Getting Restaurant Reservation when My Viking Say that Reservations are Not Available

donaldsc

7 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I noticed this a few days ago. We are sailing less that 30 days out (DV1). Reservations never opened online for us. It just said they weren’t available. I wasn’t sure if they changed policy or if it’s been this way for a while.

Well, it’s funny.  Yesterday, for Manfredis it said that I had no reservations remaining.   But for Chef’s Table it said reservations could be made on board.  Today it had the “contact us” language.  I this all this is changing rapidly.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I just read an article about the Dunning-Kruger effect and the root cause is a total unawareness of yourself.

I had to look it up

"The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person’s lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence. By contrast, this effect also causes those who excel in a given area to think the task is simple for everyone, and underestimate their relative abilities as well."

Where does that put me on the Dunning-Kruger spectrum?

DON

47 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I had to look it up

"The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person’s lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence. By contrast, this effect also causes those who excel in a given area to think the task is simple for everyone, and underestimate their relative abilities as well."

Where does that put me on the Dunning-Kruger spectrum?

DON

My favorite Dunning-Kruger meme:

E198C469-F997-4079-BA7B-040F5177FA02.thumb.jpeg.1f30fb2dac71680545206218c10160de.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/18/2022 at 4:10 PM, harbourside said:

Where they able to tell you the menus available for the Chefs Table???

I didn't even ask, since I've read that the menu changes often and usually isn't available until a few days prior.  

Posting to add my experience re: pre-cruise booking and on-ship booking.

We are currently on the Sea and dining options never opened up for us, even though we are in PV1. I finally called two weeks before sailing and was told the whole “tables for two” story. They made us two reservations and told us we would be at a table for four one night and a table for six another, but when we showed up we were given tables for two at both places. Dinner was wonderful both times, no complaints at all.

Now the hiccups … I naively did not worry about making any additional reservations because it had been so easy on our previous cruise. So on the first day I open my app and make an additional Manfredis reservation that is available, and then drifted over to the Chef’s Table and asked for a second reservation, since there was another menu we were interested in … we were told no. We already had maxed out and we were booked up. I was surprised and felt kind of chastised. Honestly I did not pay attention enough to realize this was “a thing.” They advised checking back later in the week because things might open up or people might cancel. So I did on Day 5, and was able to book CT for Christmas night at 8 which I was told was the only slot available.

The restaurant reservations are one of the biggest places we have noticed a difference since our last cruise when it comes to service. Last cruise we had a Penthouse Junior Suite (1) and whenever we asked we got the restaurant we wanted at the time we wanted. Of course that cruise cost almost 2x as much as this cruise, so there is likely a correlation there … they would just look up our room number and make it happen. This cruise they look up our room number and we make do. I definitely don’t want to take up more than our share of space, and this is a lovely experience, and we do love the Restaurant. But we can feel the change for sure.

Christmas just came early! I’ve been checking MVJ everyday to see if anything has changed. A few minutes ago there were tables for two available on 3 different days. I was able to reserve a table at Manfredi’s for our anniversary. The Chef’s Table now says reservations will be available once on board. I wonder they are responding to all the complaints and finally opening up more tables?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Dining reservations are suppose to open today at 8pm Pacific Time for our Mar 8 cruise for DV rooms.  I had heard sometimes they open early so I checked at 7am  (13 hours early) and Manfredi’s says “reservations available aboard ship”.  There was one Chef’s table available but during our favorite excursion.  

So having read this thread, I didn’t panic.  I know everyone says no problem just get a reservation when you board.  But on our cruise reservation we were given a boarding time of 2pm.  Again I assume based on cabin class.  It would seem there would be little left by that time.  Can we arrive earlier to board the ship then our assigned time?

6 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Dining reservations are suppose to open today at 8pm Pacific Time for our Mar 8 cruise for DV rooms.  I had heard sometimes they open early so I checked at 7am  (13 hours early) and Manfredi’s says “reservations available aboard ship”.  There was one Chef’s table available but during our favorite excursion.  

So having read this thread, I didn’t panic.  I know everyone says no problem just get a reservation when you board.  But on our cruise reservation we were given a boarding time of 2pm.  Again I assume based on cabin class.  It would seem there would be little left by that time.  Can we arrive earlier to board the ship then our assigned time?

Generally yes, but you may not be able to access your cabin.

28 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

The assigned time refers ONLY to when you get into your room.

Usually DV's can be assured of getting into their cabin at 2 PM  (PV's at 1 PM).

However, this is NOT the time you can check in and come aboard. 

In all our cruises, we have found that we can get onboard around 11 AM with no problem (and there are usually about 50-60 passengers already checked in).  This gives us a chance to immediately get on the Voyager App and do dining reservations, plus schedule wine tastings, cooking classes, and more (things that could only be done when onboard) - and before the masses get on.

