Hubbard Glacier excursion

beluga_baby

Does Princess do an excursion at Hubbard Glacier where passengers can get on a smaller boat and get closer to the glacier? I'm booked on an Alaska cruise to Hubbard but the excursion isn't listed. I'm hoping it will pop up closer to the sailing, as I'm sure Princess still has to arrange things with their local partners, but I would be really bummed if this excursion isn't offered. And if it is offered, has anyone done it before? What is the price like, and did you like the excursion? 

We did one called Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer (actually in Endicot since Tracy was still frozen over) in 2017.  It was only done on some itineraries from Seattle that have later arrival into Juneau where the tour boat returns you directly to the ship.   It was $377.92 for 2.  ETA: we loved it.

Edited by Papa Yoda
  • Like 2

We did a canoe excursion that went up to Hubbard Glacier when the ship was docked in Juneau.  It also included a stop to taste beer at Alaska Brewing.  I believe it was a Discovery Channel excursion called Paddle & Pours.

• Like 1

We sailed with Princess in June and did the Hubbard Glacier & Wilderness Exploration tour that off loaded from the ship --- absolutely wonderful.  We were very fortunate and saw lots of calving.  Lots of space to move around on the tour boat and we were able to get lots of good photographs.  I have attached a couple of my favorite pictures.  We are sailing once again with Princess in July and will be taking the same excursion.  Pricing is $299.95 per person.  

DSC_8930-c1.thumb.JPG.1056ae52e3d5402f9017f2f144ce5458.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, beluga_baby said:

Does Princess do an excursion at Hubbard Glacier where passengers can get on a smaller boat and get closer to the glacier? I'm booked on an Alaska cruise to Hubbard but the excursion isn't listed. I'm hoping it will pop up closer to the sailing, as I'm sure Princess still has to arrange things with their local partners, but I would be really bummed if this excursion isn't offered. And if it is offered, has anyone done it before? What is the price like, and did you like the excursion? 

If this one doesn’t work out there is another option that may work for you if you’re going to be in Alaska for a few days before or after your cruise. Between Anchorage and Seward there is a glacier named Exit Glacier where you can walk right up to the glacier itself if you’re so inclined. It does require a rental car to get to from the city and a little walk that gets a little longer each year as the glacier recedes. 
It is accessed from a nice little park with info on the history of the glacier and signs marking where the leading edge of the glacier was over each decade of the last century or two as I recall. Best of all access is free and there used to be a park ranger on the hiking trail or one other overlooks leading up to the glacier. 
The last time or two we visited you could walk the upper trail to the top of the glacier or the lower to its base. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beluga_baby said:

Thanks everyone. Our glacier day is just the glacier, we don't go off to Juneau or another port later in the day. I wonder if they don't offer it on those kind of days? Either way I'll keep an eye on our excursions page.

What ship and date are you sailing?

5 hours ago, Asquare said:

We did a canoe excursion that went up to Hubbard Glacier when the ship was docked in Juneau. 

You must be talking about the tour to Mendenhall Glacier then. That's a whole other place, and it's not a tidewater glacier.

Hubbard Glacier is more than 200 miles northwest of Juneau in Yakutat Bay / Disenchantment Bay.

2 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I just booked the Hubbard Glacier and Wildlife Exploration excursion for $299.95 an adult for my June 2 Crown Princess cruise.

This excursion doesn't show up for the April 29 Alaska cruise on the Sapphire. Maybe it's too early in the season for that, as a local vessel is used for this tour.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

You must be talking about the tour to Mendenhall Glacier then. That's a whole other place, and it's not a tidewater glacier.

Hubbard Glacier is more than 200 miles northwest of Juneau in Yakutat Bay / Disenchantment Bay.

This excursion doesn't show up for the April 29 Alaska cruise on the Sapphire. Maybe it's too early in the season for that, as a local vessel is used for this tour.

My bad…

18 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We sailed with Princess in June and did the Hubbard Glacier & Wilderness Exploration tour that off loaded from the ship --- absolutely wonderful.  We were very fortunate and saw lots of calving.  Lots of space to move around on the tour boat and we were able to get lots of good photographs.  I have attached a couple of my favorite pictures.  We are sailing once again with Princess in July and will be taking the same excursion.  Pricing is $299.95 per person.  

This is a great experience with two cautions.

The ship is very crowded and the weather can be anything from sunny and calm to very rough.  Rough weather will cancell the excursion.

To see a glacier close up suggest EXIT GLACIER.  It is about 10 miles north of Seward with a hike that is on a good trail.  Family friendly.

Also Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward is an all day tour leaving from Seward in the boat Basin.  A don't miss.  To do this spend a night in Seward before or after your cruise.

9 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

This is a great experience with two cautions.

The ship is very crowded and the weather can be anything from sunny and calm to very rough.  Rough weather will cancell the excursion.

To see a glacier close up suggest EXIT GLACIER.  It is about 10 miles north of Seward with a hike that is on a good trail.  Family friendly.

Also Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward is an all day tour leaving from Seward in the boat Basin.  A don't miss.  To do this spend a night in Seward before or after your cruise.

