COVID Quarantine

VitaminSea53

1 hour ago, itzfitz said:

Does anyone notice a common vaccine/booster combo in all those getting Covid?  Just wondering.

No...My DH and I had he exact same vaxs and boosts; he got Covid and rebounded with Pneumonia due to Plaxlovid.  I felt nothing at all, but my test was positive.  My doctor said that some of us lucky people have the ability to encounter Covid without an issue.  Quite a few studies going on to help understand why this is, so maybe we may find out what attributes to the differences.  I bet there will be a multitude of answers because our bodies are all so different.  One study I read recently talked about inflammation like CRP and Myeloperoxidase.  

We just came off the 12/11 - 18 Celebrity Reflection E. Caribbean cruise.  This was my first time cruising since 2019, from what I saw onboard, everything was back to pre-pandemic operations.  However, on the last night of the cruise, I started to feel like I was coming down with something, and my husband felt like he was getting sick about 2 days after me, we both got covid.  We were saying that if we cruise next year, we'd like to bring our own tongs to use in the Oceanview, to take our own portions, vs. using the same tongs that everyone is grabbing.  I was under the impression that a server would hand you your portion of food in the buffet, but I assume that may have been slowing down the process at breakfast and lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, mrsbunder said:

We just came off the 12/11 - 18 Celebrity Reflection E. Caribbean cruise.  This was my first time cruising since 2019, from what I saw onboard, everything was back to pre-pandemic operations.  However, on the last night of the cruise, I started to feel like I was coming down with something, and my husband felt like he was getting sick about 2 days after me, we both got covid.  We were saying that if we cruise next year, we'd like to bring our own tongs to use in the Oceanview, to take our own portions, vs. using the same tongs that everyone is grabbing.  I was under the impression that a server would hand you your portion of food in the buffet, but I assume that may have been slowing down the process at breakfast and lunch.

If you used the tongs but didn't touch your face and then used hand sanitizer (or soap and water) before eating I think that would be sufficient.

It's much more likely that you were next to someone who had Covid and got it from air droplets than from handling the tongs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, mrsbunder said:

Honestly you'd need to bring a large serving spoon and ladle because much of the buffet food requires more than just tongs.  Also the silverware was touched by crew before you used it as well.  Conversely, you can also wash your hands immediately after handling cruise provided silverware, serving items etc.  Keep sanitizer with you at all times, there are so many touch points on the ship you could drive yourself crazy with all the precautions if you let it.  We all do us though, I get it.  For me Covid is here and I do take precautions but don't let it get the best of me.  Cest la vie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mrsbunder said:

We were saying that if we cruise next year, we'd like to bring our own tongs to use in the Oceanview, to take our own portions, vs. using the same tongs that everyone is grabbing

Please don't do that. Using the same tongs to go from from one food to another, to another, to another etc etc? And contaminating every dish as you go (because I'm going to bet your very special personal tongs won't be sanitized even before you get to the OVC). That's just a horrible idea. And as previously noted above, all you need to do is to use hand sanitizer before beginning your meal, once you have sat down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Another update on covid quarantine - Australia and New Zealand are still unyielding about back to back passengers - they must be tested, having to undergo monitored B2B testing and if positive, if an Australian itinerary, must be in isolation on board for 5 days but if there are New Zealand ports on the itinerary, the passengers must be in isolation onboard for 7 days.  Some passengers onboard the Eclipse now, who tested positive in the mandatory monitored B2B testing dragnet, were told they'd have to stay in isolation for 5 days and then just when they thought they were going to be sprung from covid jail which was just in time for Christmas as it so happened, were told nope, too bad, you have to stay in jail for an additional 2 days because those are the rules which New Zealand has made.  How extremely disappointing for these guests and frankly for the cruising community as a whole.  I would love to know if mandatory monitored B2B testing is occurring anywhere else in the world any longer - I don't think so.......?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2022 at 1:48 PM, lexmiller said:

Another update on covid quarantine - Australia and New Zealand are still unyielding about back to back passengers - they must be tested, having to undergo monitored B2B testing and if positive, if an Australian itinerary, must be in isolation on board for 5 days but if there are New Zealand ports on the itinerary, the passengers must be in isolation onboard for 7 days.  Some passengers onboard the Eclipse now, who tested positive in the mandatory monitored B2B testing dragnet, were told they'd have to stay in isolation for 5 days and then just when they thought they were going to be sprung from covid jail which was just in time for Christmas as it so happened, were told nope, too bad, you have to stay in jail for an additional 2 days because those are the rules which New Zealand has made.  How extremely disappointing for these guests and frankly for the cruising community as a whole.  I would love to know if mandatory monitored B2B testing is occurring anywhere else in the world any longer - I don't think so.......?

