Question - Booking onboard and releasing to my agent's group space

bandp407

Does anyone onboard or from experience know the following.  We are sailing on the 27th and would like to book a July & August  sailing onboard-to take advantage of the  BF OBC and the booking onboard $150 ( in our case) .  Our agent has advised that he has group space for that sailing. If I book a refundable at the prevailing Celebrity rate with my agent of record, can he take over the booking and move into his group with the group rate?  For some reason I think that I read on one of these boards, that Celebrity is no longer permitting that.  If that is the case I will book it now and not risk loosing his group rate. 

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

5 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Does anyone onboard or from experience know the following.  We are sailing on the 27th and would like to book a July & August  sailing onboard-to take advantage of the  BF OBC and the booking onboard $150 ( in our case) .  Our agent has advised that he has group space for that sailing. If I book a refundable at the prevailing Celebrity rate with my agent of record, can he take over the booking and move into his group with the group rate?  For some reason I think that I read on one of these boards, that Celebrity is no longer permitting that.  If that is the case I will book it now and not risk loosing his group rate. 

We've done that multiple times in the past so if Celebrity is no longer doing it that would be something new.

(When you book onboard, if you have an agent of record the new cruise should automatically go to your agent. Check with the onboard booking person that that will happen Then when you get home your agent can just move the cruise into his/her group. You might then be responsible for a larger deposit but you should still keep all the  benefits you got from booking on board.)

58 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

He should have no problem doing that, And on the off chance that there is a problem you have a refundable booking so just cancel and start over

If we had to cancel we would loose the BF $200 as we return after it’s over on Dec 3. I am simply going to confirm with the agent onboard that the booking can move into group space. Thanks for you reply!

52 minutes ago, chamima said:

We've done that multiple times in the past so if Celebrity is no longer doing it that would be something new.

(When you book onboard, if you have an agent of record the new cruise should automatically go to your agent. Check with the onboard booking person that that will happen Then when you get home your agent can just move the cruise into his/her group. You might then be responsible for a larger deposit but you should still keep all the  benefits you got from booking on board.)

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I’ve done it before and simply added the additional deposit. Was just concerned that this option may have changed. 🤞

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have booked on board and moved the booking to a TA with groups rates.  We have, however, had to pay the normal deposit when we moving  the booking not the $100 pp deposit.

Perfect - thank you!

6 minutes ago, chamima said:

I have another suggestion - maybe find someone doing a "Live From" thread and ask them your question about the change. The rest of us answering from home may not have current info about new changes.

You are the best - great suggestion ! There are a few “Live From” !! 

• Thanks 1

For all of you who have followed this thread........ Someone onboard the Reflection did confirm with the Future Cruise Desk that yes, you can book onboard and have  your agent move into group space if available. The higher deposit will apply.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Yep once the reservation is established on board and is transferred to the travel agent it’s not treated any differently than a re-price. So the agent can go into the reservation and re-price it into their group space and group rates and then save the reservation. You will then have to pay the additional deposit amount.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:12 AM, bandp407 said:

Simple answer- YES.  BUT.  If you book on board and your current cruise is with a TA; your new booking will automatically be moved to that same TA.  You then need to carefully watch as we have done this several times.  Only one time went through with only a call to our TA that it was booked.  The rest were a bit of a hassle

I do suggest calling your TA when on board with the new booking number so you can verify all is correct.

Remember the OBC is $100 for a veranda on a 7 day cruise.  You are limited to the promo in effect (doesn't change the perks your TA offers).  Maybe not worth it?

On 11/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, bandp407 said:

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I’ve done it before and simply added the additional deposit. Was just concerned that this option may have changed. 🤞

We've booked onboard multiple times at the going rate and then transferred to a TA group rate. The price difference typically end up going toward the larger deposit. 

Edited by kathynorth

15 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Simple answer- YES.  BUT.  If you book on board and your current cruise is with a TA; your new booking will automatically be moved to that same TA.  You then need to carefully watch as we have done this several times.  Only one time went through with only a call to our TA that it was booked.  The rest were a bit of a hassle

I do suggest calling your TA when on board with the new booking number so you can verify all is correct.

Remember the OBC is $100 for a veranda on a 7 day cruise.  You are limited to the promo in effect (doesn't change the perks your TA offers).  Maybe not worth it?

Yes, your new cruise will go to the TA you booked the current cruise with. If you want something different then tell the booking agent on board .

Also, it has happened to us a few times that Celebrity didn't let our TA know of the new cruise and she had to go searching for it so KEEP ALL PAPERWORK!!!

(It's a pet peeve with me that Princess is able to not only keep everything straight but also all of my cruises , FCCs and other details are able to be viewed by me online. If Princess can do it then Celebrity ought to be able to figure it out.)

I would call your agent and ask for recommendations.    If you are using the same agent as the cruise you will be sailing on,  the reservation will automatically be assigned to that agent.   I presume that your agent has a better rate and I don't think anyone could advise if he could or would adjust your price after booking aboard.

Another alternative to ask him about is the use of a Future Booking Certificate.   Theoretically he could use that certificate and book under their group rate.    Only you agent can advise best way instead of guessing.

A little Off Topic but I found out we can Book a Future Cruise on a Royal Ship at the Future Cruise dept. of a Celebrity Ship but Not a Celebrity Cruise on a Royal ship.

I know as we have tried both.

OK so why would we want to sail on a Royal ship  as we Love Celebrity?

Because the Big Oasis class Royal Ships have the most amazing Entertainment of any cruise ship.

I can put up with the rug rats for a 7 night cruise to experience (Multiple Times) the Diving, Ice Skating, Broadway Shows and the Glorious Central Park (real plants) on those ships.

Then Back to the Celebrity  M and S class ships to relax........Cruise on...........

Just a little off topic here, can I just put money down for a booking while on board the ship without deciding what cruise to go? And when I find a cruise I want to go I will on, I will transfer it to an agent of my preference later on and still get the onboard credit? In other words, do I specifically have to pick a cruise? And do I absolutely need to include the agent record while I'm making a booking on the ship?

Finally, if the new agent also offer amenities, can they be combined with the onboard credit I get from making a blank booking while on the ship?

Edited by FeelingCruisy

1 hour ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Just a little off topic here, can I just put money down for a booking while on board the ship without deciding what cruise to go? And when I find a cruise I want to go I will on, I will transfer it to an agent of my preference later on and still get the onboard credit? In other words, do I specifically have to pick a cruise? And do I absolutely need to include the agent record while I'm making a booking on the ship?

Finally, if the new agent also offer amenities, can they be combined with the onboard credit I get from making a blank booking while on the ship?

Yes that is what was recommended earlier.   They are called a Future Cruise Certificate and you have 90 days to book a cruise.   Many agents including mine give additional perks for the booking in addition to what is offered by Celebrity.

If you are booked with an agent the reservation or the Future Cruise Certificate will automatically be assigned to them unless you ask to be in your name only.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:12 AM, bandp407 said:

You do have 30 days from when you booked it for a TA to take a cruise over.  They are STRICT on that.