NCL alcohol changes

brad0576

20 hours ago, WIBadgerFan said:

Agreed, but having just sailed on X, their wine selection for the premium package was abysmal by comparison to NCL.  My local gas station has better wine options than Celebrity includes.  You will never see Veuve for instance.  Decoy is the best you're going to get for a red.  Oh, and no wine bottles and only one drink per card.  They do charge a bit less than NCL.?

Wait - X's premium upgraded beverage packages no longer give you a bottle of wine if you want?

On 12/5/2022 at 3:44 PM, gingersvp said:

I don't drink Crown, but travel with a friend who exclusively drinks Crown. I can tell you that Crown has been difficult to find across multiple cruise lines including Virgin and Royal. We *only* found it on the pool deck of the MSC Yacht club (and no where else on the ship). I wonder if Crown is reducing it's availability to the industry overall. And yes, we've been on all of these cruise lines within the past 12 months. He's been very cranky.

Was drinking Crown Royal Manhattans two weeks ago on RCL with no problem. Last April on the Epic it was $1 extra if I recall correctly.

1 minute ago, Deacon22 said:

It is mindboggling that they consider Casadores and Woodford or Buffalo Trace Premium.  

I think it’s more the fact that a bottle of something like Buffalo Trace is tougher to get.  I don’t know who their distributor is, but some of those brands are hard to find.

I live a couple hours from the Buffalo Trace distillery and I can’t find it.

The distributors could be raising prices on certain brands because of lack of availability.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, JamieLogical said:

I was more shocked to learn that St. Germain is a $5 upcharge plus tip!

On what planet does a shot of St. Germain cost $20?!?!?!

image.thumb.jpeg.79e5c1af6c07a7091e0d8e6539937b31.jpeg

Why do you call it  St. Germain?

Edited by fstuff1

13 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.79e5c1af6c07a7091e0d8e6539937b31.jpeg

Why do you call it  St. Germain?

St. Germain is the "name brand" Elderflower Liqueur. St. Elder is the "generic" version that NCL had onboard that is under $15. I was fine with the St. Elder for most of my cruise, but in La Cucina, they only had St Germain, so asked if I was willing to pay the upcharge. I said I was, thinking that it would only be $1.20, like Bailey's, but I was surprised to have to sign a slip for $6 at the end instead.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, beachmiker said:

Just got off the NCL Escape.... Two days into the cruise the ran out of Johnny Walker Black Label. I have this feeling that NCL might be eliminating it from the Drink Package. I hope I'm wrong.

I hope you're wrong too.  That said, it makes zero sense that Black Label was still no up charge, while Bulleit and Crown were.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, pandncruisers said:

Wow that means they were making bloody as much or little spice as people wanted.  My husband likes his very spicy and I don't so he would be telling the bar tender to pour the spice in.

My Cajun husband likes his drinks very spicy and always asks the bartender to bring him the Tabasco and Worcestershire to him when they serve the drinks.  We tend to hang out at the same bar once we find one we like and after the first day they automatically do it.

There seems to be confusion likely because the package offering has changed rapidly.  We booked a December 2023 cruise,and while reviewing the beverage package included with free at sea it showed 6 flow bottles of water would be included as a delivery to our cabin at embarkation. Just a few weeks later and this is no longer indicated to be part of this package.  The pdf of the beverage packages with water included was dated 11-15-22. The new package pdf is dated 12-9-22.  The packages have changed in less than a month.

Per the 11-15 packages Bulleit, Gentleman Jack, and Crown Royal are a premium plus offering.  The 12-9 pdf shows them back in the included unlimited free at sea package.

AF19B02A-447C-42CD-8489-FE9966E30264.jpeg

F914EA4E-A8E2-4D25-8E2A-9B5FBA376864.jpeg

C0066458-C1BA-4D9F-A382-2085AF834A08.jpeg

Edited by PNWMomma
Adding photos of the printouts

On 12/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, poppy jalopy said:

Beverage_Packages_12092022.pdf 283.76 kB · 127 downloads

Included beverage package flyer from N CL web site

The frustrating thing about this is that it was already false in September when we cruised on the Sun!  We had a full price charge for a shot of Bulleit for my husband added to our account (instead of the $1 upcharge we were expecting) and had to have it removed by the front desk.  I was thinking I'd check the site for an updated list prior to our cruise next month, but the current list is dated 12/22 so it's been wrong for at least three months.  And I do remember seeing that some bottles of water were supposed to be included with the beverage package (when I booked a cruise for 2024 last month) and I don't see anything about that now. Ugh. It does feel a bit like false advertising. I wish they would be more forthcoming with the details when they make changes.

1 hour ago, Sherrica said:

The frustrating thing about this is that it was already false in September when we cruised on the Sun!  We had a full price charge for a shot of Bulleit for my husband added to our account (instead of the $1 upcharge we were expecting) and had to have it removed by the front desk.  I was thinking I'd check the site for an updated list prior to our cruise next month, but the current list is dated 12/22 so it's been wrong for at least three months.  And I do remember seeing that some bottles of water were supposed to be included with the beverage package (when I booked a cruise for 2024 last month) and I don't see anything about that now. Ugh. It does feel a bit like false advertising. I wish they would be more forthcoming with the details when they make changes.

