Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

2 minutes ago, vividharp said:

I thought I was doing a good thing by booking in November to wait until the kinks were all worked out. Now I’m starting to question if November is far enough out. 😳

That is one reason why some pros don't recommend inaugural sailings. A) usually the beds and toilets have been used before, B) The kinks still need to be worked out.

Even if Princess only staffs those with >5y of experience on the ships, it's a new ship, new design, new faces, new people, new requirements and new chaos that happens outside of guests view.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vividharp said:

I thought I was doing a good thing by booking in November to wait until the kinks were all worked out. Now I’m starting to question if November is far enough out. 😳

Please don’t say that! I’m booked for early May and wasn’t really worried until today 🫣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Due to a problem still being verified, they will all be disembarked by the evening.The first cruise, which was scheduled in just over a month, will also be postponed accordingly.

1st published date?

18 minutes ago, Hollyann said:

Thank you for clarifying that. I did not catch that on the "first cancellation" go around. I am starting to realize that I should start paying close attention to these details even though my cruise is still a few weeks away😱.  We would have literally been on a plane over the ocean when we received that email yesterday. So heartbroken for the passengers. 

You’re welcome. My friends were on the February 8 inaugural and they thought that they would be receiving 50% off. I read it and then let them know what I just told you. Of course they were pretty excited to receive 50% off of a cruise but unfortunately, that did not happen. 

Good luck, and I hope you get to sail! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when was this article first published?

If you read this very carefully, in two places they are saying that the FIRST cruise is postponed.  Then they qualify that, by saying the first cruise, which is being postponed, is "just over a month" away.  Based on that, I believe that this was first published at the time that the February 8th sailing was cancelled.  So, that may have been the original problem.  Not what has scuttled this Sunday's sailing.

Technical glitch: the Sun Princess won't start

He would have had to leave Monfalcone with a thousand workers on board to reach Civitavecchia. First cruise postponed

Technical problems for the Sun Princess, a prototype ship powered by liquefied natural gas built in Monfalcone. The ship was supposed to leave in the night from the Monfalcone plant for Civitavecchia with almost a thousand workers on board.

Due to a problem still being verified, they will all be disembarked by the evening. As a result, the first cruise, which was scheduled in just over a month, will also be postponed.

The first delivery to the shipowner was scheduled for the end of January, but had been postponed to complete finishing work. The technical glitch concerns the drinking water system, where traces of diesel would have been found.

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when was this article first published?

It was posted in post 1971 by @Fuge  I just pasted translation.

An Italian website says that the technical problem concerns the drinking water system, where traces of diesel fuel were found.

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/fvg/articoli/2024/02/gasolio-nellimpianto-dellacqua-la-sun-princess-non-parte-fincantieri-monfalcone-a826b6c1-354d-494f-bc6b-cdb93eded4e7.html

• Thanks 1

If the original article was written in Italian, somethings are likely to get jumbled in translation. I would not read too much into every word choice for that reason.

It is very helpful though to have the reporting and to know the general issue. 

• Like 3

Since I was supposed to be doing back-to-back sailings (2/18 & 2/28), a post on this thread late last night from someone in the same situation worried me.  The poster relayed that when he called Princess late last night, they assured him that the 2/28 sailing was also going to be cancelled too, as well as possibly more.

Unfortunately, post-Covid, a large percentage of front line reservations agents are either new, or are based off-shore.  And, these folks are not founts of correct information a lot of the time.  Especially for anything but simple questions or straight forward tasks.  That is why I questioned the information that was given to the poster last night about multiple cruise cancellations.

I just finished speaking with the Partner Support Team at Princess.  This is a small group of the most seasoned and knowledgeable Princess front line agents, who are available only to travel agents, to help solve problems that no one else seems to be able to do,  This is like the buck-stops-here.

They confirmed that at this time, the ONLY sailing oficially cancelled is the February 18th, and top management has not put out anything about further sailings being cancelled.

That being said, since it seems only a few folks at the upper most level of Princess management are privy to what is going on, and what may happen from this point, we will just have to wait and see (and pray if you are so inclined).  

