What happens if debarkation port changes?

Maplemoose

Probably wishful thinking but it could depend on the ports involved.  If NCL booked the flights they might arrange for new flights. Otherwise it probably is an insurance claim.

Not an actual port change but in Seattle the Spirit returned to a different dock (planned, not weather related) but there wasn't any notice given. So you get off the ship and realize your car that you parked across from the NCL terminal is now miles away.  As far as I know people were on their own.

4 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

So a hurricane hits or some other unforeseen occurrence. You already have your flight booked from the original port. Does NCLprovide any compensation or is that wishful thinking? 

There are only a few instances of this. And once this year when NCL disembarked the Escape in the Dominican Republic instead of Miami. It takes a. Bunch of 250 passenger charter flights to get 3000 passengers home. (Can you say unorganized chaos).  

Remember that the contract you sign by buying a ticket allows the cruise line to make any changes they want without compensation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

I am not sure if you are asking specifically about compensation or not. There would be no compensation. The cruise line would assist in getting people to where they need to be. My guess is that you are concerned with the storm in FL. If it is only a few days, they may not return to port as scheduled or go to another FL port. If that is the case, they would work with getting shuttles to go from say POM to MCO or work with passengers and flights to for a change from MIA or FLL instead of say MCO. But no, you are not getting anything from a cruise line other than that.

Had this happen a few years ago.    Instead of Miami we disembarked in New Orleans.  Was able to change our flights on line (no charge for internet). They did reimburse us for  additional charges.   Those that drove to port had chartered flights back to Miami at no cost.  Many complaints from those people though.   But some people complain no matter what.  We got a 7 day cruise extended to 9 days.  No complaints from us !  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

So a hurricane hits or some other unforeseen occurrence. You already have your flight booked from the original port. Does NCLprovide any compensation or is that wishful thinking? 

Contrary to what some others have said, under NCL's Guest Ticket Contract there are specific circumstances where NCL is obligated to provide alternative transportation to your original debarkation port or your home city. 

Per paragraph 7 (f), they will provide such transportation in the event of mechanical failure:

"(f) Mechanical Failures of the Vessel: In the event of cancellation of voyage due to mechanical failures of the vessel, the Guest will be entitled to a full refund of the cruise fare, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures. In the event a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the vessel, the Guest is also entitled to transportation to the vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Guest’s home city, at Carrier’s discretion and expense, as well as lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at Carrier’s expense."

In other circumstances such as a weather-related change , even if a cruise line is not contractually obligated to provide transportation to the originally scheduled debarkation port, if they did not do so the negative publicity would be substantial and I'm not personally aware of any cases where a cruise line hasn't assisted passengers . One or two posters have already provided examples of that.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

In other circumstances such as a weather-related change , even if a cruise line is not contractually obligated to provide transportation to the originally scheduled debarkation port, if they did not do so the negative publicity would be substantial and I'm not personally aware of any cases where a cruise line hasn't assisted passengers . One or two posters have already provided examples of that.

History shows that NCL does not care about publicity. That’s what insurance is for.

NCL is famous for “the cruise must go on” even if you can’t get to the departure port. In April, there was a storm over central Florida (Orlando) that cancelled most flights throughout the state. Even though Miami was sunny, no flights could get there. On our cruise, over 600 passengers missed departure. Some drove from as far as Texas to make the cruise because flight were cancelled. 

51 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

History shows that NCL does not care about publicity. That’s what insurance is for.

NCL is famous for “the cruise must go on” even if you can’t get to the departure port. In April, there was a storm over central Florida (Orlando) that cancelled most flights throughout the state. Even though Miami was sunny, no flights could get there. On our cruise, over 600 passengers missed departure. Some drove from as far as Texas to make the cruise because flight were cancelled. 

Yes, there have been many  times when weather prevented passengers from  getting to an embarkation port and the cruise departed without them, but we are discussing debarkation port changes due to weather or other circumstances in this thread. 

