Price Rises: Gratuities, Wifi, Medallion Shipping 🤑💰

Jadn13

1 hour ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I just got a call back from a Sr manager is guest services and said that if you ordered your medallion already and got your $0 confirmation they will not go back and charge you for the shipping.  He gave me his email if I am charged and said he would take care of it.  He also said he is (no pun intended) in the same boat..ordered a medallion for a sailing next year, he went to one of the top people and said hey email is reading odd...as he read it the same way I did ..will be charged unless you upgrade.  But they will grandfather in the orders done before 12/14...so I guess order fast!

1.  Thank you for your efforts.

2.  The final chapter has yet to be written.  It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.  I went back and looked at my Medallion Order confirming email and do not see a "$0 confirmation" nor do I see where one could even be listed.  Here is how that email reads (bolding is mine):

Great News James!

Your OceanMedallion order OCEAN-xxxxxxx for your upcoming Princess MedallionClass vacation has been received.

You requested to have your order shipped to your home. Your Medallion® devices and any products you ordered will be shipped 10 to 20 days before your Princess MedallionClass vacation. Please be sure to wear your Medallion® device to your port of embarkation to allow for an expedited, contactless arrival experience.

We will send a follow up email to notify you when your order is being shipped. Please note that taxes and fees are estimates and will be finalized at the time of shipment, when you will receive your transaction receipt.

Please save your order number for future reference. We hope you enjoy your fabulous MedallionClass vacation.

So it looks like the $0 confirmation would only be sent at the time of shipment, but this email says that fees are only estimates and will be finalized at the time of shipment.  So assuming that at the time of shipment I get another email that shows that I am being charged $10 (and by the way, how do they do that?  Add it to my shipboard account?) and I protest the charge, aren't they just going to go back to the email reproduced above and say that the fee was an estimate only, and the final amount is now $10?  Not sure how one wins that argument.   

• Thanks 1

Ok so I used the wrong word...NOT email ...but if you are on the app and look at the order confirmation it shows on mine a big fat $0 for everything as we got just the standard medallion with our loyalty color and the standard free lanyard and at the bottom of that lovely confirmation it show order total

subtotal                              $0

tax                                      $0

shipping and handling     $0

TOTAL                                  $0

black and white says $0 for shipping...so now i have this managers email if i am charged on my card or on my shipboard acct he promised this order confirmation will be honored......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

2.  The final chapter has yet to be written.  It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.  I went back and looked at my Medallion Order confirming email and do not see a "$0 confirmation" nor do I see where one could even be listed.  Here is how that email reads (bolding is mine):

Great News James!

Your OceanMedallion order OCEAN-xxxxxxx for your upcoming Princess MedallionClass vacation has been received.

You requested to have your order shipped to your home. Your Medallion® devices and any products you ordered will be shipped 10 to 20 days before your Princess MedallionClass vacation. Please be sure to wear your Medallion® device to your port of embarkation to allow for an expedited, contactless arrival experience.

We will send a follow up email to notify you when your order is being shipped. Please note that taxes and fees are estimates and will be finalized at the time of shipment, when you will receive your transaction receipt.

Please save your order number for future reference. We hope you enjoy your fabulous MedallionClass vacation.

So it looks like the $0 confirmation would only be sent at the time of shipment, but this email says that fees are only estimates and will be finalized at the time of shipment.  So assuming that at the time of shipment I get another email that shows that I am being charged $10 (and by the way, how do they do that?  Add it to my shipboard account?) and I protest the charge, aren't they just going to go back to the email reproduced above and say that the fee was an estimate only, and the final amount is now $10?  Not sure how one wins that argument.   

Is $10 that important? Considering what the total cost of the cruise, including travel, cruise fare, excursions, souvenirs, etc., $10 is a small fraction of the total cost. Is it worth all the apprehension being expended for a few dollars? 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Great News James!

I would assume you could ask for OBC if they do charge your account. I would think guest services would do it to avoid bad sentiments. Overall I am hoping it is $0, but that wording definitely gives wiggle room to charge...

