Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

My biggest concern is what will happen with Sofa-beds for 3rd and 4th guests. These take up quite a bit of room, especially on Quantum and newer Oasis class, and make it difficult to manoeuvre around the cabin. Would these cabins still receive a morning and evening service? 

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

My biggest concern is what will happen with Sofa-beds for 3rd and 4th guests. These take up quite a bit of room, especially on Quantum and newer Oasis class, and make it difficult to manoeuvre around the cabin. Would these cabins still receive a morning and evening service? 

No

On 12/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, ballarinamom said:

Im curious as to why not Carnival? We've cruised on various lines for years. Or last cruise was Carnival. and it seems they have more/better free food options. more extended food options. Their app is amazing and MTD is actually that- you click on the app and they notify you when your table is ready. They have plenty of space in the dinning rooms for separate tables for two. he food was quality and variety in the MDR was very good but the price was good enough that he could pay for premium dining and still have money left over from the price of what we are paying for our next Royal cruise. And the clientele is beginning to look the same on both lines. So im just curios as to why so adamite about no Carnival? No trying to be rude, truly curious for your feedback. 

It was the only cruise we did with them, a new england cruise. Left a bad impression. Bad service onboard based on many instances from table seating to cabin issues to bad dining service...among others. However, that was many years ago - we might change our minds. Just after that one cruise, we said "never again Carnival" but maybe we'll give them another chance, who knows.....

On 12/28/2022 at 6:34 PM, nelblu said:

I wonder if I can get ice from guest services or maybe install an ice machine on every deck, just like hotels.

I would prefer not to be wandering the corridors looking for an ice machine that other passengers have access to. 

Dipping a well-handled bucket, cup, glass or other container into a pile of ice is no different than having a bartender drop a few cubes in your glass with his or her hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

I would prefer not to be wandering the corridors looking for an ice machine that other passengers have access to. 

Dipping a well-handled bucket, cup, glass or other container into a pile of ice is no different than having a bartender drop a few cubes in your glass with his or her hands.

I totally agree.  But, they do have ice machines in hotels that dump ice into the bucket, no hands on at all.  

Having said that, I really would rather get the service that I pay for, I'd like for the cabin steward to empty and refill the ice bucket at least twice a day.  Especially with those "coolers" that are in the cabins and don't really get things COLD.  Cool?  Maybe!  We like our soft drinks, beer and such ice cold and those "coolers" just don't cut the mustard, not the ones we've had recently.  I like to put a couple of beers into the ice bucket to get them really cold.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Maybe!  We like our soft drinks, beer and such ice cold and those "coolers" just don't cut the mustard, not the ones we've had recently.  I like to put a couple of beers into the ice bucket to get them really cold.  

+1

31 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Am I wrong or were the fridges actually mini-refrigerators not too long ago.  These "coolers" seem to have made a quick appearance in cabins.  

Newer ships have something closer to fridges in that they cool to a lower temperature, but very unlikely any ship had wholesale changes to the coolers - the older ships all had/have the "coolers".

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, Trailcon said:

I would like to know how many of the cabins each room steward has is more than two people?😂

I'm sure this varies from cruise to cruise. 

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Am I wrong or were the fridges actually mini-refrigerators not too long ago.  These "coolers" seem to have made a quick appearance in cabins.  

No, cruise ships have used "coolers" since ... well, forever.

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm sure this varies from cruise to cruise. 

No, cruise ships have used "coolers" since ... well, forever.

Well, I won't argue or debate that with you as my memory is like a sieve these days.  But, that's not how I remember my mid-20teens first RCCL cruise on Oasis of the Seas.  But, like I said, my memory isn't too good.  

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I won't argue or debate that with you as my memory is like a sieve these days.  But, that's not how I remember my mid-20teens first RCCL cruise on Oasis of the Seas.  But, like I said, my memory isn't too good.  

Oh, the coolers were around before Oasis of the Seas was even a concept.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Oh, the coolers were around before Oasis of the Seas was even a concept.

Agree Coolers were put in new ship builds starting in the 90's with Voyager and were FULL of Candy, Chips, Water and Soda Pop all to purchase. Just cool enough keep things fresh and Candy from melting

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree Coolers were put in new ship builds starting in the 90's with Voyager and were FULL of Candy, Chips, Water and Soda Pop all to purchase. Just cool enough keep things fresh and Candy from melting

Back in the good old days when we got charged for stuff in there that we never used.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

It depends on the ship.  Most of the newer ships I've been on, the "cooler" gets plenty cold, like a regular fridge.

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Back in the good old days when we got charged for stuff in there that we never used.

I recently took a Celebrity cruise, and they still have stuff in the fridges (waters, sodas, beer/liquor).  I left a note asking to have it removed, and the attendant did with no problem.  No surprise charges after the cruise, either!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Longford said:

It would be the rare instance the hot water coming from a hotel room water faucet will be hot enough to sanitize glassware.

Where did I say I was "sanitizing" anything with the hot water?  I said I don't use the glassware without washing it out.  But, I did say use soap or shampoo, you know, like you would at home.   And, rinsing with hot water is better than what a lot of hotels do.

Also, just one of several articles I found about how hotel rooms are cleaned or not, including glassware.  It might make you think twice.

https://www.newsweek.com/hotel-worker-clean-room-never-touch-glasses-bedspreads-tiktok-1732000

10 minutes ago, BND said:

Where did I say I was "sanitizing" anything with the hot water?  I said I don't use the glassware without washing it out.  But, I did say use soap or shampoo, you know, like you would at home.   And, rinsing with hot water is better than what a lot of hotels do.

Also, just one of several articles I found about how hotel rooms are cleaned or not, including glassware.  It might make you think twice.

https://www.newsweek.com/hotel-worker-clean-room-never-toruch-glasses-bedspreads-tiktok-1732000

Maybe rinse with hand sanitizer. Or just take a swig of hand sanitizer before enjoying your drink in a dirty glass. 😜 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, packedandready said:

What about ice? We will usually go back to our cabin after lunch for a while and like to have a soda or cold water and again after we get back to our cabin at night. Steward would give us ice morning and evening. Since no ice machines, where would we get ice

Windjammer or any bar.