Please read post #6. NCL did provide reimbursement of additional expenses incurred as well as charter flights at no cost for those passengers needing them.

There's a huge difference between stranding passengers in a port due to weather conditions encountered while a cruise is underway and not being able to accommodate passengers who were unable to embark because weather prevented them from getting to the ship. 

In all my years of travel, as well as my years as a travel agency owner the only times I can recall passengers already on board a cruise being left high and dry by a cruise line were when the cruise line had ships arrested for failure to meet their financial obligations. 

39 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, there have been many  times when weather prevented passengers from  getting to an embarkation port and the cruise departed without them, but we are discussing debarkation port changes due to weather or other circumstances in this thread. 

Please read post #6. NCL did provide reimbursement of additional expenses incurred as well as charter flights at no cost for those passengers needing them.

There's a huge difference between stranding passengers in a port due to weather conditions encountered while a cruise is underway and not being able to accommodate passengers who were unable to embark because weather prevented them from getting to the ship. 

In all my years of travel, as well as my years as a travel agency owner the only times I can recall passengers already on board a cruise being left high and dry by a cruise line were when the cruise line had ships arrested for failure to meet their financial obligations. 

Not stranding passengers is one thing. The OP’s hypothetical situation is very very very very rare. Because there are very very very rare situations where a port like Miami remains closed for more than a day. Yup, I think it was the breakaway that ended up in NOLA and trying to get charters for a full 4000+ passengers into thy MSY was a disaster as a was the termination of the Escape in the DR was a disaster. 

We’ll see in a couple of days from now….

The premise of the quoted post was that NCL would do anything to avoid negative publicity,,, which is simply not true. NCL could care less about negative publicity. They are running a business,,, which, as a share holder, I am happy about. 

We got diverted by NCL a few weeks ago for undisclosed reasons and got nothing in return. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Years ago we were on another line that sailed out of NOLA on a 7 day cruise.  By our final evening the Mississippi had risen suddenly and the river was unnavigable for our ship.  Provision was made to offload us in Gulfport MS at the Chicita warehouse.   Every bus in the area from NOLA to Mobile was called in to transport people to their cars at the dock or the airport.   It was pretty well handled all things considered and then they had to get everyone from the NO pier to Gulfport because most people were in transit by the time emails went out and this was pre text messaging.  This went on for six weeks until the mighty Mississippi slimmed down enough to accommodate larger ships again.

and let us not forget when Ike hit Galveston.  Of course none of those cars were salvageable, which was a whole different kind of mess.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The premise of the quoted post was that NCL would do anything to avoid negative publicity,,,

No, I didn't say that. I said "the negative publicity would be substantial". Nowhere did I use words like "would do anything".

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

We got diverted by NCL a few weeks ago for undisclosed reasons and got nothing in return. 

Diverted, as in ports of call changed? Yes, that is very common. No, you don't normally receive any compensation for it and contractually  no compensation is due. 

The OP's question and this thread are about one circumstance and one circumstance only, the final disembarkation port being changed.  Yes it's rare, but is has happened and surely will happen again. 

You're diverting the discussion and ignoring the OP's question by talking about passengers not making it to the embarkation port and ports of call being changed. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to let you know what prompted my question. I am booked on the Joy next September the very week when Fiona hit this year. Will be flying to NYC from Halifax for cruuse that ends in Quebec City. So my imagination led me to thinking of the cruise reversing and going south to avoid a hurricane hittimg the northeast, debarking instesd down south, 4000 pax in Miami instead of Quebec. Hopefully, a long shot but a point to ponder. Now, Bird and Horse, I appreciate both of your opinions, so stop arguing or I  will alert PETA. 😁

This happened to us years ago when Hurricane Katrina hit.  Instead of going to Tampa we went to Ft. Lauderdale and the cruise line (Carnival) was bussing everyone to Tampa.  I called our airline (Delta) and they changed our flights to go home from Ft. Lauderdale at no charge.  Tampa airport was closed and they couldn't get us out from there anyway.