We have taken the Hubbard excursion about three times and have never had issues with crowding or rough weather -- maybe we just got lucky.  We have also had two experiences where we had one vendor cancellation and one cancellation due to fog so we know it can sometimes have its drawbacks --- but, it is a chance we are willing to take.

We have also been to Seward quite a few times and taken the Kenai Fjords boat tour as well as a trip to Exit Glacier.  Our cruise does not go to Seward but I am sure others will find your post helpful.

Therese,  It depends on the ship's itineraries and port times.

I know that Hubbard Glacier is usually visited on Southbound itineraries from Anchorage/Whittier.

It is further North.

Not sure, from San Francisco, what itinerary or different back-to-back legs you might be booking.

But, there are several different ships and itineraries in Alaska now.

I have done the 27 Glacier tour from Whittier, on our own, not thru Princess, before boarding an Alaska cruise at Whittier.

There are also opportunities to do these smaller boat glacier tours in the fjords when visiting Tracy Arm Fjord or Endicott Arm.  There are a few itineraries that have an all-day port time at Juneau, and the tour of the Fjord can be done on your own from Juneau.

NOTE:  I just looked at the San F. itineraries.  If my search was right, it shows two round-trip from San Francisco.  And it looks like the only small boat glacier excursion possible might be on the itinerary that visits the Fjord, it lists Endicott Arm.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, Italy52 said:

Beautiful!  I'm planning to book this excursion for my Crown sailing in August 2023 and appreciate your comments!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LEtue said:

Beautiful!  I'm planning to book this excursion for my Crown sailing in August 2023 and appreciate your comments!

Your welcome.  I know this excursion is not everyone's cup of tea.  However, the excitement of being  close to the glacier, hearing the boom of the calving and watching the incredible ice falling from the glacier is so amazing.  Hope you have a wonderful experience.

13 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Therese,  It depends on the ship's itineraries and port times.

I know that Hubbard Glacier is usually visited on Southbound itineraries from Anchorage/Whittier.

It is further North.

Not sure, from San Francisco, what itinerary or different back-to-back legs you might be booking.

But, there are several different ships and itineraries in Alaska now.

I have done the 27 Glacier tour from Whittier, on our own, not thru Princess, before boarding an Alaska cruise at Whittier.

There are also opportunities to do these smaller boat glacier tours in the fjords when visiting Tracy Arm Fjord or Endicott Arm.  There are a few itineraries that have an all-day port time at Juneau, and the tour of the Fjord can be done on your own from Juneau.

NOTE:  I just looked at the San F. itineraries.  If my search was right, it shows two round-trip from San Francisco.  And it looks like the only small boat glacier excursion possible might be on the itinerary that visits the Fjord, it lists Endicott Arm.

Thank you so much for your research.  I will look more closely at the SF itineraries.  I didn’t see any excursions offered on the glacier viewing day but did see what I think you’re referring to on the Endicott Arm/Dawes glacier day.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, EDVM96 said:

On 11/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, Italy52 said:

My wife and I did this excursion from the Royal early in June this year. Have signed up for it again for next June, this time on the Sapphire. Full boat but didn't seem crowded. Had great weather.

Edited by travelbuds
response accidentally to wrong post.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:06 AM, PurpleTraveller said:

I just booked the Hubbard Glacier and Wildlife Exploration excursion for $299.95 an adult for my June 2 Crown Princess cruise. This excursion did not become available until two weeks after the excursions for the other ports became available.

I am on your sailing June 2!   I am debating this excursion, almost daily I check to see how many tickets are still available.    Last time I went to Alaska we went to Glacier Bay and I felt my cabin was fine.  I also did a glacier tour to Tracy Arm/ Glacier viewing from Juneau that I do not see listed on the Princess website but on the NCL site, that got up close with a Glacier.   (My last cruise was out of Sydney!  I miss my annual trip to OZ, spending Christmas in Australia. I am glad to see that things are opening up more there now and that I may one day have the option to go back!  )

1 hour ago, Nelsj099 said:

I am on your sailing June 2!   I am debating this excursion, almost daily I check to see how many tickets are still available.    Last time I went to Alaska we went to Glacier Bay and I felt my cabin was fine.  I also did a glacier tour to Tracy Arm/ Glacier viewing from Juneau that I do not see listed on the Princess website but on the NCL site, that got up close with a Glacier.   (My last cruise was out of Sydney!  I miss my annual trip to OZ, spending Christmas in Australia. I am glad to see that things are opening up more there now and that I may one day have the option to go back!  )

Good to see that you are also going to be on the June 2 sailing! I booked the excursion because even though I have cruised past glaciers before (Amalia Glacier and Glacier Alley in Chile) I haven't been up close to a glacier. This is our big splurge excursion for this cruise and didn't want to take the chance that I might miss out, so booked as soon as it became available. I am really looking forward to it and the cruise.

Australia is open for business and tourists again so maybe you could plan to come for Christmas 2023! We'd love to have you back again!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

Australia is open for business and tourists again so maybe you could plan to come for Christmas 2023! We'd love to have you back again!

Ya, I know! But, I live in China.  Right now it is 8 days quarantine, down from the 21 days I did in 2021 and the 14 days I did in 2020 but it makes short holidays difficult. 🥲  I had great plans to fly to Sydney for a concert in 2020 just for the weekend to see some friends.  How times change.