Ugh. We have a back to back scheduled. Strongly considering dropping the shorter first segment . No way do I want to put myself in a potential situation like this after traveling halfway across the world . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Does anyone have a crystal ball on Covid Testing requirements for European cruises in 2023?

I wish people who are currently cruising in Europe now would chime in with their experiences regarding testing to board and B2B testing (OH, and this is my edit - it's January, not much cruising going on currently in Europe! Oops!) - that would be very helpful.  I recommend that you do as I have been doing for several months now - monitor roll calls on that other social platform and ask questions.  You usually have to ask permission to monitor the roll calls on that other media platform which is fine.  The roll calls here on Cruise Critic vary a lot as far as passenger participation on said roll call.  I find the other media roll calls to be generally much much more active - I think because the other platform is simply far easier to use on your phone.  

My personal focus right now is on Australian/New Zealand/South Pacific/Hawaiian-TransPacific cruises and for me, the B2B mandatory MONITORED testing is what is paralyzing us - I am following all of the Eclipse roll calls and people are getting snared and forced into isolation even though they are asymptomatic, feeling great, etc - Australia and New Zealand are over a year behind the rest of the cruising world due to their near zero covid policies which they held dear up until recently.  This makes cruising there fraught with anxiety.  Testing to board however, is not bad as passengers are only required to do a home self-test, NOT MONITORED.  

Edited by lexmiller

We have a b2b/TA coming up at the end of April, so a little nervous about the testing; however, on our b2b last fall, my DH and I were fine; however, we got Covid, most likely on a shore excursion of 6, but 5 days of quarantine was not awful in a suite.  We have to make final payment on our TA in three weeks, so would like to know about the testing if possible for my comfort level.  It is what it is and time doesn't stand still.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:01 PM, chamima said:

@aidanht- It' s good to know the crew on the Equinox treated you well  as there seem to be big differences between ships. And glad to hear you weren't too sick.

I also wondered if you wore masks.We'll be on the Equinox (hopefully) for 35 days this winter and hope our vaccines and masks will allow us to complete our cruises. 

We will be on Equinox later this month for 19 days.  We're hoping to stay healthy.  We've had flu on a previous cruise and were quarantined for a few days.  Care was excellent!

12 hours ago, lexmiller said:

I wish people who are currently cruising in Europe now would chime in with their experiences regarding testing to board and B2B testing (OH, and this is my edit - it's January, not much cruising going on currently in Europe! Oops!) - that would be very helpful.  I recommend that you do as I have been doing for several months now - monitor roll calls on that other social platform and ask questions.  You usually have to ask permission to monitor the roll calls on that other media platform which is fine.  The roll calls here on Cruise Critic vary a lot as far as passenger participation on said roll call.  I find the other media roll calls to be generally much much more active - I think because the other platform is simply far easier to use on your phone.  

My personal focus right now is on Australian/New Zealand/South Pacific/Hawaiian-TransPacific cruises and for me, the B2B mandatory MONITORED testing is what is paralyzing us - I am following all of the Eclipse roll calls and people are getting snared and forced into isolation even though they are asymptomatic, feeling great, etc - Australia and New Zealand are over a year behind the rest of the cruising world due to their near zero covid policies which they held dear up until recently.  This makes cruising there fraught with anxiety.  Testing to board however, is not bad as passengers are only required to do a home self-test, NOT MONITORED.  

I’m feeling confused- what other media platform has roll calls? FB?  I thought roll calls were only here on cruise critic.  

On 12/26/2022 at 1:48 PM, lexmiller said:

For those that get quarantined, are they still making them move out of their cabin to a lower desk with ocean view cabins or are they finally allowing people to stay in their own cabins? 

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

I’m feeling confused- what other media platform has roll calls? FB?  I thought roll calls were only here on cruise critic.  

FB has groups and/or events that can serve as roll calls. 

• Like 1

We have 63 days in the Pacific beginning Feb 28th?
Does CELEBRITY require a negative test to board in Sydney?
According to Australia's website (quoted below), we do not need a test to enter the country.

