprised if she has 300K lifetime miles.