AARP e-gift card

darnoc23

3 minutes ago, darnoc23 said:

Hi, I finally got someone on the call that was taking the gift cards.  However, my digital gift cards did not come with an expiration date.  Only the gift card numbers and PIN.  The person I was on the call with stated the expiration date should've been included in the email.  I contacted AARP and they stated there's no expiration date?  Can someone confirm if the expiration date is in their gift card?  

Not an expiration date.

4 minutes ago, darnoc23 said:

Hi, I finally got someone on the call that was taking the gift cards.  However, my digital gift cards did not come with an expiration date.  Only the gift card numbers and PIN.  The person I was on the call with stated the expiration date should've been included in the email.  I contacted AARP and they stated there's no expiration date?  Can someone confirm if the expiration date is in their gift card?  

Really frustrating.  I said I would never try again. I did, now regret it. All messed up again.

Check your travel summary to see if it went through.

2 hours ago, darnoc23 said:

It is not an AARP gift card - they are just selling Princess GC's at a discount.  GC's do not have an expiry date.

AARP, confirmed no expiration date and referred me to the terms and conditions which states no expiration date.  Frustrating to keep calling Princess in hope to get a rep that knows what to do.  Princess rep kept saying she processes gift cards all the time and requires an expiration date.  I'll try again tommorow, otherwise, I hope there's no issues with processing these credits onboard.  

7 hours ago, darnoc23 said:

AARP, confirmed no expiration date and referred me to the terms and conditions which states no expiration date.  Frustrating to keep calling Princess in hope to get a rep that knows what to do.  Princess rep kept saying she processes gift cards all the time and requires an expiration date.  I'll try again tommorow, otherwise, I hope there's no issues with processing these credits onboard.  

OB is not a problem. I just printed out a copy of my GC.  There is normally an employee at Elite/suites line that knows how to enter them.

I have to call again today, try to get it straightened out.  3 agents, the last one entered it 4 times in error. Took 24 hours, now all are gone. Calling back to find my original request, to put 1 back in. What a pain.  Another hour wasted.  
Can’t believe I did this again. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Finally got a person that REALLY knew what she was doing.  Took about 10 minutes to add in the gift card to the booking.  The wait time was still long however to get someone.  I tried the call back feature also.  My experience on the call back is that it doesn't get routed to the rep, so therefore it hangs up and now you have to dial again and put yourself back on queue.  Anyways, here was the process for anyone's reference, the challenge really is getting someone that's familiar with it:

1.  Purchase the gift card at AARP.  You should get a digital gift card in less than 30 minutes via email.  The gift card has the card number and PIN.  NO EXPIRATION DATE is needed.

2.  Call 1-800-774-6237 choose 2, then 1.  For me it was an existing booking to add the gift card as onboard credits.

3.  Cross your fingers you get a rep that's familiar with the process.  Tell them you would like to use a gift card for this booking for onboard credit.  They'll take your card info and email you a confirmation of the onboard credit purchase. 

• Like 1

An alternative to calling Princess to apply your gift card as OBC is to do it once you are on the ship.  

Go to Passenger Services and show the print out ( or pull it up on your device) and ask them to apply it to your account. Every time I have done this it has only taken a few minutes,  very easy!  

4 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Does anybody know, can you buy Future Cruise Deposits onboard and use Princess gift cards to pay for them, rather than having them charged to the CC on file?

I know that instead of charging the FCCs to the CC on file, they can be charged to any other credit card number you provide.

What I do not know is whether that other number can be a gift card.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Does anybody know, can you buy Future Cruise Deposits onboard and use Princess gift cards to pay for them, rather than having them charged to the CC on file?

I don’t see why you couldn’t.  We’ve used them up at the guest services desk in the past.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, julie3fan said:

If it can be done, I would think you need to deal with the Future Cruise Consultant directly.  Ordering online using the App will only accept a credit card and not a gift card and PIN combination.  The paper form you can fill out and leave at the FCC desk doesn't allow for GC entry.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If it can be done, I would think you need to deal with the Future Cruise Consultant directly.  Ordering online using the App will only accept a credit card and not a gift card and PIN combination.  The paper form you can fill out and leave at the FCC desk doesn't allow for GC entry.  

