Daily Service Charges are now officially out of hand

bjlaac

On 12/9/2022 at 9:22 PM, Ocean Boy said:

And how does it really make sense to tip on a percentage of a bill? Does a server work more bringing me a $30 steak than he/she does bringing me a $10 hamburger?

The point being, someone said they will tip 20@ of the cruise price- the discounted price. The reminder is that you do not tip in a restaurant on the bill AFTER discount. So if they are going to tip 20% of heir cruise rate, make sure its not the discount and where kids cruise free.

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Math is not complicated.  And you know what is even less complicated.... I agree to pay RCI a certain amount of money to sail on their ship and they compensate their employees. That is really simple. Then you don't even have to know how to do math.

Just consider the $16 pd as part of the total fare.  No calculations required and pretty simple.

First of all, I don't know why Royal allows Paxs to opt out.  Also, for those that opt out and say that they will tip accordingly based on service, this may be a simple excuse for not tipping at all.

Maybe they should call it a service charge.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, bjlaac said:

We have several cruises booked, mostly with RCL, but do have one with NCL.  Just got a letter they are "nominally" raising the daily service charge from $16.00 to $20.00 for those below their version of suites and $25 for everyone above.  This is a 25% increase, which is hardly nominal, and comes on top of the April 2022 increase to $16.00.

Now I'm all for tipping the crew and don't believe the removal of these charges are warranted unless there's a real good reason, but this is rediculous!  How long before RCL follows suit?

Is it going to cause you to stop cruising?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Just consider the $16 pd as part of the total fare.  No calculations required and pretty simple.

First of all, I don't know why Royal allows Paxs to opt out.  Also, for those that opt out and say that they will tip accordingly based on service, this may be a simple excuse for not tipping at all.

Yup, this is like the never ending story. Call it a tip, a service charge, include it in the fare...... 

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

If they aren’t going to allow opt outs, why bother billing it explicitly at all? Just push the price up by $16 per person per day and remove any expectation of tipping at all.

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m trying to understand your suggestion above.

First off Star Class gratuities are “included”.😉  In reality they are rolled into your cabin cost, as we know they aren’t free.  Trying to add that will not go over well. 

Under your proposed suggestion of 20% gratuities a Star Class cabin at $15K for a week would then be charged an additional $3k in tips just for their stewards, MDR room staff, and behind the scenes staff as per normal breakout of tips. Then add tax to that cruise cost increase.  As a regular Star Class guest you also know that is a cabin deal at todays prices. Some regular suites are almost that price. Do you think these services will have improved with that 20% addition?

This doesn’t include the Genie tip, specialty dining staff, bartenders along the way etc… that one wishes to tip over and above. How much would you propose the Genie gets in cash if the regular staff get $3k? 

At these rates we are beyond mass market cruise lines and closer to the Ritz Carlton yachts, or a private yacht over a cabin on deck 17. 

You're reading into my suggestion way too much. I'm a Star Class customer (generally).  I know about the costs involved.  Hand to hand tipping isn't involved in my suggestion.  If you tip the Genie, that's not part of my suggestion and completely up to you (optional).  AND I never suggested a % of gratuity to the fare cost.  I gave examples and what I don't mind paying.  Yes, in Star Class the gratuity is part of the fare cost.  But, so is the cost of the Specialty Restaurants, the deluxe beverage package, and soooooo much more, all being truly unlimited, BTW.  FOR ME:  If they take away the amount of the included gratuity and charge me a fair %, I wouldn't have a problem with that.  I'm not suggesting that we pay a % of the fare plus the included gratuity.  And my suggestion of 20%, which I'm only saying I'm willing to pay, that I'm making is only a guess of what is fair and equitable, I really have no idea what that would be.    If you look and read the totality of all my posts on this subject, you'd note that my comments are mainly geared towards the categories not in suite class.  I'm more concerned about the lower end categories (Interior Cabins, for example) who are right now paying a much higher % of gratuities than what the upper categories in Ocean View Balconies are paying and the crew keeping up with the cost of living, in almost real time.  Believe me, those of us that can afford to or, like me, actually save up for a couple of years to cruise in suites (Star Class for me), I'm not at all concerned about.  If you (you - not meaning YOU or anyone in particular) can't afford what goes along with a Star Class cruise, don't cruise Star Class.  

It's simple and already stated in a couple different ways, I think.  Instead of a flat gratuity rate, I BELIEVE that a percentage based upon fare cost is much more equitable for all involved.  That percentage would have to be made by the cruise line, obviously, and be fair for ALL involved.  And it is a replacement of the current system, not in addition to it. 

Some say that the cruise line should just pay the crew more and eliminate the flat rate and eliminate tipping all together (watch the fare go up if that happens).  I believe that that would be fine for the behind the scenes crew that I don't see and have face to face interaction with.  But, the person that is responsible cleaning my cabin, delivering my food and drink, I'd much prefer to pay them a tip equal to the service they provide, that I feel they deserve, and/or based upon the cost of the product.  Some service businesses have their servers pool their tips and distribute them equally amongst the wait staff and kitchen staff (dishwashers, busboys/girls, etc.).  

Once again, JMHO

EDITED IN:  BTW, there would be no math involved, by you, the customer, in the percentage system.  Royal would automatically figure the % at the time of purchase based upon the final fare cost and include the into your final cost.  You don't have to do a thing unless you want to check/verify their math.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

EDITED IN:  BTW, there would be no math involved, by you, the customer, in the percentage system.  Royal would automatically figure the % at the time of purchase based upon the final fare cost and include the into your final cost.  