This past trip (a couple weeks ago), we actually boarded about 10:40 AM, had our safety drill and were in the Atrium area by 11:00 AM.    This also gives you a chance to have a wonderful lunch courtesy of Viking!   (We often do the Pool Grill or the World Cafe).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The assigned time refers ONLY to when you get into your room.

Usually DV's can be assured of getting into their cabin at 2 PM  (PV's at 1 PM).

However, this is NOT the time you can check in and come aboard. 

In all our cruises, we have found that we can get onboard around 11 AM with no problem (and there are usually about 50-60 passengers already checked in).  This gives us a chance to immediately get on the Voyager App and do dining reservations, plus schedule wine tastings, cooking classes, and more (things that could only be done when onboard) - and before the masses get on.

This past trip (a couple weeks ago), we actually boarded about 10:40 AM, had our safety drill and were in the Atrium area by 11:00 AM.    This also gives you a chance to have a wonderful lunch courtesy of Viking!   (We often do the Pool Grill or the World Cafe).

Thank you!  This was very helpful.  As a first time Viking cruiser, I’d like to know more about the wine tastings.  Where would I find that on the app… On board experiences?

37 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Thank you!  This was very helpful.  As a first time Viking cruiser, I’d like to know more about the wine tastings.  Where would I find that on the app… On board experiences?

There is nothing published about the wine tastings.  There are actually other tastings too (of hard liquor and such).   They have usually had one regular wine tasting (free for SSP and a charge for non-SSP) and a premium wine tasting (fee).  These have been limited to 20 people and they serve cheese and you sit at Manfredi's tables, and are usually on a sea day at 2 PM.   You must signup when you get on board.   We have not been to the liquor tastings but saw they were often in the evening.

Again - I have seen nothing ever published on these tastings.  I learned about it from other Cruise Critic people.  You just go to the guest services desk immediately upon boarding and ask about the available tastings.  Here is a picture from one of the ones we attended.  

1740320072_WineTasting.thumb.jpg.a64cbc59b9279db4c0694c6a1aa9eb34.jpg

• Like 3

Just to let you know…..we are on the Neptune right now and have been so since 12/22.  We have eaten at Manfredi’s twice and BOTH times the restaurant was able to seat someone asking about dinner but did not have a reservation (they were ahead of us checking in).  The second time, the guy was asked to come back in about 15-20 min, but the first time the guy was seated immediately.

• Like 2

We booked times shortly after our dining bookings opened. We were successful with Manfredi’s but Chefs table was unavailable. Our TA received a confirmation but now when I check our MVJ it tells me no reservations are available for tables for 2. We are happy to share but as we are travelling on our own do not have any other booking numbers and unlike Oceania there is no option offered to share. I find this very frustrating and do not have the time to phone Viking and spend time on hold. 

2 hours ago, gaeltrav said:

We booked times shortly after our dining bookings opened. We were successful with Manfredi’s but Chefs table was unavailable. Our TA received a confirmation but now when I check our MVJ it tells me no reservations are available for tables for 2. We are happy to share but as we are travelling on our own do not have any other booking numbers and unlike Oceania there is no option offered to share. I find this very frustrating and do not have the time to phone Viking and spend time on hold. 

You may find it, especially if you're willing to share a table, surprisingly easy to walk up and get a seating at time you wish to dine.  When we first started sailing Viking Ocean we too would get wound up and worried about reservations or the trouble of getting one early. The worst outcome we have had is taking a later seating than we might have liked. Even where we have simply walked up and asked to be seated sans a reservation, we were seated within 15 minutes. Cheers. 

• Like 2

For our February West Indies Explorer, the availability of tables just opened back up when a couple of weeks ago it showed the “book on board” notation.  You might want to keep checking every so often.  Our cruise is now a month out, so maybe tables will open for yours at about that point too? 

• Like 2

Currently in Viking Jupiter. I booked max number (2, each) for Manfredi's and Chef's Table when dining res opened for our category with no problem. When we got on board I loaded the app and easily got 2 additional Chef's Table and one more Manfredi's. I will add that DH and I are always late eaters so I have no problem with 8:30 res., in fact prefer it. Ate at Manfredi's last night and was disappointed. It's more popular than Chef's Table for unclear reasons to me. Service was off, "lost" our half finished bottle of wine, steak was very tough, had to struggle to get it clear that we wanted FIRST antipasti, THEN primi, THEN secondi. (Ya know, like in Italy.) 

We are going on our first viking cruise, western mediterranean, but I'm about to cancel because we will be at a disadvantage not having experience with Viking.  Just what I'm paying a lot of money for, competing with my fellow senior citizens for restaurant reservations and tour sign-ups for 17 days.  I still have time to cancel.

• Like 1