Carnival is creating a new class category for the Costa ship transfers.

Old Fart Cruisers

According to this article, Carnival will be changing the Venezia's class from Vista-class to Venice-class.  She was a Vista-class ship while she was in Costa's fleet, but now after the transfer, she'll be a Venice-class ship.  Is it normal to make a new class name when transferring a ship?  It might make sense if she was going to be stretched or some other modifications that would affect the total size or other major changes.

"The Italian-style ship is the first ship in what will be the Venice-class category of ships and was originally built for the Chinese market," Duffy said.

Carnival Reveals Details Ahead of Venezia Debut - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

i think they are doing this to make it easier to differentiate between the regular vista class and these vista class ships. while somewhat identical, the costa vista class ships have alot of differents that make it unique

• Like 3

I believe Costa referred to them as Venice Class as well but for marketing purposes it makes them stand out from their Carnival counterparts. Their livery will also be unique as well, Costa funnel stays and a navy bow with a gold stripe, etc which I think would be enough to put them in their own separate or sub class.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

i think they are doing this to make it easier to differentiate between the regular vista class and these vista class ships. while somewhat identical, the costa vista class ships have alot of differents that make it unique

It does have some differences, but it was already a Vista-class ship when it was costa.  The modifications that Carnival will be making when she is transferred will make it closer to the other Vista-class ships, not more different than it is now under the Vista-class.  It might have made sense to call it a Venice-class when it entered service with Costa.

Brilliant marketing. Cruisers love to shrug something off because "I've done it already." No one was looking for another Vista class. I admit it too, after doing so many Carnival cruises, it gets old doing the same things over and over. But just make a few tweaks, and you have a "completely new concept." Sign me up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Brilliant marketing. Cruisers love to shrug something off because "I've done it already." No one was looking for another Vista class. I admit it too, after doing so many Carnival cruises, it gets old doing the same things over and over. But just make a few tweaks, and you have a "completely new concept." Sign me up!

Carnival has been doing that for years. Sunshine was a "new" ship.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Me, too!  

And I am the odd man out in that I love the Vista class because of the Havana area. I am super pissed Galveston is losing the Vista!  I wish they would take the Dream or the Breeze instead and let us keep the Vista.

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Me, too!  

And I am the odd man out in that I love the Vista class because of the Havana area. I am super pissed Galveston is losing the Vista!  I wish they would take the Dream or the Breeze instead and let us keep the Vista.

At least you are getting Jublee that has havana area.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I feel like this is different. Sunshine got a lot of stuff, trying to look like a new ship. Many weren't fooled. I think instead of trying to look new, introducing a completely different theme is a good way to expand this saturated business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Splendor IS the Splendor class.  😂

Splendor is technically in the Concorida Class, as it was suppose to go to Costa but was transferred to Carnival during the building process, and then became the one off Splendor Class. 

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

This is different because Venezia is still considered a new ship, came out the same year as Panorama, only sailed in China for about a year (2019-2020) and then only reentered service this past May (2022) in Turkey. Firenze even newer (2021) never made it to China and has only been in service in the Mediterranean. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Splendor is technically in the Concorida Class, as it was suppose to go to Costa but was transferred to Carnival during the building process, and then became the one off Splendor Class. 

How many people would want to book Concordia I?

4 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

This is different because Venezia is still considered a new ship, came out the same year as Panorama, only sailed in China for about a year (2019-2020) and then only reentered service this past May (2022) in Turkey. Firenze even newer (2021) never made it to China and has only been in service in the Mediterranean. 

They are both being Carnivalized, as Splendor was, sans funnel. As with Splendor, I think some areas are going to feel awkward, and different from Vista.

20 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I feel like this is different. Sunshine got a lot of stuff, trying to look like a new ship. Many weren't fooled. I think instead of trying to look new, introducing a completely different theme is a good way to expand this saturated business.

Sunshine was an experiment and over the top, but Carnival has continued the trend, albeit scaled back some.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

How many people would want to book Concordia I?

They are both being Carnivalized, as Splendor was, sans funnel. As with Splendor, I think some areas are going to feel awkward, and different from Vista.

I'm referring to pre-incident when Splendor came out, not present day. But I believe the class is still referred to that name, but if I'm wrong then Serena Class which is the next one in line. 

These feel on a smaller scale, its really just the food and drink venues, changing signage no? Decor wise I thought all remained the same from what I could tell. 

2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

I'm referring to pre-incident when Splendor came out, not present day. But I believe the class is still referred to that name, but if I'm wrong then Serena Class which is the next one in line. 

Splendor is Concordia Class, but Carnival didn't have one so they might as well make a new class.

2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

These feel on a smaller scale, its really just the food and drink venues, changing signage no? Decor wise I thought all remained the same from what I could tell. 

Venezia is/was Vista class, and I'll wait for someone else to do a deck plan comparison to see what differences, if any will exist.

Costa still has the Magica laid-up in Italy. Wouldn't be surprised if she ends up as a Carnival ship next year. Costa also has the Serena & Diadema laid-up but both are scheduled to enter service shortly. Costa currently has just 8 ships operating, one of which is the Firenze. Costa's Atlantica & Mediterranea, both transferred to Carnival China(aka Adora Cruises), have yet to sail under their new names.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Splendor is Concordia Class, but Carnival didn't have one so they might as well make a new class.

Venezia is/was Vista class, and I'll wait for someone else to do a deck plan comparison to see what differences, if any will exist.

One visual difference is that Venezia has the enclosed Lido deck with retractable roof. That’s something Carnival hasn’t done in years. I think it will be good for sailing from New York though. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

One visual difference is that Venezia has the enclosed Lido deck with retractable roof. That’s something Carnival hasn’t done in years. I think it will be good for sailing from New York though. 

Like Splendor, the retractable roof is over the mid-ship pool which makes it more comfortable for sailing from colder ports. For a few years Carnival has only built warm water ships, so Venezia will be more flexible.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Like Splendor, the retractable roof is over the mid-ship pool which makes it more comfortable for sailing from colder ports. For a few years Carnival has only built warm water ships, so Venezia will be more flexible.

I was also told that maintenance on those roofs is very expensive and that’s why they started to move away from them, including removing them from the Destiny class during their transformations. I’ve been on a few ships with them and have never seen one closed, even in the pouring down rain lol

2 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I was also told that maintenance on those roofs is very expensive and that’s why they started to move away from them, including removing them from the Destiny class during their transformations. I’ve been on a few ships with them and have never seen one closed, even in the pouring down rain lol

When closed, the area gets hot and humid. When I went on Splendor around South America, the closer to the tip we got, the more the roof was closed. The ship would also be good in Alaska, Greenland, etc.

• Like 1