4 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Is $10 that important? Considering what the total cost of the cruise, including travel, cruise fare, excursions, souvenirs, etc., $10 is a small fraction of the total cost. Is it worth all the apprehension being expended for a few dollars? Wouldn't all that effort be better utilized at worrying about what other people are wearing on formal nights?  😇

Edited by SantaFeFan

7 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Great News James!

When you order there is a screen (on the phone) which shows the total price of your order..Mine says $0.00. Take a screen shot of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Is $10 that important? Considering what the total cost of the cruise, including travel, cruise fare, excursions, souvenirs, etc., $10 is a small fraction of the total cost. Is it worth all the apprehension being expended for a few dollars? 

Nope.  Especially if it is $10 for all three Medallions.  Just curious as to how they want me to pay. And just trying to close the loop on how this will play out.  Information for the masses, more so than for me. 

@SantaFeFan  no the $10 is not that much but what most of us are talking about is the nickel and diming and that as a company they should honor what we booked/ordered under... I at least for now have been satisfied in that this manager says our order will be honored and then on a go forward it will then be our choice to choose how we want the medallion.  If not honored he gave me his info to get it handled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

$10 is a small fraction of the total cost. Is it worth all the apprehension being expended for a few dollars? 

Yes

This is a $10 nibble.

Then there is the $2.50/day/person crew appreciation nibble.

Then there is the 50% cost increase nibble in daily Internet single device charge.

All these (and other) nibbles can add up to a significant bite to the vacation budget.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chamima said:

When you order there is a screen (on the phone) which shows the total price of your order..Mine says $0.00. Take a screen shot of that.

Thanks.  Too late for me.  There was a problem with my booking that I needed to call to resolve.  While I was on the phone, the agent asked me if I had ordered my medallions yet.  I said that I had not, and she said that she would take care of it for me over the phone which she did, resulting in the email that I reproduced here.  So I have no record of the transaction other than the email that I saved. 

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Yes

This is a $10 nibble.

Then there is the $2.50/day/person crew appreciation nibble.

Then there is the 50% cost increase nibble in daily Internet single device charge.

All these (and other) nibbles can add up to a significant bite to the vacation budget.

The $10 is nothing but our cruise is very long and I'd prefer to  give the extra gratuity to the staff in cash.

• Like 3

time to look at other lines, i don't think these price increases will stick as the economy will likely hit a brick wall. also i am 2 cruises from the top tier 1 will be the holiday hawaii cruise 1 next year. i expect business to fall off. and more lines will match tiers

6 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Thanks.  Too late for me.  There was a problem with my booking that I needed to call to resolve.  While I was on the phone, the agent asked me if I had ordered my medallions yet.  I said that I had not, and she said that she would take care of it for me over the phone which she did, resulting in the email that I reproduced here.  So I have no record of the transaction other than the email that I saved. 

Just an idea - go into your Princess app and look at Ocean Ready. It should show  your Medallions as ordered and if you click  on that it should show you the $0 price page.

(I know it's only $10 but now it's become a challenge)

2 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I just got a call back from a Sr manager is guest services and said that if you ordered your medallion already and got your $0 confirmation they will not go back and charge you for the shipping.  He gave me his email if I am charged and said he would take care of it.  He also said he is (no pun intended) in the same boat..ordered a medallion for a sailing next year, he went to one of the top people and said hey email is reading odd...as he read it the same way I did ..will be charged unless you upgrade.  But they will grandfather in the orders done before 12/14...so I guess order fast!

I am floored that a manager actually called you back!  It's your lucky day - buy a lottery ticket!

Seriously though the language in the email yesterday implied that you'd have to pay for shipping of the Medallion if you have an older Plus plan unless you upgraded to the new one.  I hope they do end up grandfathering anyone with the older plans but as I said several posts ago I'll just pick it up at the port if they don't.