I fully expect to handle this transaction in person.  I'm hoping for confirmation it can be done before buying the gift cards.

1 minute ago, julie3fan said:

I fully expect to handle this transaction in person.  I'm hoping for confirmation it can be done before buying the gift cards.

I have never read of anyone doing this. 

You could visit and ask the FCC person on Day 1 if you can use GC's to purchase FCD's.  If answer is yes, go online and order.  You get email back with GC numbers and PIN's right away after purchase processed.  Bring the info to the FCC office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t see why you couldn’t.  We’ve used them up at the guest services desk in the past.  

Guest services deals with on board accounts/folios, and FCCs get charged outside the folios.  I don't want to assume the cruise consultant's payment system is set up to allow gift cards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I have never read of anyone doing this. 

You could visit and ask the FCC person on Day 1 if you can use GC's to purchase FCD's.  If answer is yes, go online and order.  You get email back with GC numbers and PIN's right away after purchase processed.  Bring the info to the FCC office.

That's not a bad idea, but I hate to spend my first bit of time on board dealing with business type things and hoping the internet cooperates, rather than exploring a new to me ship.  I guess I could just buy the gift cards and if I can't use them to buy the FCCs, I can sock them away towards my next cruise.  Thanks for your input!

11 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

That's not a bad idea, but I hate to spend my first bit of time on board dealing with business type things and hoping the internet cooperates, rather than exploring a new to me ship.  I guess I could just buy the gift cards and if I can't use them to buy the FCCs, I can sock them away towards my next cruise.  Thanks for your input!

You could check the current roll call now for the ship that you’ll eventually be on and see if someone would ask the FCD desk that question.  Many are going to visit the desk anyway, to buy FCD’s or future cruises.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

They are also refundable.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t see why you couldn’t.  

Here's why.  If unused, the FCC is refunded to the CC on file.  If you purchase with a Gift Card, they would have to refund the unused amount back to the Gift Card, and Princess has no way of knowing if that Gift Card will still be viable at the time of the refund.  (Isn't it 2 years)?  If the purchaser uses the remaining balance of the Gift Card in between purchasing the FCC and the time of the refund, there is no card left to credit the refund to.  Yes, there are workarounds to this problem (like issuing a check) but I doubt that Princess is interested in working through that maze.  

On 12/7/2022 at 7:51 PM, Chad_O said:

I believe the AARP price is $450.00. I am going to find out tomorrow when I try to order one! 😁

FYI - the exact same deal ($500 GC for $450) is available on Target.com.  I've already bought and applied a couple from there as well as AARP.  Both sources deliver "legit" gift cards by PCL.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Here's why.  If unused, the FCC is refunded to the CC on file.  If you purchase with a Gift Card, they would have to refund the unused amount back to the Gift Card, and Princess has no way of knowing if that Gift Card will still be viable at the time of the refund.  (Isn't it 2 years)?  If the purchaser uses the remaining balance of the Gift Card in between purchasing the FCC and the time of the refund, there is no card left to credit the refund to.  Yes, there are workarounds to this problem (like issuing a check) but I doubt that Princess is interested in working through that maze.  

That is perfectly logical!  I *plan* to book a B2B TA right after the 1st of the year, but who knows what happens before I actually get onboard.  I think I'll just pay for my FCCs in the traditional manner!

53 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

FYI - the exact same deal ($500 GC for $450) is available on Target.com.  I've already bought and applied a couple from there as well as AARP.  Both sources deliver "legit" gift cards by PCL.

Where do you see the discounted cards on target.com?  I just looked and they seem to be regular price

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Ooooh nice! Can get even more every month! Thank you so much!

• Haha 1

Question regarding gift cards:

We are sailing from Sydney to Auckland next month. If I purchase a US $100 AARP gift card, will they give me the exchange rate to AU dollars?  They are AU$ onboard.  All our other credits (promotions, stock purchase credit) transferred over straight to AU dollars, not using the exchange rate. 

Thanks.