Lackluster on NIEUW AMSTERDAM

eroller

I recently returned from a 5-day sailing on NIEUW AMSTERDAM which departed Port Everglades on October 25, 2022.  Our ports were Key West, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau.  We had excellent weather throughout.  For reference this was my 137th cruise, with the last being on CELEBRITY INFINITY in September (so some comparison there) and my most recent HAL cruise being in February 2019 on NIEUW STATENDAM.  I'm not loyal to any one line and enjoy experiencing them all. 

Attached is a link to 256 photos and 2 videos mostly of the ship.  Also included are scans of the daily programs and some other materials. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72177720303480783

Overall the experience was a bit lackluster in several regards (especially when compared to the Celebrity cruise prior and the previous HAL cruise in 2019).  This is not to say we didn't have a great time.  We did.  This cruise was exactly what was needed.  A perfect low-key getaway at a fantastic price.  For what we paid we absolutely got our money's worth, but it doesn't change the fact we noticed plenty of cut-backs even from our last HAL cruise in 2019.  Would I sail on HAL again?  Absolutely.  I never write off an entire line because of one so-so experience.  If I did I probably wouldn't be cruising much.  All the lines have their good and bad days so to speak.  

I'm not going to write a blow by blow review for this trip, but instead just highlight what impressed and what didn't.  Remember these are my opinions based on my perceptions and experiences.  Yours may differ and that is fine, and you are free to agree or disagree although it doesn't change what I experienced.  

For anyone interested our cabin was 10032.  It was a Spa Balcony up on Deck 10.  Great location and that is why I chose the cabin ... for easy access to the outside decks.  The "spa" description was pretty much meaningless.  Besides a couple yoga mats, a wood mat in the bathroom, a Bluetooth speaker which did not work, and two bottles of water along with three flavored cans of sparkling water ... there was no difference between this and any other balcony cabin.   

Lets start with the positive. 

What Impressed:

• The ship looked fantastic.  In fact better than when I sailed on her in 2010 when she was brand new.  HAL has brightened up the ship with new carpets and soft furnishings and the result is very pleasing to the eye.  I loved the art-deco touches.  Maintenance was top notch and there was work always being carried out around the ship. 
  • Excellent selection of on-demand movies in the cabin which were free.  I usually don't pay much attention to the cabin TV but entertainment was a little lacking on this cruise
  • Great poolside service - never a wait or problem getting a drink
  • Unlimited towels by the pool - always appreciated
  • HAL blanket in the cabin.  Great for afternoon naps.  Why other lines don't do this is puzzling
  • Full wrap-around teak promenade deck.  In fact this is the last HAL ship that has this traditional feature done in the traditional way.
  • Super quick boarding process.  Between parking the car and walking onboard ship it was about 10 minutes.  Maybe a record  
  • Awesome made-to-order burgers by the pool at Dive-in.  Yes there was a small wait and they gave you pager, but well worth it.  Probably the best burgers at sea.
  • Mariner Club keepsake HAL tile - I'm so glad HAL is still doing this wonderful keepsake of the ship and cruise.  It's all about the attention to detail.
  • The ship itself was super spacious and just the right size.  The only exceptions were the Lido Market and BB King's Club which were often overcrowded feeling.  The ship was not at capacity.  I had heard about 3/4 full.  
  • Clothe towels in the public restrooms.  A small detail but it's the little details that add up and make a substantial difference.
  • Inexpensive drink prices.  A standard cocktail was around $8.50 including gratuity.  This is much more reasonable than the majority of cruise lines I sail which are over $10 for the same drink ... and some as high as $14.  
  • Nice selection of merchandise in the shops.  Good variety and some very cool logo items. 
  • Excellent interactive TV and Navigator App.  One of the better systems of all the lines I've sailed.  Easy to use and great information.
  • HAL Origins Presentation - I absolutely loved this presentation about the 150 year long history of HAL.  So well done and the CD did a great job narrating it and brought her own style to the presentation.  The only odd thing was the timing.  It was featured the first night when a welcome show would normally be presented and it was never repeated.  It was very lightly attended.  Maybe 40 people which is unfortunate. 

