Hotel RECOMMENDATIONS

Barb Nahoumi

On 11/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, spirit rev said:

We like the Courtyard at 54th and Broadway and have stayed there numerous times. The real address is 1717 Broadway. Easy walk to Central Park and Times Square. Very helpful Bellmen for taxis or other car service. 

Thank you for the recommendation. I won't be cruising out of New York until 2024 but I'm starting to collect information. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:42 PM, 1025cruise said:

Since we're talking about NYC, you need to define reasonably priced. Also, I wouldn't worry about location, a taxi can get you to the pier with no issue.

Agree, local taxis are usually available. 

• Like 1

We’re also coming in by Amtrak for a cruise in mid-October so will follow this.  Pre-Covid we stayed at hotels on 48th St near the pier. Had heard the area may be a little sketchy now so I’m interested in hearing about hotels too.  It’s hard to pick when you’re in another state!

We walked that area thanksgiving weekend, and it looked the same to,us as three years ago.  Homelessness and marijuana use are up min the city based on our views, but we never felt unsafe, especially in the daytime when we were on the west side.

That particular part of town is probably as safe (certainly during the day) as almost anywhere in the city.  The problem is the random, rage-driven assaults now increasingly common in virtually every part of the city.  I think Mayor Adams is onto something - bringing the obviously troubled in for treatment- voluntary or otherwise - is perhaps the best course. 

This, of course, is simply a return to the general practice in place until the 1960’s — when “de-institutionalization” became the trend - but which was not appropriately followed up with the necessary community services.

Edited by navybankerteacher

• 4 weeks later...

We’re Amtraking in for our cruise in October also and trying to choose hotels without knowing areas. Pre-Covid we stayed in hotels on the outskirts of Hell’s Kitchen which were walking distance to pier but have also heard that the area is very sketchy now. Prices for October are pretty high, too, for a quick overnight stay. We’re looking at Yotel New York and figuring we’d taxi to the pier since we know nothing of the area! (Luggage is not a problem - we both do 22” carry ones with a backpack.) I’ll be following this for some advice too!

On 1/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, cooncat_mom said:

We’re Amtraking in for our cruise in October also and trying to choose hotels without knowing areas. Pre-Covid we stayed in hotels on the outskirts of Hell’s Kitchen which were walking distance to pier but have also heard that the area is very sketchy now. Prices for October are pretty high, too, for a quick overnight stay. We’re looking at Yotel New York and figuring we’d taxi to the pier since we know nothing of the area! (Luggage is not a problem - we both do 22” carry ones with a backpack.) I’ll be following this for some advice too!

I think I've walked every block of Hell's Kitchen in the past 14 months and it is not at all sketchy.  Maybe some areas in the West "mid 30's" have more homeless folks, but nothing sketchy or that feels remotely dangerous.

With just carryons and backpacks you could even walk to the pier, if you aren't concerned about the wheels on your bags

Thank you - good to know! We usually stay at Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express on West 48th so it's a quick walk. Sounds like I should just look at them again.

Edited by cooncat_mom
I can spell - I can't type!

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 11:23 AM, cooncat_mom said:

Thank you - good to know! We usually stay at Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express on West 48th so it's a quick walk. Sounds like I should just look at them again.

We are looking at one of these two, or possibly Ink48. 

All look like we could roll our luggage to the port.   Have you walked to Terminal 88 port before?

Do you have a preference on hotel? 

Any information or advice is appreciated😊 

On 1/6/2023 at 10:23 AM, cooncat_mom said:

So it is walkable from the comfort inn to the cruise terminal? That’s where we reserved a room. I assume you can walk to Times Square also? We are flying in a couple days before. 

12 hours ago, cooncat_mom said:

It was about a mile from Times Square and about 2 blocks (5-10 minutes depending how far you walk and how cooperative your luggage is!) to Pier 88.

I have to say though, I'm not a NY'er (not for almost 50 years!)  and we haven't stayed there since pre-Covid, so I haven't seen the area in a few years. I do know they haven't moved Times Square or Pier 88/90 though!

• Like 1