Bad move up experience

cruissett

Terrible move up experience. We’re booked in an OV cabin.  Bid $200 for a move up. We’re assigned to a family veranda under the the buffet and charged $640.  Called and was told additional cost was because extra tipping.  There are just 2 of us and tipping was already paid in our fare. They will not talk to us farther, said we have to email moveup department. No one has of yet gotten back to us. Is this normal or fair?  I’m Diamond Plus with Royal, Elite with Celebrity 

17 minutes ago, cruissett said:

Terrible move up experience. We’re booked in an OV cabin.  Bid $200 for a move up. We’re assigned to a family veranda under the the buffet and charged $640.  Called and was told additional cost was because extra tipping.  There are just 2 of us and tipping was already paid in our fare. They will not talk to us farther, said we have to email moveup department. No one has of yet gotten back to us. Is this normal or fair?  I’m Diamond Plus with Royal, Elite with Celebrity 

There's you reason. 😂

• Haha 1

Gratuities are the same for an OV as they are for a verandah. It isn’t until concierge class that they start increasing. And they definitely didn’t increase $12 per day per person recently. Unless I’m missing something, it doesn’t seem right. 

52 minutes ago, cruissett said:

This is wrong; you should have been charged the bid amount of $400. Have you tried calling the Captain's Club number (800-760-0654)? In my experience, the people who answer that number are often more helpful than the people who answer the general number.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, actuarian said:

This is wrong; you should have been charged the bid amount of $400. Have you tried calling the Captain's Club number (800-760-0654)? In my experience, the people who answer that number are often more helpful than the people who answer the general number.

Thank you. I called Celebrity, I’ll try Captains Club

1 hour ago, cruissett said:

I think someone is confused.  Do you have your original document with your bid offer?  And did you get a revised invoice. 

The location of your upgraded cabin is totally within the guidelines of the move up program.  

i wonder if you possible bid more than you remember, but the e mail will be clear.  You should be able to easily get the correct amount adjusted.

I have never heard of anyone else being charged more that what they have bid.

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I think someone is confused.  Do you have your original document with your bid offer?  And did you get a revised invoice. 

The location of your upgraded cabin is totally within the guidelines of the move up program.  

i wonder if you possible bid more than you remember, but the e mail will be clear.  You should be able to easily get the correct amount adjusted.

I have never heard of anyone else being charged more that what they have bid.

Yes they charged me the gratuity.

That is $21.00 x 9=$189.00

6 minutes ago, verizon said:

Yes they charged me the gratuity.

That is $21.00 x 9=$189.00

That is not what happened to the OP; they are on a 10-night cruise in a family veranda stateroom.  Therefore, the full amount of the gratuities would be $17.50 x 10 or $175 per person. So there is no way to come up with $240 and, in any case, the OP said that they already prepaid their gratuities. Something is just wrong.

On the other hand, at least the OP got upgraded to a great cabin. To my knowledge, the only ships that have family veranda cabins under the buffet are M-class ships and the family veranda rooms on those ships have huge balconies that overlook the ship's wake.

The suggestion to call Captain’s Club worked. They could see that the bid was $200. Tried to say additional $240 was for tipping but saw that tips had been prepaid. Admitted tipping for OV and veranda are the same. Tipping has gone up but since prepaid should not have been changed. 
thank you for that suggestion 

$240 was not refunded but given as on board credit which is fine

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cruissett said:

The suggestion to call Captain’s Club worked. They could see that the bid was $200. Tried to say additional $240 was for tipping but saw that tips had been prepaid. Admitted tipping for OV and veranda are the same. Tipping has gone up but since prepaid should not have been changed. 

Glad you got it as OBC but that's not really fair either as its use it or lose it.  If they made the mistake you should get it refunded directly or refundable OBC

• Like 12

I think it will be pretty easy to spend $240 in OBC over 10 nights...even if just adding some tips to various deserving personnel before disembarking...and a myriad of other choices...

Just my opinion...I think it's just great it got resolved favorably!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I think it will be pretty easy to spend $240 in OBC over 10 nights...even if just adding some tips to various deserving personnel before disembarking...and a myriad of other choices...

I agree.  It will be very easy to spend the $240 (or much more) in shops, specialty restaurants, shore excursions, etc.  Meanwhile, you upgraded to a fantastic cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruissett said:

I would still be upset.  They really screwed up.

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

I agree.  It will be very easy to spend the $240 (or much more) in shops, specialty restaurants, shore excursions, etc.  Meanwhile, you upgraded to a fantastic cabin.

LOL...you mean @cruissett upgraded to a fantastic cabin...

The OP can decide if they want to dwell on how badly things were handled or if they want to move on and enjoy their cruise. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

But that is the point - it was not resolved favorably.  The OP was overcharged for something, and rather than refunding him/her, they gave her nonrefundable OBC which he/she has to spend on the ship.  It should have been a refund back to whatever card paid, and a small OBC given as an apology for what happened.  Instead, he/she was overcharged and is now obligated to spend that overcharge on board whether or not they want to.

• Like 10

I agree the OP should have been refunded. But X made a counteroffer of OBC and the OP seemed happy to accept.  If the OP had been unhappy, s/he could have contacted their credit card company saying they were overcharged.  Given the relatively small amount and a 10-night cruise, not a huge issue in this instance.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

I agree the OP should have been refunded. But X made a counteroffer of OBC and the OP seemed happy to accept.  If the OP had been unhappy, s/he could have contacted their credit card company saying they were overcharged.  Given the relatively small amount and a 10-night cruise, not a huge issue in this instance.  

Agree completely, OP appears to have accepted the resolution, so its clean now.  I still take issue with the belief that the OP is in a better position or its not that important.  What happened was essentially if someone went to Macy's and spent $200, and then when they looked at their credit card was charged $660, and Macy's response was...no problem, we will give you $460 store credit that has to be used by a certain time.  That is not an ok resolution to me at least.  😒

• Like 1