What didn't impress:

• The food overall - small portions, bland, lacking variety or finesse.  Deserts were tasteless.
  • Too many pasta choices - obviously a budget cut.  Rustic Lasagna featured on the dinner menu 3 times on a 5 night cruise.  Ridiculous. 
  • No "always available" section on the dinner menu.  Most cruise lines offer this.  The menus were rather basic and sometimes the selection limited.
  • Steak only offered once on this five night cruise.  Plenty of pasta though.  Again clearly budget cuts. 
  • All the waiters insisted on taking the desert order along with everything else.  That is not fine dining.  The desert order should be taken after the main meal is finished. 
  • A cheeseburger on the room service menu has a $5 upcharge. 
  • Once daily cabin service is now standard.  Our cabin service made this clear on the first day, and said we would have to request turn-down if we wanted it but it seemed discouraged to us.  Is twice a day cabin servicing absolutely necessary?  Of course not but it's one of those lovely details that differentiates a cruise from a stay at a Holiday Inn.  Quit dumbing down the cruise experience. 
  • No turn-down with chocolates at night.  I missed this.  We did get a "morning" turn-down once where two chocolates and a towel animal were left. 
  • The Mariner comp drink was only good for the specialty Mariner cocktail.  Make it good for a cocktail of your choice.
  • No pizza by the slice ... you have to order a full pizza.  No grab and go. 
  • The Lido Market seemed to have more limited hours and selection compared to other lines I've sailed.  After 11:30pm nothing. 
  • Crew serves everything in the Lido Market.  Some will view this as a positive and some negative.  On Celebrity just a month prior you could serve yourself.
  • No stir sticks in cocktails
  • No morning CD show on TV - I rarely watch TV on a cruise but for some reason I like watching the CD show when I wake up. 
  • No live music by the pool ... ever
  • Lack of live music around the ship.  Besides the dueling pianos and the band in the BB King's Club there was nothing.  How about some pre-dinner cocktail music in the Ocean Bar by a trio, pianist, or guitar soloist?  Nope.  Not on this cruise.   Live music was truly lacking. 
  • The production shows were a joke.  Extremely low budget.  Five dancers.  No singers.  No live band.  No sets.  Just a video backdrop.  The one show with actual singers happened to be the two dueling piano players doing double duty and looking clearly uncomfortable on the big stage.  The five dancers danced around their pianos.  They were perfectly fine in the lounge setting, but not suited for the big stage.  Probably the lowest budget production shows I've seen on any ship, even really small ones.  I felt sorry for the performers. 
  • Two things I missed from the old days of HAL (my first HAL cruise was in 1979) are the chimes by the bellboy that used to walk throughout the public areas announcing dinner.  I get why this is not done anymore as there is the open seating option now, but none the less I miss it.  I also miss the lovely display of mints at the dining room exit along with the bellboys to serve them.  That was such a nice touch but those days are long gone. 

Again even with the negatives we had a great time, and I always put my expectations in line with what I paid ... and this was an inexpensive cruise.  Unfortunately there are lines better suited for me and my expectations for now at least.  The food and entertainment were the biggest letdowns. I've been sailing with HAL for 43 years now and I'll continue to do so, but probably not for a few years.  In the meantime I wish HAL the very best and continued success, along with everyone that loves sailing on this historic line.  Happy cruising! 

Edited by eroller
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 9

Ernie - another outstanding and balanced review as always.

We liked NA in prior years also and next HAL cruise is in 11 months on ROTTERDAM T/A.

Hope food budget loosens a bit by then or it will be a long 15 days……especially if no more “always available” selections.

• Like 3

Interesting to read this review.  We were on the sister ship Eurodam for a 16-day cruise recently.  HAL clearly made entertainment more of a priority for our cruise, with a house band in Ocean Bar most evenings and some decent acts on Mainstage.  They did add in an additional dish or two each day for breakfast and lunch in MDR because of the longer cruise and had some decent fish and meat options, including grilled salmon most evenings.  Desserts were still pretty tasteless though.  Our room stewards were excellent; MDR service varied a bit, but mostly pretty good.