Like most people, I have non-refundable air fares. While the airline is willing to change my outbound flight to Rome for the 27th, instead of this Saturday, that change will involve the ticket being fared with today's significantly higher prices, as opposed to what I originally paid last summer.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Still waiting for an official press release to come out today from Princess.

only thing we have really seen is the notification sent to the guests on the Feb 18 cancellation.

hopefully the official press release provides some additional transparency.

February 14, 2024 7:00 AM EST

Princess Cruises Takes Delivery of New Sun Princess from Fincantieri; Additional Work in Shipyard Required to Support New February 28 Maiden Voyage

February 18 Voyage Regrettably Cancelled;
Princess to Give Guests Full Refund Plus 50% Future Cruise Credit and Cover Travel Costs

MONFALCONE, Italy, Feb. 14, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises today has taken delivery of Sun Princess, an entirely new ship platform designed by Fincantieri exclusively for the Princess brand. 

The 175,500-ton, 4,300-guest Sun Princess is the most impressive luxurious and stunning Love Boat ever created, offering an array of exciting new entertainment and activities, as well as sensational staterooms and suites across a broad spectrum of categories. 

With the most balconies on any Princess ship, guests can take in the sunshine and crystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean and Caribbean from the comfort of their stateroom.

The Dome, a transformational entertainment venue inspired by the terraces of Santorini, is the perfect place to relax and the Arena! is an evolution and the most technologically advanced Princess Theater design.

The ship does need to remain alongside in the shipyard to allow for additional technical work to ensure an outstanding vacation is delivered. Accordingly, the cruise line regrettably is cancelling the February 18 voyage. Sun Princess now will make its maiden voyage on February 28 from Rome.

Guests who were booked on the February 18 voyage will receive a full refund of the cruise fare along with any additional onboard services that were pre-purchased, as well as a 50% future cruise credit (FCC) that can be used on a future Princess voyage*.

The cruise brand is also offering financial reimbursement for select travel costs for guests who have already arrived ahead of their sailing and for guests who have not yet started their travel certain changes fees related to flights. 

Princess is also protecting travel agent commissions.

*FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Sounds like it's very possible the water contamination was found at the last minute, probably as part of the normal testing procedures. Yes, it is a big deal and must be dealt with immediately and canceling the current sailing is definitely a last minute thing. I wouldn't fault Princess management for a technical issue like this. IMHO it's likely water testing has been going on since they started using the system for human consumption and this is a brand new issue. Would love to have @chengkp75 chime in here.

Well this is the second cruise canceled.  It’s quite possible the same “technical” issue is responsible for canceling both cruises, in which case Princess has known about it for some time. 

Of course there is no way of knowing for sure, as Princess is being purposely vague.  A water contamination issue is likely something they would want to keep under wraps.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eroller said:

Well this is the second cruise canceled.  It’s quite possible the same “technical” issue is responsible for canceling both cruises, in which case Princess has known about it for some time. 

Of course there is no way of knowing for sure, as Princess is being purposely vague.  A water contamination issue is likely something they would want to keep under wraps.  

The first cruise date was delayed because of union issue with the builder - it stalled work on many of their ship builds. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GrannasVacay said:

The first cruise date was delayed because of union issue with the builder - it stalled work on many of their ship builds. 

That was the rumor yes, but not confirmed by Princess.  

And if the real reason then probably a blessing since it could have been disastrous having a water contamination issue with passengers onboard.  

Edited by eroller

34 minutes ago, eroller said:

The shipyard touting the delivery of SUN PRINCESS today.  No mention of any issues.  

IMG_8576.jpeg

If you zoom in on Fincantieri's Instagram post you will see that the cruise is absolutely unfinished, what a disaster!

Edited by Fuge

The article from the Italian website has been updated to indicate that the problem has been resolved?  If true did they just overreact or is there more going one?

However, the ship, contrary to what was expected, will remain in the shipyard for further technical work . Sun Princess had yesterday embarked almost a thousand technicians necessary for the maiden voyage, scheduled from Civitavecchia, which was however postponed due to some misunderstandings: among these, the discovery of traces of diesel inside one of the drinking water tanks , However, the problem has already been resolved according to Fincantieri.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, we have two very good friends that have been onboard for the past month.  Last week, they both advised that there was no way the ship would be ready to sail on the 18th.  Why management waited this long to cancel is very interesting! 🤔

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2