What are the best dishes at Le Bistro?

pookel

We have a reservation at Le Bistro to use our free specialty dining credit from Free at Sea. First-time cruisers and I've just been reading menus online. I love lobster, but is the $25 upcharge for the lobster thermidor really worth it? How does it compare to other options?

Also, any particular dessert/appetizer recommendations?

For context, we're adventurous eaters and are willing to try just about anything, but I'm curious as to others' opinions on dishes.

I confess to being a Dover Sole snob and that particular entree at Le Bistro was the best I've had in DECADES.  Just fabulous.  

I also loved the endive salad, without the walnuts or pecans.  Endive with the Roquefort dressing makes a perfect meal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IrishKathy said:

I confess to being a Dover Sole snob and that particular entree at Le Bistro was the best I've had in DECADES.  Just fabulous.  

I also loved the endive salad, without the walnuts or pecans.  Endive with the Roquefort dressing makes a perfect meal.

thank you for that information, I've never had Dover Sole and I've been seriously considering trying it.  One question:  does it have the head still attached?  Can't stand that.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

thank you for that information, I've never had Dover Sole and I've been seriously considering trying it.  One question:  does it have the head still attached?  Can't stand that.

Absolutely not.   It will be filleted by the waiter at tableside - no head.  They remove the bones and skin and serve it.  Makes me hungary just thinking about it.  My husband agreed that that particular night I won the best meal prize.  We both agreed that if we had it to do over again, we would have gone to Le Bistro more than once and gotten the sole again.

Just now, IrishKathy said:

Absolutely not.   It will be filleted by the waiter at tableside - no head.  They remove the bones and skin and serve it.  Makes me hungary just thinking about it.  My husband agreed that that particular night I won the best meal prize.  We both agreed that if we had it to do over again, we would have gone to Le Bistro more than once and gotten the sole again.

We've reserved Le Bistro for two dinners on our next cruise.  I had decided on the Lobster Thermador for one dinner and was considering the Dover Sole for the second.  You've convinced me to try it.  

What side do you recommend?

I've had bariatric surgery and I can't eat a large amount.

Have been to Le Bistro at least 4-5 times on different ships...We have enjoyed some very good and tasty dinners for the most part...Last time we ate there (2 weeks ago) I ordered the duck, I have ordered it before, I do enjoy me some good duck...Not sure what they brought me, it was terrible, I sent it back asking them to taste it...Maitre'D came over and said that they tasted it and it was "not right"...I knew that when they put it down in front of me...Don't order the duck...Dover Sole was great (my wife had it)The lamb chops are always good to...Just an FYI...Love NCL, enjoy cruising...

• Like 1

I always do at least 2 nights at Le Bistro.  I've been known to cancel my traditional last night at Cagney's to go back another time.  Hands down, regardless of ship, it's the best service of any restaurant.

I'm not super adventurous.  I love the Steak Tartare and Onion Soup.  The crab and smoked salmon is also excellent.  For the entree, I usually get the filet, sometimes the duck (I prefer the way they used to prepare the duck.)  You won't go wrong with any of the desserts but I usually go with the cheese plate unless I'm feeling like something sweet.

Was on the escape last week, escargot was incredible. I don’t remember the exact name of the dessert but it was something with chocolate & raspberry in the name & it was to die for if you are a chocolate fan. Best dessert for me on vacation! 

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

You won't go wrong with any of the desserts

Do you remember the profiteroles or the pineapple, strawberry, and melon chocolate fondue they offered back in the old days? ( About five or six years ago!!) They made LeBistro worth the trip, as the saying goes.

They also used to offer a 32 ounce sirloin. Used to split it with my DW. Finest steak we have ever eaten.

18 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Do you remember the profiteroles or the pineapple, strawberry, and melon chocolate fondue they offered back in the old days? ( About five or six years ago!!) They made LeBistro worth the trip, as the saying goes.

Back in 2019, I took my niece and her GF to the Greek Isles for her college graduation present.  They had the fondue as recently as then.  IIRC, it was for two and, as a solo, I never had it.  But I'm not usually a "sweet" person so I usually go with the cheese plate which I always enjoy.

I recently shared a story about that trip:  the GF had never eaten scallops but ordered them as her appetizer (I made them order stuff they never had before.)  Turns out, it wasn't her thing; live and learn.  The waitstaff noticed and several people came running to see what was wrong, how they could fix it, etc.  Another time I asked if they could exclude the mushrooms from my steak.  The chef came out, explained they were a component of the sauce as well, and offered to whip an alternative sauce up for me.  And as soon as they see I'm Premium Plus, the sommelier comes out with recommendations.

That's why I love Le Bistro.  The food may not be the best I've ever had but it's quite good.  But the service is equal, if not superior, to any fine dining restaurant I've visited on land.

Edited by phillygwm

Almost everything at Bistro is excellent with one exception: I recently ordered the duck and while the presentation was beautiful, the skin was very rubbery and unappetizing and not crispy as it should have been. It was disappointing and I wouldn't order it again. For an appetizer salad, the goat cheese croquettes and beet salad is delicious.

Photos from our last dining experience at Le Bistro, on the Pearl in July.

French onion soup, escargot, the beef filet, Coq Au Vin, a Fraiser Strawberry tart, and a Chocolate Cremeux w/ side of vanilla ice cream. All yum!

Our Norwegian's Latitudes status paid for the dinner!

20220724_194649.jpg

20220724_194704.jpg

20220724_200444.jpg

received_576107347567525.jpeg

20220724_202627.jpg

received_755215355531668.jpeg

received_532176201986049.jpeg

received_608702277261387.jpeg

20220724_210444.jpg

20220724_210440.jpg

20220724_211429.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Photos from our last dining experience at Le Bistro, on the Pearl in July.

French onion soup, escargot, the beef filet, Coq Au Vin, a Fraiser Strawberry tart, and a Chocolate Cremeux w/ side of vanilla ice cream. All yum

These look amazing!! And honestly $116 is a very fair price for a meal like that, I'd pay that on land at a French restaurant in a heartbeat.