Differences between QM2 and QV (atmosphere, not physical)

neeuqdrazil

14 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Could be “two words” = Red Tops

Really? I can't do cryptic. Add gold and it might be a Gala Ball colour scheme but then if the orcas are badly dressed, they wouldn't be following a suggested theme but then if they were back in the sea, they wouldn't be following any dress code.

Then again, it might be a Tolkien reference but the inference there is unkind so it wouldn't be that.

Would it?

Oh well.  😕

5 hours ago, tv24 said:

Hopefully you will get the chance to sail a WC on QV.  A few years ago, we were on a long segment on the QV that was part of their world cruise and we chatted with several PAX who were in for the full deal.  They were having a great time.

The Panama Canal transit is part of the 2024 WC, but close to the beginning. 

Someday...

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I would like to think there's no difference in service on any of the three ships.

One of the members of staff  I knew quite well  was on QE [from QV with a bump up in restaurant position] and he thought Victoria was the happy ship too.

As long as all seem happy on all the ships, there's no problem but the initial post posed a question about atmosphere and a happy crew means a happy background atmosphere which passengers can pick up on. QV is a very happy ship.

I am sure all Cunard shops are happy ships and staff like customers will obviously have their own favourites. Obviously yours is QV but that doesn't make it any happier or better in others eyes. My personal favourite is QM2 and think QV/QE are equal and neither is better or happier than the other. If you choose a cruise would be down to itinerary and price as personally cruise experience would be the same. Having said that our cruise on QE last year, late replacement for QV, food was better in PG than recently on QV but think that is down to cut backs by Cunard rather than down to the ship.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Really? I can't do cryptic. Add gold and it might be a Gala Ball colour scheme but then if the orcas are badly dressed, they wouldn't be following a suggested theme but then if they were back in the sea, they wouldn't be following any dress code.

Then again, it might be a Tolkien reference but the inference there is unkind so it wouldn't be that.

Would it?

Oh well.  😕

Oh, dear. No unkindness intended on my part. I enjoy your thoughtful and big-hearted posts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am sure all Cunard shops are happy ships and staff like customers will obviously have their own favourites. Obviously yours is QV but that doesn't make it any happier or better in others eyes. My personal favourite is QM2 and think QV/QE are equal and neither is better or happier than the other. If you choose a cruise would be down to itinerary and price as personally cruise experience would be the same. Having said that our cruise on QE last year, late replacement for QV, food was better in PG than recently on QV but think that is down to cut backs by Cunard rather than down to the ship.

Although I'm totally, utterly, completely  QV  biased, my comments are actually based on staff comments.

Sorry  must be meaningless to non Tolkien fans, Ents as others have said were gentle half tree people,  who got very angry with the Orcs who chopped trees down and destroyed everything for fun. The Ents when roused tore the Orcs to bits.  Hobbits were quiet , well dressed gentle folk who liked to eat at least three , 3 course or more meals a day. So they would be ideal Cunarders

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Oh, dear. No unkindness intended on my part. I enjoy your thoughtful and big-hearted posts.

Having family members who are or were members of their college Ents team, middle earth wasn't forefront in my thinking.

Never took to Tolkien 👎 although I soldiered through a few books when I was at college. Avoided them ever after!

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry  must be meaningless to non Tolkien fans, Ents as others have said were gentle half tree people,  who got very angry with the Orcs who chopped trees down and destroyed everything for fun. The Ents when roused tore the Orcs to bits.  Hobbits were quiet , well dressed gentle folk who liked to eat at least three , 3 course or more meals a day. So they would be ideal Cunarders

Totally meaningless. But, as a disappointing aside, I had a friend whose mother was actually taught Early English by Tolkien when he was a professor, although she was a mere undergraduate. It was and is pretty unusual for undergraduates to be tutored by real professors. Disappointingly he was rather a poor teacher.

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Hobbits were quiet , well dressed gentle folk who liked to eat at least three , 3 course or more meals a day. So they would be ideal Cunarders

I’m quite sure you can get “Second Breakfast” and “Elevenses” which make any good Hobbit proud on Cunard.

😏

Bilbo and Frodo, of course, love the enrichment activities… but neither of them would like to sit at a table in Britannia with the anyone from the Sackville-Baggins side.

Edited by naturelovergirl

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Although I'm totally, utterly, completely  QV  biased, my comments are actually based on staff comments.

Like I said staff will always be loyal to the ship they are serving currently on. Don't think if they are on QV they are going to tell customers that QE or QM2 is a better or happier ship.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Like I said staff will always be loyal to the ship they are serving currently on. Don't think if they are on QV they are going to tell customers that QE or QM2 is a better or happier ship.

