Princess since restart, updates and comments

gullgeorge

On 12/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, shipfriend_max said:

@gullgeorge is it regular now that the Escargots are replaced by Oysters Rockefeller? And a permanent change? Would appreciate that. You have menus?

And: afternoon tea in the main dining room still served every day? Or just on days at sea?

2 weeks ago on the Ruby escargot was a starter on the 2nd formal night 

49 minutes ago, gullgeorge said:

Retreat pool "the largest kiddie pool at sea" had all 40 chairs taken at 7:30am with only 3 passengers present.  At 9:30am, there were 5 passengers.  There is no signage stating that this is an adult pool, only the app says it is an adult pool.

So why didn't you say something to one of the crew about the kids?

Currently on 7th Princess cruise since restart on the Crown Princess. First that is at or near full occupancy. Ship in very good shape, most thing running well. MDR food quality has gotten better, with quality of preparations getting back to more like precovid.

That said lack of staffing very noticeable in buffet area. Third serving area in back still not being used. tables very slow to get cleared. Have never been on a Princess cruise seeing plates stacked on uncleared tables. Other tables with utensil sets.

Also this cruise MDR handling of the check in process for the dining rooms is the slowest I have seen.  Majestic, Ruby and Grand have handled it much better.

24 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Currently on 7th Princess cruise since restart on the Crown Princess. First that is at or near full occupancy. Ship in very good shape, most thing running well. MDR food quality has gotten better, with quality of preparations getting back to more like precovid.

That said lack of staffing very noticeable in buffet area. Third serving area in back still not being used. tables very slow to get cleared. Have never been on a Princess cruise seeing plates stacked on uncleared tables. Other tables with utensil sets.

Also this cruise MDR handling of the check in process for the dining rooms is the slowest I have seen.  Majestic, Ruby and Grand have handled it much better.

They are slow the first few days and then it gets better.  All they have to do, is assign people the tables they want for the whole cruise. Checkin is much faster then.

Those that didn’t want the same table every night, can just checkin for a new table every night.  They brought on 65 new crew on Dec 7th.  Hope it gets better for you soon.

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

They are slow the first few days and then it gets better.  All they have to do, is assign people the tables they want for the whole cruise. Checkin is much faster then.

Those that didn’t want the same table every night, can just checkin for a new table every night.  They brought on 65 new crew on Dec 7th.  Hope it gets better for you soon.

It has worked fine for me, we had reservations and same table. that said have not seen check in lines from the stern dining room backing up the stairs and extending on deck 7 on other cruises.. Have not seen on other ships where people were in line at 5 and had their reservations canceled because they had not not checked in by 5:15. The only saving elements was basically them allowing people to bypass check un if they know their table.

On the other cruises we have been on they would have someone at the door that would check your medallion and immediately give table number. Here on crown they check the medallion for the type reservation, walk back to the podium where the person there gives the the table number. They then walk back to the door and tell the person their table number. Basically about 4 to 5 times longer to check in anyone, even those with reservations. Lots of people unable to get any reservations through the system.

much much worse than I saw on majestic, grand or ruby. on those ships the first night was slow, but then thing got quick with few lines after the first night. Here we are 5 nights in and lines still long.

This ship is at full occupancy, where as the next fullest we have been have been around 80%

Edited by ldtr

59 minutes ago, ldtr said:

It has worked fine for me, we had reservations and same table. that said have not seen check in lines from the stern dining room backing up the stairs and extending on deck 7 on other cruises.. Have not seen on other ships where people were in line at 5 and had their reservations canceled because they had not not checked in by 5:15. The only saving elements was basically them allowing people to bypass check un if they know their table.

On the other cruises we have been on they would have someone at the door that would check your medallion and immediately give table number. Here on crown they check the medallion for the type reservation, walk back to the podium where the person there gives the the table number. They then walk back to the door and tell the person their table number. Basically about 4 to 5 times longer to check in anyone, even those with reservations. Lots of people unable to get any reservations through the system.

much much worse than I saw on majestic, grand or ruby. on those ships the first night was slow, but then thing got quick with few lines after the first night. Here we are 5 nights in and lines still long.

This ship is at full occupancy, where as the next fullest we have been have been around 80%

We went through the same thing. 3 ladies at the podium and Dragon (Mgr DRO Davinci) it did get better. BUT…we were only 2100 guests.  In the beginning, our lines went out from MDR past the jewelry store.

Hope they get faster soon.  BTW, with DMW, they are supposed to cancel or give your table away after 15 mins.  We always canceled ours, if we were doing SD or buffet. I think they have to, to keep the tables moving.

Did they open MDR on 5?  Michelangelo’s?

Edited by PacnGoNow

21 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We went through the same thing. 3 ladies at the podium and Dragon (Mgr DRO Davinci) it did get better. BUT…we were only 2100 guests.  In the beginning, our lines went out from MDR past the jewelry store.

Hope they get faster soon.  BTW, with DMW, they are supposed to cancel or give your table away after 15 mins.  We always canceled ours, if we were doing SD or buffet. I think they have to, to keep the tables moving.

Did they open MDR on 5?  Michelangelo’s?

they have  been using it. Though you could not make reservations for it. They seemed to be using it for walk up over flow. Some people we know were taken there the first night, but when they showed up the second they were told that it would be an hour wait, even though it was mostly empty. Suspect staffing for it is very limited.

At the retreat pool you rarely see any deck personnel and bar personnel don't get involved in policing how should be there.  Not much of an issue now since there are very few children on board but may be more of an issue next week.

It is interesting how each ship is handling dinning differently even on the same size ship and passenger count. The Sky has no table numbers on the table. Also having more issues than on pervious cruises with shipboard account errors (most employees not using mobile device for ordering) and getting incorrect drinks and food in dinning room.  

