FeverTree Tonic (again)

Host Jazzbeau

New article on Porthole magazine about Holland America's proprietary Gin shows it next to a bottle of FeverTree Premium Indian Tonic:

https://porthole.com/holland-america-line-launches-new-de-lijn-gin-for-150th-anniversary/

If a mainstream cruise line [under the tight control of Carnival] is able to source FeverTree, Azamara's excuses begin to look pretty lame...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

New article on Porthole magazine about Holland America's proprietary Gin shows it next to a bottle of FeverTree Premium Indian Tonic:

https://porthole.com/holland-america-line-launches-new-de-lijn-gin-for-150th-anniversary/

If a mainstream cruise line [under the tight control of Carnival] is able to source FeverTree, Azamara's excuses begin to look pretty lame...

It wasn't clear to me in the article if the Fever Tree tonic will be available throughout the ship or only in the Pinnacle Grill as part of the featured signature G & T. Last time I had FT was on Crystal last year. It would be interesting is a mass market line like HAL uses it at all bars. 

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

Even if fevertree was available but restricted to the Ultimate package if the bean counters are so worried. At least then the premium gins wouldn’t be clubbed to death. 

Quite agree. On Quest now the main tonic is Royal Club or Canadian if you want a sugar free version. Schweppes is available, but you have to ask for it. I did find a bottle of Britvic tonic at the Pool Bar which was OK. I put a heartfelt plea in my halfway feedback asking them to ditch Royal Club. I got a phone call assuring me that they would make sure Schweppes was available all the bars. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Quite agree. On Quest now the main tonic is Royal Club or Canadian if you want a sugar free version. Schweppes is available, but you have to ask for it. I did find a bottle of Britvic tonic at the Pool Bar which was OK. I put a heartfelt plea in my halfway feedback asking them to ditch Royal Club. I got a phone call assuring me that they would make sure Schweppes was available all the bars. 

Sadly that’s the standard Quest answer that was trotted out in April and July. It annoys me they keep pushing the inferior rubbish and only if you complain might they get you a better product. Be very careful- we found if we did not watch some bar staff they still swapped in Club when you ordered a gin with Schweppes because they thought you did not see what they were adding. We asked for gin and a can on the side after we realised what was happening 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They never said [admitted] that cost was the issue.  They always claimed it was too difficult to ensure supply throughout the world.  HAL sails all around the world too...

One Hotel Director did albeit he was new to that role. I’m not sure if it was the excuse he spun or he hadn’t been given the supply script to read 

The Royal tonic is vile , so is Britvic ,I pass on the G and T If that’s all on offer , Schweppes is fine , Fever Tree is my preference , I feel that as our US friends are not such ardent Gin drinkers and the drinks are drowned in ice that is the way it will be . My husband and I always upgrade our drinks package as he likes high end whiskey and I’m partial to champagne.

long live Tonicgate 🤣🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They never said [admitted] that cost was the issue.  They always claimed it was too difficult to ensure supply throughout the world.  HAL sails all around the world too...

If my memory serves me right I started one of the original Tonicgate threads (happy to be corrected) and one of those who contributed was the then UK MD for Azamara Richard Twynam, (BTW the new MD of Scenic Cruise UK and Ireland).

He did state that the price of Fevertree was an issue, however, (and I have posted this a few months back) he offered that Schweppes would be stocked fleet wide by Azamara.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, norn iron said:

If my memory serves me right I started one of the original Tonicgate threads (happy to be corrected) and one of those who contributed was the then UK MD for Azamara Richard Twynam, (BTW the new MD of Scenic Cruise UK and Ireland).

He did state that the price of Fevertree was an issue, however, (and I have posted this a few months back) he offered that Schweppes would be stocked fleet wide by Azamara.

I defer to your memory and stand corrected.  Still, as you imply, his promise that Schweppes would be stocked fleet wide never happened with any regularity.

If cost is the issue, I would gladly pay a small premium [it's not single malt after all] to upgrade each G&T.  Or it could be an added selling point for the Ultimate package.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I defer to your memory and stand corrected.  Still, as you imply, his promise that Schweppes would be stocked fleet wide never happened with any regularity.

If cost is the issue, I would gladly pay a small premium [it's not single malt after all] to upgrade each G&T.  Or it could be an added selling point for the Ultimate package.

I think the main issue is that there is nobody near the top of the tree making decisions on drink provisions who understands how much the mixers influence the taste. If they came here and read the (many) comments they might just do something, but for now the Royal saga continues.  Premium it's not. 

Phil 

• Like 6

This is a huge bugbear of ours on MSC. The obnoxious Royal Club Tonic reigns supreme there, even in the Yacht Club. The ridiculous thing is that the YC in cabin minibar is stocked with Fever Tree. Our past two cruises I even raised this with the YC Director, who could not give me a reasoned answer as to why FT is provided in the minibar, yet unavailable in the YC lounge!

In the end when desiring G&T, I simply trotted along to our cabin and returned with the requisite number of FT bottles. This clearly embarrassed the lounge crew, and it was hysterical watching them discreetly pour our FT bottles for us. They were not happy to serve gin with ice only, and for us to pour the FT presumably because the bottles would then be in full view to everyone else.