• Like 1

The daily steak, Caesar salad and herbed checked is available in the MDR but you are right it is not listed.  The crème  brûlée and onion soup depend on how the staff feels.  I am not happy about that either.  

I agree about the pasta.  The least they could do is offer whole grain pasta, at least it has flavor, texture and is more healthful.   Down home comfort food seems to be a trend.  It is probably a crowd pleaser besides being inexpensive.   If you follow recipe trends, popular tv and the like it is not only on cruise lines. 

• Like 1

We did the Mexican cruise on Koningsdam last year and I was very disappointed to see the always available menu had gone. I have a very limited likes list for food but I could always rely on a steak if nothin else. On that cruise there were two nights there was nothing for me in the MDR so ended up at the lido bar, where it seemed to be the same selections repeated often. 

Fortunately for me, the eating experience isn’t something I care about, so long as I can get something. Interesting, Mary, you say you can still ask for the steak? Have two HAL cruises next year and that may well come in handy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eroller said:

The only odd thing was the timing.  It was featured the first night when a welcome show would normally be presented and it was never repeated.  It was very lightly attended.  Maybe 40 people which is unfortunate. 

It's been "filler for a program" for too many years now.  Time for a change, HAL!  The program is excellent and would be of interest to more guests, I suspect, if presented at some time other than the first night at sea.  

3 hours ago, eroller said:

Excellent selection of on-demand movies in the cabin which were free.

An improvement thanks to the new interactive TVs.  

4 hours ago, eroller said:

All the waiters insisted on taking the desert order along with everything else.  That is not fine dining.  The desert order should be taken after the main meal is finished. 

May I ask why you did not "insist" that I will order dessert when I am done with my entree?  Some guest "pushback" is required at times.  And, if the waiter gets "huffy", it's time for a visit with the DRM.  

The production shows were a joke

For the millions and millions spent on the theaters (particularly the World Stage on the Pinnacle Class ships), it has been a classic misuse of resources for the way that they are used.  Although, to be fair, the reports of the improvement in some of these presentations recently is encouraging.  

Again even with the negatives we had a great time, and I always put my expectations in line with what I paid ... and this was an inexpensive cruise.

One receives what one pays for?  

Thanks for your report and your photos.  Nieuw Amsterdam provided me with a couple of really good cruises.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ukpylot said:

Interesting, Mary, you say you can still ask for the steak? Have two HAL cruises next year and that may well come in handy.

Yes, just ask.  we were able to get all items by asking on our 21 day, some on our short Alaska except the onion soup but when we were in Quebec they would not serve us crème brûlée but took an order for the following evening.  And it was terrible, I was embarrassed that I had recommended it to my table mates.  That was on the Zaandam.  Our best food experience overall was on the Nieuw Statendam.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The daily steak, Caesar salad and herbed checked is available in the MDR but you are right it is not listed.  The crème  brûlée and onion soup depend on how the staff feels.  I am not happy about that either.  

Good to know, although I will say it was a well guarded secret.  I tend to read all the literature and menus and nowhere did I see where this was available.  Also clearly our waitstaff could see on a couple occasions where I was struggling to find something I wanted, and they never offered any alternatives. 

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

May I ask why you did not "insist" that I will order dessert when I am done with my entree?  Some guest "pushback" is required at times.  And, if the waiter gets "huffy", it's time for a visit with the DRM.  

Insisting on something is generally not my style, and I'm not so set in my ways.  I'm a go with the flow type of person even if it's not exactly my style or taste.  Of course there are exceptions if it's important enough to me, but generally I let my preferences be known on the post-cruise survey (which I did), and where I spend my money on the next cruise, and there is always a next cruise.  In fact NORWEGIAN PRIMA is next in a couple weeks, then VALIANT LADY in December.   I love variety. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Thanks too for your review and thoughts on the good and not so good.  And congrats on reaching 3*! 