"From 12:01am on Thursday 5 January 2023, people travelling to Australia from China, including Hong Kong and Macau will be asked to show evidence of a negative pre-departure test for COVID-19. Read more about the COVID-19 testing requirements for travellers from China, Hong Kong and Macau.

If you are arriving from other destinations, you do not need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test to meet Australia's travel requirements. Some countries, airlines and vessel operators may require a pre-departure test result at check-in before you can board your flight or ship. Check the entry requirements of the country you are travelling or transiting through, and your airline or vessel operator’s requirements"

Yes, I understand that B2B is a separate issue and we have faced it before with over 100 days of cruising since December 2021.  

2 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

We have 63 days in the Pacific beginning Feb 28th?
Does CELEBRITY require a negative test to board in Sydney?
According to Australia's website (quoted below), we do not need a test to enter the country.

"From 12:01am on Thursday 5 January 2023, people travelling to Australia from China, including Hong Kong and Macau will be asked to show evidence of a negative pre-departure test for COVID-19. Read more about the COVID-19 testing requirements for travellers from China, Hong Kong and Macau.

If you are arriving from other destinations, you do not need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test to meet Australia's travel requirements. Some countries, airlines and vessel operators may require a pre-departure test result at check-in before you can board your flight or ship. Check the entry requirements of the country you are travelling or transiting through, and your airline or vessel operator’s requirements"

Yes, I understand that B2B is a separate issue and we have faced it before with over 100 days of cruising since December 2021.  

In order to board the Eclipse in Australia or New Zealand, a negative home test must be presented.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/australia-new-zealand-travel-requirements

Sailing Testing Requirements 

Pre-Arrival/Embarkation Covid-19 Testing

All guests ages 2 and older must test negative for COVID-19 in order to board their sailing. 

Accepted test options include:

• A PCR test taken at a private laboratory within 3 days prior to boarding;
  • Any commercially available Rapid Antigen Test (RAT), including self-tests, within 1 day of boarding. Tests do not have to be supervised or proctored. (For guests  selecting this option who are traveling internationally, we strongly recommend pre-purchasing your test kit in your home country and traveling with it to Australia.)
  • Antibody tests will not be accepted.  

All guests ages 2 and older will be asked to present proof of a negative test result. Test results may be presented as a printout, screenshot or photo of the test result or the actual test.

For guests traveling internationally and selecting the RAT testing option, we strongly recommend purchasing a test kit in your home country and traveling with it in order to meet the one-day prior-to-boarding testing requirement. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

For those that get quarantined, are they still making them move out of their cabin to a lower desk with ocean view cabins or are they finally allowing people to stay in their own cabins? 

Passengers on the Eclipse currently in isolation are definitely allowed to remain in their own cabins.  Another improvement in this horrible process is that your cabin partner is allowed to remain with you if they test negative, and are allowed to leave the cabin and ship, while masking - however, the partner is tested daily and can only move around the ship if testing negative.  

Edited by lexmiller
more info
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Yes, what @RichYak said, and they are in general, much more active than the roll calls on this platform.  Lots and lots of first hand information which is very helpful if you have a particular interest - ie for me, I am glued to the Eclipse roll calls as I am extremely concerned about B2B monitored testing.  You have to request permission to join most of the roll calls, the admin has a few general automated questions, very simple.  I think that the roll calls are more active on that other media platform as it is more well known, most people already are "on" it, plus it's an easier platform to use, generally speaking, from your phone.  For specific cruise related topics as well as access to more seasoned cruisers, this platform does seem to be a great resource, overall. 

13 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Passengers on the Eclipse currently in isolation are definitely allowed to remain in their own cabins.  Another improvement in this horrible process is that your cabin partner is allowed to remain with you if they test negative, and are allowed to leave the cabin and ship, while masking - however, the partner is tested daily and can only move around the ship if testing negative.  

Thank you. So glad to hear people can stay in their own bought and paid for cabins. At least it makes a bad situation more tolerable. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:12 PM, mickeysgal said:

Last Sep I got covid on the last day of our cruise... My husband tested negative..we were given a choice... I could go to deck 3 to isolate.. or we could stay together in our cabin on deck 6. Since we planned on driving 11 hours home the next day, we decided to stay together in our deck 6 cabin. Policies are fluid as the disease changes.. but that is what we experienced. Earlier comment that cruise lines 'don't want to know", I am not sure this is valid. CDC regulations changed which is one reason we don't see figures. Also, lets face it ..it is everywhere... and if you are concerned... Stay home. 

• Like 1