Even I drew the line at walking through the non-YC areas with a couple of FT bottles to pour in one of the Atrium lounge areas. First world problem TBF, but truly irksome....you all have my sympathies in this regard!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 4

Schweppes would sensibly be an easy widely available stock item as it would be an inclusion with the CocaCola supply.  

I’ve long taken the view that Azamara reject calls for Fever Tree on financial grounds along with a lack of understanding and/or care at a level where procurement decisions are made.

While I acknowledge airlines often have supply issues down route and are often stocked with alternatives, supplying a ship is very different and there isn’t a just in time nature to a long life beverage supply chain for a ship.  Its hardly as if any Azamara ship is regularly taking on listed beverage supplies at random ports outside the supply chain. 

• Like 1

As I was reading this thread, it reminded me I owe all the Fever Tree fans on this board an expression of appreciation. 4-5 years ago Fever Tree was not widely known in the U.S. My husband and I were in Scotland prior to an AZ cruise and we were buying gin to enjoy in our hotel room.  I said “let’s get this Fever Tree tonic that’s what everyone on Cruisecritic says is the best”…well of course we will accept nothing else now and were very happy when it became more available in the U.S….although we admit to a little hoarding due to occasional supply chain issues! Azamara…PLEASE OFFER FEVER TREE!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Schweppes spotted being poured in Spirits bar onboard Onward this evening.  Not sure how long it has been onboard.  Up until now I had only witnessed Royal Club on board, but I may have not been paying too close attention.

I suspect as with many things it was onboard but they had poor stock control. So I think you had indeed been paying attention

Unfortunately Atlas has had the abomination Club all cruise with no Schweppes even last night. Last night the back of Atlas was cluttered up with tea cups and silver jugs it was as if someone had unpacked a box they’d found. But sadly no decent tonic. The other night we’d to wait 30 minutes whilst they found Aviation gin - it should not be like that! 

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

I suspect as with many things it was onboard but they had poor stock control. So I think you had indeed been paying attention

Unfortunately Atlas has had the abomination Club all cruise with no Schweppes even last night. Last night the back of Atlas was cluttered up with tea cups and silver jugs it was as if someone had unpacked a box they’d found. But sadly no decent tonic. The other night we’d to wait 30 minutes whilst they found Aviation gin - it should not be like that! 

Did you put lack of Schweppes down in your feedback form. I did so on Quest & got a call saying they would make sure Schweppes was available in every bar - and they did.

21 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Did you put lack of Schweppes down in your feedback form. I did so on Quest & got a call saying they would make sure Schweppes was available in every bar - and they did.

Firstly no form was issued at all on Onward it’s a small QR code hidden in the Insider one day and most people miss it.

I suspect re bar issues it would have been pointless- we had a conversation with the F and B manager about the passing off of sparkling white wine as champagne. He confirmed there WAS champagne onboard (Nicolas) and it would be in the Atlas bar that night. It wasn’t. 
Bar supervisor denied there was any champagne. Next day back to F and B. He was pretty angry with whoever was blocking things.

There is now Nicolas in Atlas but if you’re not careful they still serve you the sparkling wine instead. 

The level below senior officer are not really as competent as they should be. The bar staff just do as the supervisors say. 

Re tonic couldn’t stand the hassle so bought our own supplies ashore and topped it up when stock got low- it was far easier than this no we don’t have yes you do have hassle 

So future guests on Onward be aware mid cruise feedback forms are not obvious and no mention is made of them unlike on the other ships. If you want to give feedback you have to search out how to do it (HD is also not quite as visible as on other ships - maybe all the meetings are keeping them elsewhere) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uktog said:

So future guests on Onward be aware mid cruise feedback forms are not obvious and no mention is made of them unlike on the other ships. If you want to give feedback you have to search out how to do it (HD is also not quite as visible as on other ships - maybe all the meetings are keeping them elsewhere) 

Interestingly, we had printed forms on both of our b2bs. (12 November and 20 November.) In your shoes I’d ask at Guest Relations for a printed one. They could probably do that for you. I much prefer the paper one.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 2:28 PM, uktog said:

Firstly no form was issued at all on Onward it’s a small QR code hidden in the Insider one day and most people miss it.

I suspect re bar issues it would have been pointless- we had a conversation with the F and B manager about the passing off of sparkling white wine as champagne. He confirmed there WAS champagne onboard (Nicolas) and it would be in the Atlas bar that night. It wasn’t. 
Bar supervisor denied there was any champagne. Next day back to F and B. He was pretty angry with whoever was blocking things.

There is now Nicolas in Atlas but if you’re not careful they still serve you the sparkling wine instead. 

The level below senior officer are not really as competent as they should be. The bar staff just do as the supervisors say. 

Re tonic couldn’t stand the hassle so bought our own supplies ashore and topped it up when stock got low- it was far easier than this no we don’t have yes you do have hassle 

We found the QR code and decided if they didn’t want feed back mid cruise that we’d just put it on the end of cruise evaluation!