Thank you so much ... and it only took 43 years!  LOL  Obviously HAL is not my "go-to" cruise line, but I do enjoy them on occasion.  Within the premium category I'm more a Celebrity Cruises person. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Interesting to read this review.  We were on the sister ship Eurodam for a 16-day cruise recently.  HAL clearly made entertainment more of a priority for our cruise, with a house band in Ocean Bar most evenings and some decent acts on Mainstage.  They did add in an additional dish or two each day for breakfast and lunch in MDR because of the longer cruise and had some decent fish and meat options, including grilled salmon most evenings.  Desserts were still pretty tasteless though.  Our room stewards were excellent; MDR service varied a bit, but mostly pretty good.

Not all ships are created equal, even within the same cruise line.  Cruise lines try to be consistent but there are just too many variables at play that can change up the experience.   It's one reason I never write-off a cruise line based on one experience.  I'm glad you had a house band in the Ocean Bar.  I would have been happy with even a piano player or solo guitarist.  I love some music with pre-dinner cocktails and this was sorely missed. 

I did hear this 5-day cruise I was on was originally a charter that fell though.  That may have played a part in the lack of music and entertainment.  Just a thought. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Ernie - another outstanding and balanced review as always.

We liked NA in prior years also and next HAL cruise is in 11 months on ROTTERDAM T/A.

Hope food budget loosens a bit by then or it will be a long 15 days……especially if no more “always available” selections.

You are quite welcome and glad you enjoyed it. 

A transatlantic on ROTTERDAM sounds lovely.  They are my favorite cruises (usually on Cunard) ... but I loved NIEUW STATENDAM (sister to ROTTERDAM). 

Looks like you can get "always available" items but they are not advertised.  Keep that in mind!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

We were just ahead of you on the NA Panama Canal cruise and we also had a band in Ocean Bar every night -- sometimes three people, usually four.  Our dining options sound similar to yours as well.  So differences perhaps based on length of cruise and itineraries.  I do wish the MDR could calm down a bit, though.  It's just gotten very hectic, in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, eroller said:

id hear this 5-day cruise I was on was originally a charter that fell though.  That may have played a part in the lack of music and entertainment.  Just a thought.

Someone else had complaints about a 5 day HAL cruise,,maybe the same as yours.  I was not even aware HAL did a 5 day cruise except for a few Pacific coast vineyard runs and I always assumed those were repositioning from Alaska to Mexico and beyond.  I did a 7 day HAL this year and sis and I swore we will never do a cruise less than 12 days ever again,.  DH and I only do 30 days or more and yes the experience escalates with the length.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, eroller said:

I'm a go with the flow type of person even if it's not exactly my style or taste. 

I am the same kind of person.  Makes life easier and more pleasant.  Most of the time.  My opinion:  unless your waiter's "need" to get your dessert order at the beginning of your dining experience was a dining room management "policy", then, your waiter was being "lazy" and he/she was not wanting to make another trip back to the Galley to get your dessert when it was the appropriate time to do so.  

1 minute ago, eroller said:

Cruise lines try to be consistent

Do you disagree with my experience that the most consistent experience on HAL is the inconsistency of the cruise experience at this point of time?  

When I began cruising on HAL in 1970, and for several cruises afterwards going into the 1980's and 1990's, my HAL cruises were very consistent in every category that one could imagine.  

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We were just ahead of you on the NA Panama Canal cruise and we also had a band in Ocean Bar every night -- sometimes three people, usually four.  Our dining options sound similar to yours as well.  So differences perhaps based on length of cruise and itineraries.  I do wish the MDR could calm down a bit, though.  It's just gotten very hectic, in my opinion.

Good to hear.  Frankly the lack of live music surprised me, especially after a Celebrity cruise the month prior where live music was everywhere.  I did hear this short 5-day cruise was originally a charter that fell through, and that may have played a role in the lack of entertainment.  Also the 7-day cruise after (the one that returned today) was also a full-ship charter, and they had their own entertainment.  So perhaps HAL just didn't bring on the usual live entertainment for this short cruise? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1