Yes, the package did advertise that you would receive 6 liters of flow water when we booked a few weeks ago.  Now it does not. Which is definitely disappointing if it does not get added back before we cruise next December.

At this point with all the drink package changes I will be waiting until a few weeks before we cruise to decide whether we need to do any upgrades or pre order waters. I would be fine with going to fill my reusable bottles up, but my husband is the type who say F it and buy a 6 buck bottle/carton of water for the convenience. If I know ahead of time we won’t get a delivery with the beverage package I can at least preorder some water to get a small savings.  Or if the plus beverage offerings at that time seem like we would utilize the value, maybe I would just upgrade to that and then enjoy some Starbucks myself. Definitely don’t feel like I can make that purchase with confidence at this point though.

A6B6E115-1D78-460E-9260-6D931F261422.png

23B73F96-5D11-4509-8F3A-7833CA810953.png

On 12/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, mianmike said:

That's totally what's happening.  That has been spoken to during investor earnings calls.  They want to keep the price (before fees) as low as possible.  When people price compared cruise lines NCL was not coming up near the top so they introduced the Sail Away rate.  The Sail Away rate enticed people to NCL, but most end up booking the higher rate cabins.   By shifting more and more revenue from the base fare to ancillary fees enables NCL's initial prices to appear competitive.  But that can only go so far and thus the plethora of marketing gimmicks.   

They're doing it because it works. It's the same reason hotels have introduced resort fees and airlines are upcharging for more and more. The vast majority of people go onto Google/Expedia/Kayak/etc and sort by price. And it's going to continue until we have laws that force these companies to show the actual price of a product after any and all taxes and fees are added. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, PNWMomma said:

Current beverage packages listed on ncl

4ADA24CB-1895-491F-870F-32EE37733636.png

The disclaimer at the bottom of this update says "...Premium Plus wine by the bottle is limited to one bottle at dinner per package. Wine is to be
consumed at the restaurant.".  

I believe one bottle 'per package' is the same as one bottle "per person"  because the PP+ package is per-person.  Also, no more carry-out of partial bottles? 

I was looking at the PP+ comparison sheet (dated 9/22) last month and it didn't appear there were any quantity or carry-out restrictions.  I guess more "Supply issues"?

image.png.5cf5e97d2754a574c537d730217d7822.png

On 12/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, WIBadgerFan said:

Agreed, but having just sailed on X, their wine selection for the premium package was abysmal by comparison to NCL.  My local gas station has better wine options than Celebrity includes.  You will never see Veuve for instance.  Decoy is the best you're going to get for a red.  Oh, and no wine bottles and only one drink per card.  They do charge a bit less than NCL.

Absolutely agree.  I upgraded to Premium and it was Decoy as the top Red.  Which is fine I guess but not comparable to the best package that NCL has.

Best part about the package was we didn't have to pay for tips.

1 hour ago, CWMixer said:

The disclaimer at the bottom of this update says "...Premium Plus wine by the bottle is limited to one bottle at dinner per package. Wine is to be
consumed at the restaurant.".  

I believe one bottle 'per package' is the same as one bottle "per person"  because the PP+ package is per-person.  Also, no more carry-out of partial bottles? 

I was looking at the PP+ comparison sheet (dated 9/22) last month and it didn't appear there were any quantity or carry-out restrictions.  I guess more "Supply issues"?

image.png.5cf5e97d2754a574c537d730217d7822.png

Oh wow, this is so sad. We had totally thought about getting a bottle of champagne and wine at dinner and carrying whatever might be left to our suite to drink later. But if I understand the above correctly we can still order the bottles at dinner but if we cannot finish them at dinner we just need to leave them to be thrown out. Ok wine you might be able to save for next evening at the restaurant but an opened bottle of champagne…ummmm…no. 

We do understand that change happens and NCL can change their drink plans whenever they want but the amount of changes they are currently constantly doing in regards of what is included and what is not is ridiculous. 

If NCL wants to screw us with their constant changes (which they are absolutely allowed to do) we will do our best to screw them. Not wanting a bottle of champagne or the highest possible priced included wine bottle for dinner tonight? We’ll order it anyway and drink one glass from it and leave it. Not wanting any top shelf drinks this evening? Don’t care, will order as much as we can and just leave the drinks untouched. Yes petty, I know, but two can play this game NCL 😁😁😁 Just need to make sure we won’t cause problems for our follow passengers so that we don’t order the ”high on demand difficult to get” top shelf drinks.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

A few of us that have recently cruised have been questioning the alcohol in the bottles on whether or not they are adding water to them to dilute them.  Sounds ridiculous I know.  I am not a liquor drinker and when I have a beverage or two with a 1-2 shot max in a drink I can max out on that after 3 drinks.  On a cruise ship, I can drink the same mixed drink all day one after the other and feel nothing. So, just an observation from the last two cruises I have been on since September.  And the one my sister and her husband went on in November.  AND HE IS A CROWN AND COKE DRINKER!!!  He said the same thing when he came off that cruise.  They switched to beer a day into the cruise.