Worth Upgrading

Tiggipaws

Good morning

Thinking of booking a cruise on the Sky Princess saling on the 2nd December 2023 to the Caribbean, Is it worth upgrading to a mini suite deck 10 midships from a Balcony cabin (BB) ON deck 11 mid aft. The differnce in price is £480 which I believe is $579.63. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

I'd pass.  I book the room I'll be happy with.  Actually, I've had guarantees, but never been unhappy with any room.  As long as I'm on a ship, I'm happy.  

Hubs will not travel without some sort of natural light, so sometimes that means a window and on some ships that don't have windows, it means balconies.

To me, the extra space from a balcony to a mini isn't worth it.  But I do like having a tub.  Is 25-50 extra square feet and a tub worth and extra $600 to you?  There's your answer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiggipaws said:

Good morning

Thinking of booking a cruise on the Sky Princess saling on the 2nd December 2023 to the Caribbean, Is it worth upgrading to a mini suite deck 10 midships from a Balcony cabin (BB) ON deck 11 mid aft. The differnce in price is £480 which I believe is $579.63. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Regular balcony cabins only have 1 chair at the desk and no where else in the cabin to sit.  A deluxe balcony cabin will get you a few extra feet and a love seat and a mini will get you a sofa and a tub plus 2 tvs and a divider curtain in the cabin for couples who may have an early or late bird .  Other than that and location, not much other difference except cost.

Edited by iamaqt2

We now only sail Princess in mini suites or occasionally in deluxe balconies on Royal Class.  I love the separate living room area with the full size sofa, coffee table, tub chair and the extra tv. On Royal class ships the cabins have a heavy curtain that you can close between the sleeping area and living room area.  The bathroom is substantially larger with a tub.  Deluxe balconies provide only a small love seat and regular balconies have only one chair to sit on.  Teeny little bathroom.

On the other hand, we’ve sailed in many interior cabins on many different ships and had a wonderful time.  Now that we’re seniors, we appreciate the extra space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

Regular balcony cabins only have 1 chair at the desk and no where else in the cabin to sit.  A deluxe balcony cabin will get you a few extra feet and a love seat and a mini will get you a sofa and a tub plus 2 tvs and a divider curtain in the cabin for couples who may have an early or late bird .  Other than that and location, not much other difference except cost.

Each category has it perks....lately we really enjoy the Mini suites.   Depends on how long the cruise is and what the difference in price is between the cabins.  They're all fun and what you make of it!
(BTW, if you book the upgraded balcony on the stern of the older ships like the Crown, there is no couch/loveseat in the cabin.)

Edited by suzyed
additional info
  • Like 2

To me $580 for the upgrade would not be worth it.   But it really comes to personal preference.   While we don't go on cruises to hang around in the cabin, maybe I would upgrade for $20 extra per day.  Otherwise it just isn't going to be important to have a sitting area.  

Edited by ldubs

33 minutes ago, NotCaptainSandy said:

Hi! Has anyone ever stayed in a mini cabin where the sofa bed blocks the balcony door when opened? Is it a big deal?

We were in a Mini on the Sky just last week. I can't imagine any circumstance where the sofa would block the door. While the door is full width, the sofa is "against" the fixed half of the door, so opening the sliding half of the door is not affected by the sofa.

8 hours ago, Tiggipaws said:

Good morning

Thank you

We were in a Caribe deck mid-ship mini just last week on the Sky. We LOVE minis for their many advantages and for us are well worth it. We're back on the Sky in Feb in another mini.  For us, the better bathroom with full tub, full sofa (not just a loveseat), two TVs with large privacy curtain between the two halves allowing two people to watch different TVs at the same time, etc, all make the Minisuite our sweet spot in Princess cabins.  We, too, don't hang around the cabin much, but when we do, the extra space and amenities are great.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NotCaptainSandy said:

Hi! Has anyone ever stayed in a mini cabin where the sofa bed blocks the balcony door when opened? Is it a big deal?

if you have a third person in the cabin and the hide a bed  that’s stowed in the sofa is pulled open for them to sleep on the pullout bed can partially block the path to the sliding door.   This isn’t a big deal at all.  If there are three or four of you in the cabin the bed will be stowed each morning and made up again in the evening.

We have never found it to be an issue at all. 

Edited by Shelly97060

Personal choice.  Do you spend lots of time in your cabin or only there to sleep?  Have had a suite and an inside cabin.  Was happy in both.  Had a mini suite with a 3rd person.  Since it was a love seat except at night never an issue for veranda access.

We always determine the cabin category by the perks attached to the category and if the extra $$ worth it to us.  The answer is usually no.  On an upcoming cruise scored a mini suite with a group fare at less than a regular veranda.

Hi!  It sounds like you might not be familiar with the cabins on Princess.

The standard balcony cabins (BA,BB,...) and the standard size balconies on this class of ship are pretty small.  In, fact, the standard balconies are considered to be very small.

The difference between a standard balcony cabin and a mini would be really considerable.

You can look up cabin tours, online.

The mid-ship cabins that are mid-ship on the bump-out will have a bigger/deeper balcony than standard.

Also, 'Premium' balcony and deluxe balcony cabins will have a larger/deeper balcomy.

I am thinking that you have not found a way to book a Deluxe Balcony for the two of you.

I do think that can be done.  Does it show Guarantee only when you search for two passengers?

Do some Deluxe balconies show up if you search for three or four passengers.

For us, a deluxe balcony meets our needs and expectations.

We don't really feel that we need a suite, but the bit of extra room and seating in a deluxe balcony is great.

We like to find the ones with bigger/deeper balconies.

If you will be spending a lot of time enjoying relaxing in your cabin, room service, etc.  Then a Mini might be the best cabin for you.  

It all comes down to your expectations and preferences!

16 hours ago, Tiggipaws said:

Good morning

Thank you

Have you looked at the categories on:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Princess ? 

9 hours ago, NotCaptainSandy said:

Sandy,  I do know that the sofa can be made into a bed without pulling it out.   I have never done this, but when thinking about traveling with a third passenger, I had looked it up and found photos.

I believe they remove extra cushions, and can place a mattress from a pull-down berth on the sofa.

Also,  I am not sure.  Maybe you will get more first hand info here.   But I think if you look for a mini suite for four  (assuming you have three?)  The fourth berth, which could be used by a third person, would pull down above the sofa.  So, this would leave the sofa undisturbed.  And, would not fully block the access to the balcony.