2 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

That sounds right. If already ordered for $0. I would expect that they would ship at ni charge or at worst cancel the order. I would not expect them to add a charge that the customer did not agree to at time of order. That would create all kinds of problems for the cruise line.

3 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I am floored that a manager actually called you back!  It's your lucky day - buy a lottery ticket!

Seriously though the language in the email yesterday implied that you'd have to pay for shipping of the Medallion if you have an older Plus plan unless you upgraded to the new one.  I hope they do end up grandfathering anyone with the older plans but as I said several posts ago I'll just pick it up at the port if they don't.

I know right I almost didn't answer it and was shocked..and he chatted with me a bit, he used to live in my area and then offered if he could add something to our account for my trouble I said that is not what i was after...he thanked me

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

I've got a $1 deposit for next Halloween cruise booked under 'old/current PLUS.  Ordered medallions the other day to be mailed.  I will NOT upgrade from $50 to $60 to the 'new' PLUS - will my medallions still be mailed "free" - or will I have to pay $10 per household, or have to pick up at pier

simple question, right?

Simple question-yes, but no one knows for sure even though they think they do. I’ll just wait. If it doesn’t show up, no bigger-I’ll pick it up at the dock.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I would not expect them to add a charge that the customer did not agree to at time of order. That would create all kinds of problems for the cruise line.

I would agree to this normally but I just had an issue with a grocery store where we ordered a fruit platter for $25 of the fruits my family can eat and the size we could truly finish...well they didn't have this small one so they substituted another size and charged my card the new price which was 3 times the price of what I ordered....I had to call customer service and they informed me it was my fault because I didn't say not to substitute........REALLY...I mean I would think that would be a given...I authorized $25 not $80 but they felt they were right in doing what they did...

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I would agree to this normally but I just had an issue with a grocery store where we ordered a fruit platter for $25 of the fruits my family can eat and the size we could truly finish...well they didn't have this small one so they substituted another size and charged my card the new price which was 3 times the price of what I ordered....I had to call customer service and they informed me it was my fault because I didn't say not to substitute........REALLY...I mean I would think that would be a given...I authorized $25 not $80 but they felt they were right in doing what they did...

OMG!!!!

If they don't reverse the charge you  should contact the fraud dept. of your credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chamima said:

OMG!!!!

If they don't reverse the charge you  should contact the fraud dept. of your credit card.

Oh it took me roughly 40 min but I finally got someone and they gave us the credit...especially because when we picked it up we saw it was bigger went to the deli manager of the store she corrected it and said the charge was fixed...yeah nope...the lady in cust svc who told me it was basically us and said I can tell you how to fix it for future orders...I told her she was funny cause there would be no future orders and thanked her for processing the credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

For some reason, I had a flash back to the eighties...

Susan Powter "Stop the Insanity". 1990's infomercial that played seemingly  non-stop. : r/nostalgia

I think Mr. Padgett mistakenly thinks he is still at Disney ... where there is little direct competition,

they are always over-subscribed, and love-blind customers will pay any amount for their product.

I don't think Princess is the same as Disney in any of those areas.

I wouldn't have the Medallion/accessories shipped to my home (e.g. pay for shipping) as I've found it doesn't make it. Mine didn't but Princess told me to pick it up at boarding. It wasn't there either. Day 2 they found it and gave it to me. I wouldn't preorder anything - just buy the accessories, etc. onboard.

12 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Same. 
I have heard that you need to wait in additional lines at. Check in for Medallion collection.  

It's not bad. I few minutes. I paid to have mine shipped but it never made it. 

Edited by ChutChut
spelling
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, chamima said:

Just an idea - go into your Princess app and look at Ocean Ready. It should show  your Medallions as ordered and if you click  on that it should show you the $0 price page.

(I know it's only $10 but now it's become a challenge)

Brilliant!  Found my Order History and it indeed shows "Shipping and Handling" listed as $0.00.  Of course, this still raises the issue of the "taxes and fees are an estimate" language, but at least I have something to show someone if it ever comes to that.

• Like 2