Carnival is creating a new class category for the Costa ship transfers.

Old Fart Cruisers

On 12/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, shof515 said:

i think they are doing this to make it easier to differentiate between the regular vista class and these vista class ships. while somewhat identical, the costa vista class ships have alot of differents that make it unique

I have to agree     They have to differ from the vista -  like you cantuse the havana area unless you are booked but it sounds like that area will be opened on the Venezia 

50 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Like Splendor, the retractable roof is over the mid-ship pool which makes it more comfortable for sailing from colder ports. For a few years Carnival has only built warm water ships, so Venezia will be more flexible.

when that roof is closed-- its VERY loud in there 

19 minutes ago, serene56 said:

when that roof is closed-- its VERY loud in there 

Which may be one reason for the very unique decor in the main Lido area; seems way more an 'indoor/outdoor lounging' and way less a 'Caribbean sun worshiping' kind of space from the one pic I saw. 

22 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Me, too!  

And I am the odd man out in that I love the Vista class because of the Havana area. I am super pissed Galveston is losing the Vista!  I wish they would take the Dream or the Breeze instead and let us keep the Vista.

You can sail from another state lol. 

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

When closed, the area gets hot and humid. When I went on Splendor around South America, the closer to the tip we got, the more the roof was closed. The ship would also be good in Alaska, Greenland, etc.

Yes it was great to have in Alaska this past summer.

I think Firenze will probably do something similar to what Splendor did with the repositioning

Edited by CarnivalShips480

3 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I was also told that maintenance on those roofs is very expensive and that’s why they started to move away from them, including removing them from the Destiny class during their transformations. I’ve been on a few ships with them and have never seen one closed, even in the pouring down rain lol

We were on the Pride last month for the transatlantic sailing to Tampa.  It was nice when they closed the roof when the weather got cold, but one of the glass panels got shattered one day.   It was all crackled, but it is bonded with a layer of safety film, so the glass didn't fall out.  They blocked off an area below and around the shattered panel until they could inspect it, and determined it was safe to continue the roof closed.  One of the maintenance people inspecting it told me he thought it was caused from bouncing as they closed the roof.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

1 hour ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Yes it was great to have in Alaska this past summer.

I think Firenze will probably do something similar to what Splendor did with the repositioning

Not so sure.  Remember that the New Locks didn't exist back then. I don't recall Panorama having to go the long way around. 

Edited by jsglow

23 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Not so sure.  Remember that the New Locks didn't exist back then. I don't recall Panorama having to go the long way around. 

I don't recall Panorama having passengers on the ship then. Wasn't there an issue with the life boats and the locks?

Anyway, the Splendor did go through the new locks once they were open.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Panorama did go the long way around , just not with passengers. They were adamant about her being “brand new” when she got to Long Beach. It was a 41 day voyage from Italy. Vista class cannot do the new locks because of the lifeboats overhanging. If they were designed more tucked into the hull than they could. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

Panorama did go the long way around , just not with passengers. They were adamant about her being “brand new” when she got to Long Beach. It was a 41 day voyage from Italy. Vista class cannot do the new locks because of the lifeboats overhanging. If they were designed more tucked into the hull than they could. 

Thanks for the update.  There's gonna be a lot of cabins to fill in California!  Now I can envision maybe moving Miracle but there will be 2 Vista Class ships out there as I can't envision swapping the two similar ships and burning all that fuel.

I've heard sources that the Costa/Carnival Venezia and Firenze will only be in the Carnival fleet for 2 years before they are transferred back into the Costa fleet again. It makes sense though. They send two ships to the fully recovered North American market giving them modest changes for North American cruisers and gain a profit for 2 years while the European cruise market returns and then the ships will return back to Costa with more modest changes on its return. I wouldn't be too surprised if the ships are kept for a little more than 2 years, but I wouldn't imagine anything crazy long. If Carnival really wanted to keep them, they would at least paint the funnel red white and blue like the Carnival Luminosa.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

One visual difference is that Venezia has the enclosed Lido deck with retractable roof. That’s something Carnival hasn’t done in years. I think it will be good for sailing from New York though. 

I think tht might be THE primary reason why they chose New York as its homeport.  Makes a lot of sense. 

11 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I was also told that maintenance on those roofs is very expensive and that’s why they started to move away from them, including removing them from the Destiny class during their transformations. I’ve been on a few ships with them and have never seen one closed, even in the pouring down rain lol

I've been on a few Caribbean sailings where the aft roofs were closed for inclement weather -- not for yer typical brief tropical downpours, but for longer rain events.  It does get hot and humid inside if the sun is out.  The roof IS fun to watch open and close, although that process is kinda loud too.  

17 hours ago, Port of New Orleans said:

I've heard sources that the Costa/Carnival Venezia and Firenze will only be in the Carnival fleet for 2 years before they are transferred back into the Costa fleet again. It makes sense though. They send two ships to the fully recovered North American market giving them modest changes for North American cruisers and gain a profit for 2 years while the European cruise market returns and then the ships will return back to Costa with more modest changes on its return. I wouldn't be too surprised if the ships are kept for a little more than 2 years, but I wouldn't imagine anything crazy long. If Carnival really wanted to keep them, they would at least paint the funnel red white and blue like the Carnival Luminosa.

Before I say anything, what are your sources?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Port of New Orleans said:

I would like to know your sources as well as it doesn’t make sense though for that short period of time, as these ships weren’t for the main Costa fleet to begin with and they would have to change everything back. Plus Costa still has to decide what to do with Magica and Fortuna. 

With no new build on the horizon for Carnival they could very well remain in the Carnival fleet.

The funnel can easily be changed while it’s in service, they already will be adapting the Carnival name and a special navy blue hull. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Port of New Orleans said:

Ha! Can you imagine the riots if Carnival sends out a communication in 2024 that the Costa ships are going back early and everyone’s Venezia bookings will automatically be transferred to the Elation? 😂

I don't see them going back anytime soon. Costa has too much capacity as China is unlikely to fully reopen and Europe is soft thanks to Russia. If not enough people Choose Fun Italian Style, Venezia and Firenze are likely to become Carnival Reflection and Carnival Meridian.

4 minutes ago, tidecat said:

I don't see them going back anytime soon. Costa has too much capacity as China is unlikely to fully reopen and Europe is soft thanks to Russia. If not enough people Choose Fun Italian Style, Venezia and Firenze are likely to become Carnival Reflection and Carnival Meridian.

I 100% agree with you.  These essentially new (Vista Class) Costa ships will become the 'exciting new hulls' for Carnival going forward.  What, maybe they're spending $25-$50 million on each with the conversion?  What does a new Excel cost? Just short of $1B for Mardi Gras so it's over that now.

14 hours ago, tidecat said:

Well, they don't have to change names to become fully Carnival.

3 hours ago, toad455 said:

Not official, but Heald posted recently that Europe will be getting something Legend-ary for 2024.

SHOCKED I tell you! 😲  Actually the worst kept secret in a long time.  I've not been on Legend but the Spirit Class ships are fantastic for Europe.

• Like 2