And we all know how good RCI is at doing math.😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just like their “sales”.  We know how that works 🤦‍♂️😂

And unique, too.  You've got to get them when the become available because you won't see them again :classic_rolleyes:, right.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 5:48 AM, bjlaac said:

We have several cruises booked, mostly with RCL, but do have one with NCL.  Just got a letter they are "nominally" raising the daily service charge from $16.00 to $20.00 for those below their version of suites and $25 for everyone above.  This is a 25% increase, which is hardly nominal, and comes on top of the April 2022 increase to $16.00.

Now I'm all for tipping the crew and don't believe the removal of these charges are warranted unless there's a real good reason, but this is rediculous!  How long before RCL follows suit?

As long as it's merely a suggestion and can be adjusted at the guest services that will be okay with me. Also received an email today from RCL stating D+ are no longer allowed in the concierge lounge. Cruising is becoming more expensive then other forms of vacationing lately.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 7:17 AM, Longford said:

I'm not so certain the families of active duty military who depend on food stamps think they're being treated so well.

Do you mean those that drive their new SUVs to the food banks while wearing their apple watch and carrying an iPhone?  Yeah, anyone over E-3 on food stamps isn't managing their money well.  Because they're "entitled" to it.

(Speaking from experience.)

E-4 pay = $2393/mo Plus BAH of $2142 (in a low cost area; higher elsewhere).

And E1 makes $17,736/yr -- that's someone fresh out of high school with zero skills.  Where are you getting the $1400/mo from?  That's either old info or BS.

Edited by Incognito1
  • Haha 2

The Philippines, for one.  Don't know about others, but 100% certain cruise ship employees from the PI are paying income tax.  (I did not say US income tax -- but I'm sure most countries have their own versions.)

Edited by Incognito1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

What country are you referring to in terms of income tax? Most cruise ship employees don't pay US income tax.

True because "most" cruise ship employees aren't U.S citizens or reside in the U.S.

Edited IN: To be clear: I'm talking about Social Security and Medicare.  Income tax is for American owned companies doing business aboad.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

The Philippines, for one.  Don't know about others, but 100% certain cruise ship employees from the PI are paying income tax.  (I did not say US income tax -- but I'm sure most countries have their own versions.)

Are gratuities taxed differently than other income in the philippines?

1 hour ago, Incognito1 said:

Do you mean those that drive their new SUVs to the food banks while wearing their apple watch and carrying an iPhone?  Yeah, anyone over E-3 on food stamps isn't managing their money well.  Because they're "entitled" to it.

(Speaking from experience.)

E-4 pay = $2393/mo Plus BAH of $2142 (in a low cost area; higher elsewhere).

And E1 makes $17,736/yr -- that's someone fresh out of high school with zero skills.  Where are you getting the $1400/mo from?  That's either old info or BS.

So, you dispute what the branches of the military report about member families receiving food stamps.  Our soldiers are liars, grifters?  I'll trust "official" sources, and not anonymous postings to social media.  

On 12/11/2022 at 9:34 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So back to the OP, at what amount of daily grats do people feel would make them think about other cruise lines or stop cruising? 

Etc.....

That is actually a good and difficult to answer question.   If grats increased by $10/pp/day for a 10 day cruise,  all things being equal, we probably would not  stop cruising.  The only real answer I would be comfortable giving is it is the total cost of the cruise that matters.  If/when the total cost exceeds what we feel is worth it, then we will move on.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longford said:

So, you dispute what the branches of the military report about member families receiving food stamps.  Our soldiers are liars, grifters?  I'll trust "official" sources, and not anonymous postings to social media.  

Official sources:

Basic Pay: 2022 Basic Pay Table - 1 Drill Pay.pdf (defense.gov)

BAH: Basic Housing Allowance | BAH Rate Lookup | Defense Travel Management Office (dod.mil)

Again, if a military member E-4 or above is using foodstamps, they're not managing their money well.

Edited by Incognito1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, Ret MP said:

Agreed.  But, the present system, as far as I know, does the same and going to a % system wouldn't change that just make it more equitable for the guests and give cost of living raises, almost in real time to the crew.  On the other hand, where countries don't allow tipping or it is not customary, everyone makes the same no matter how good or how bad the service they provide.  Where tipping is allowed or customary, if I don't think I received a level of service that I think it should be, I leave less or none.  That's a wake-up call to the person providing the service and incentive to do better or be a little more consistent. 

I understand your thinking here, and being from America, I'm used to that approach.  But is it more equitable?    I could see an argument that, based on the degree of effort needed,  headcount might be a better basis than fares paid.  Additionally, and maybe even more important, it is likely going to be a lot less complicated for cruise passengers to apply the daily suggested gratuity.   

There are a lot of jobs where superior performance is recognized by other than customer gratuities.  Of course, in our culture, that isn't applicable to a lot of service jobs.  The most obvious being restaurant workers. And, I'm pretty sure the high performers in our restaurants would be against replacing our current tipping system.  I wonder what the cruise ship staff would prefer.  

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, bonsai3s said:

For tips, I usually received a quarter...sometimes 50 cents...when a customer gives me a dollar, I was forever grateful.

Oh man, that brings back memories of the paper route.  The monthly subscription was a couple bucks.  Anyone who gave a buck tip had their paper porched every day from then on.   Haha.  

• Like 2