Was notified by the supervisor or guest services that if you have to pay the full price for internet service prior to boarding (when the medallion app does not recognize your status), you do receive the different on your shipboard account but it is not refundable.  Also any refund of port taxes are not refundable.  Prior to this cruise they were both refundable.

NOTES AS WE GO

We are currently on REGAL Princess with the PCA (Porsche club of America, about 700 in the group)

This is our first cruise since THE SHUT DOWN, but about number 5 on Princess (total of 25 cruises in all)

Saturday December 10 2022

Embarkation was VERY GOOD QUICK, at 10:30

Cabin (Mini Suite) is fine (generally not a problem anyway)

The ship seems in good shape.

Food

We are VERY DISAPPOINTED about the quality of the food in the Buffet and the MDR,

In particular the ROAST BEEF in the buffet, looked, tasted good till you tried to CHEW it, you can't), it is tough as leather and inedible so far 2 times !! The Salmon from the buffet is also tough and very dry (in the MDR also) I ordered Beef Strogonoff last night...very small portion of INEDIBLE BEEF and a few noodles....very disappointing....Breakfast at the Buffet is good, Smoked Salmon, Grits ( a favorite) I don't like eggs or pancakes that are pre-made, so I avoid those, bacon is good....Coffee is excellent as are ALL THE BAKED GOODS, , Soups were good....

Staff

The staff are all VERY GOOD We have never had ANY problems ... 

Monday December 12,

I will "attempt" to upgrade this as we go............

Edited by daka

1 hour ago, daka said:

NOTES AS WE GO

We are currently on REGAL Princess with the PCA (Porsche club of America, about 700 in the group)

This is our first cruise since THE SHUT DOWN, but about number 5 on Princess (total of 25 cruises in all)

Saturday December 10 2022

Embarkation was VERY GOOD QUICK, at 10:30

Cabin (Mini Suite) is fine (generally not a problem anyway)

The ship seems in good shape.

Food

We are VERY DISAPPOINTED about the quality of the food in the Buffet and the MDR,

In particular the ROAST BEEF in the buffet, looked, tasted good till you tried to CHEW it, you can't), it is tough as leather and inedible so far 2 times !! The Salmon from the buffet is also tough and very dry (in the MDR also) I ordered Beef Strogonoff last night...very small portion of INEDIBLE BEEF and a few noodles....very disappointing....Breakfast at the Buffet is good, Smoked Salmon, Grits ( a favorite) I don't like eggs or pancakes that are pre-made, so I avoid those, bacon is good....Coffee is excellent as are ALL THE BAKED GOODS, , Soups were good....

Staff

The staff are all VERY GOOD We have never had ANY problems ... 

Monday December 12,

I will "attempt" to upgrade this as we go............

How were the line in the dining room? 

3 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

Was notified by the supervisor or guest services that if you have to pay the full price for internet service prior to boarding (when the medallion app does not recognize your status), you do receive the different on your shipboard account but it is not refundable.  Also any refund of port taxes are not refundable.  Prior to this cruise they were both refundable.

Currently on Crown. The 50% obc from my advance purchase of Internet is showing up as refundable

5 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

Also any refund of port taxes are not refundable.

I’m not sure that’s even legal. That’s like purchasing an item from a retail store where they collect sales tax, and then returning the item but they keep the sales tax and don’t include it in the refund. 

• Like 6

Have asked to talk to an officer numerous times the past two weeks about shipboard accounting and no response. Not refunding anything but military credit started in July on the Caribbean Princess.  Filed a dispute in July (Princess also changed the account after leaving the ship and made half of the military credit non-refundable) and that dispute is still pending.

Also one part of the statement shows it's refundable but the totals do not reflect that.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:27 PM, gullgeorge said:

So wrong.  I would not accept that.  I would also report it to CustomerRelations@PrincessCruises.com.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:29 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m not sure that’s even legal. That’s like purchasing an item from a retail store where they collect sales tax, and then returning the item but they keep the sales tax and don’t include it in the refund. 

In my mind, this is what really indicates the individual is dead wrong about both things. 

More about the December 10 cruise with the PCA..

Dinners continue to be TERRIBLE

Beef Wellington, hmmm, I believe that this dish is "supposed"to be a piece of beef wrapped in a puff pastry.... not here... more of the tough inedible beef in slices with vegis,  Crabcake is more like a potato and filler cake with some crab...

Veal  Scallopini Marsala, ummm nice piece of veal, but where is the sauce and mushrooms.....NO, this was slapped on some mashed potatoes ..no taste...

As I mentioned before the soups were good, well.I spoke too soon...Minestrone soup was more like a thin vegetable soup ....not terrible but not Minestrone...Black bean soup was just OK,

We found the best most consistent food offering on the ship to be the the SALAMI SANDWICHES at the International Cafe...( A sad state of affairs)

If you want a descent meal stick with the Chicken dishes  ..  Hard to screw up Chicken)

That's it....you get the message....(We still have 3 more days,,, it "could" get better BUT😏)

Edited by daka

On 12/5/2022 at 2:06 AM, shipfriend_max said:

great news regarding Oysters Rockefeller! Could you update menus? 
Tea time still every day? Or just on days at sea?

Currently on Enchanted in the Caribbean and Tea Time is only on sea days.  🙁 

On 12/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, gullgeorge said:

Above comment on dining room should say on formal night they are not allowing shorts on men.

Hmm.  So if men identify as a woman than it would OK for them to wear shorts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OK Last night's dinner was a bit better, Escargot (very good)  and Surf (very good) and Turf (ech)..

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hmm.  So if men identify as a woman than it would OK for them to wear shorts?

So OK "wise guy"  😁 (someone had to do it)