I refer you to comment 20.

2 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

I’m quite sure you can get “Second Breakfast” and “Elevenses” which make any good Hobbit proud on Cunard.

On my first TA, I had breakfast in Brittania, then second breakfast in King's Court, and Elevenses in Carinthia (or vice versa.) 

I had to cut down this year, but definitely did have at least two breakfasts more than one morning. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

Some of you may remember contributor @Cruachan who went my the moniker "Jimmy Three-Breakfasts". Sadly he is no longer with us but I have no doubt he would heartily agree.

• Like 5

On 12/14/2022 at 7:32 PM, majortom10 said:

QM2 is our favourite ship of all that we have done in over 50 cruises in 25yrs. We have also sailed on QE/QV and to be honest in my opinion there is very little difference between the 2 to favour one or the other. I have always found the staff equal on whatever Cunard ship we have been on and cannot honestly say one is more friendly than the other as staff come and go and regularly change ships.

Totally agree Major. 

But then, you and I have sailed on both for considerably longer than 4 nights.

Just off QV and to be honest we both thought it had a very different atmosphere to QE.  QE being the best but only in our humble opinion.  We thought QE was a much happier ship.

Some of the above may have been down to staffing levels.  There was a noticeable  lowering of the numbers of wine waiters in the Queens Room and some other bars.    Indeed, one of our waiters, who was there for breakfast, lunch and dinner looked worn out one day and it was because the day previously he had an exercise after breakfast, and after breakfast on the second day he had training.  That left hardly any time for rest or recreation.  Must say there seemed to be fewer waiters too.

Had a good cruise but didn't feel the "wow" so much as before.

The topic being discussed is surely atmosphere differences between Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. 

While I'll openly admit to sailing on Queen Victoria more often than Queen Elizabeth I'll also admit that there in my view there is less than a cigarette papers width in atmosphere and style difference between the two vistas.

Queen Mary 2 is of course a world of difference apart and until one has crossed the Atlantic in her I'd comfortably say they've never really experienced Cunard.

832738200_JazzatthePub.thumb.jpg.6a0aa5b78ba9d71d693885bfb4c7e3d4.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Queen Mary 2 is of course a world of difference apart and until one has crossed the Atlantic in her I'd comfortably say they've never really experienced Cunard.

This seems a very reductive view and one that I can’t imagine the justification for, except that may make some of us feel strangely inadequate. I think it is very hard to argue someone who has done a world cruise on, say, QV, or perhaps QE2, hasn’t really experienced Cunard. If you’ve travelled on a Cunard ship, surely you’ve experienced Cunard.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

The topic being discussed is surely atmosphere differences between Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. 

While I'll openly admit to sailing on Queen Victoria more often than Queen Elizabeth I'll also admit that there in my view there is less than a cigarette papers width in atmosphere and style difference between the two vistas.

832738200_JazzatthePub.thumb.jpg.6a0aa5b78ba9d71d693885bfb4c7e3d4.jpg

When making a comment, one assumes the opening topic is under discussion. However, when quoting a specific comment, addressing the contents of that comment specifically, unless further clarification is given, means there can be no misunderstanding .

I'm not so hidebound as to think one particular ship exemplifies Cunard in the 21st century. QM2 maybe the flagship and for that deserves a special place in the Cunard family but her sisters are also Cunard and for that I and thousands of others, have experienced Cunard.

A ''true'' Cunard experience means all who travel on a Cunard ship feel they have had a wonderful time.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This seems a very reductive view and one that I can’t imagine the justification for, except that may make some of us feel strangely inadequate. I think it is very hard to argue someone who has done a world cruise on, say, QV, or perhaps QE2, hasn’t really experienced Cunard. If you’ve travelled on a Cunard ship, surely you’ve experienced Cunard.

Oh I SO agree with you.

Luckily, I don't feel at all inadequate with my own Cunard experiences and I'm sure you and thousands of others don't either. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A ''true'' Cunard experience means all who travel on a Cunard ship feel they have had a wonderful time.

I agree a true Cunard  experience is any trip on any Cunard ship of any length, hopefully you will have a wonderful time. 

One of the negatives of this forum is people who think there is only oneway to be a Cunarder.  Whichever ship you travel on, whether you like to dress up , or casually eat in self service, you are welcome and a Cunarder .

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

As my wife will not contemplate a TA , I will never be a Cunarder, even when I have sailed on all 3 current ships.

• Like 3