Bringing on drinks

bubba3197

Royal allows 2 types of drinks to be brought on board, per cabin:

• 2 bottles of wine (or champagne)
  • 12 bottles of water (or soda)

From the description, it says that both of these need to be in your carry-on on boarding day (i.e. not in the checked bags).   Is that correct, or would I be able to put some of these in the checked baggage?

Read that some people have slapped luggage tags on water and sent it with the porters.  For us it was easier to just buy a few cans to have in the cabin and then with the drink package I just stocked up during the day and took them back to the cabin, which I did also with beers.  I was always able to get extra unopened cans of beer to take back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubba3197 said:

From the description, it says that both of these need to be in your carry-on on boarding day (i.e. not in the checked bags).   Is that correct, or would I be able to put some of these in the checked baggage?

or juice.  Any non-alcoholic beverage.

31 minutes ago, ORV said:

Are plastic bottles ok? Seems I read somewhere that sodas should be in cans. 

Material doesn't matter.

14 hours ago, bubba3197 said:

From the description of the rules what does it say?  Just follow the rules and you will be good.  

I've been giving some thought to logistics of our carry-on.    We will have 4 bottles of wine (two rooms) and a 12-pack of Diet DP.   That will get pretty heavy.     I was originally thinking of dragging out one of those wheeled fold-up luggage things from before luggage had wheels.   But, now I am thinking it will be more secure to use a wheeled luggage as carry-on that I normally use as checked luggage, and carefully packing everything in there.   Putting in the wine, sodas, daughter's medicine, swimsuits, and enough extra clothes for padding.   Could even add bubble-wrap.   

This dropping all the checked luggage off with a porter is a game-changer from flying since we don't need to worry about restrictions or the luggage being abused.      

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I've been giving some thought to logistics of our carry-on.    We will have 4 bottles of wine (two rooms) and a 12-pack of Diet DP.   That will get pretty heavy.     I was originally thinking of dragging out one of those wheeled fold-up luggage things from before luggage had wheels.   But, now I am thinking it will be more secure to use a wheeled luggage as carry-on that I normally use as checked luggage, and carefully packing everything in there.   Putting in the wine, sodas, daughter's medicine, swimsuits, and enough extra clothes for padding.   Could even add bubble-wrap.   

This dropping all the checked luggage off with a porter is a game-changer from flying since we don't need to worry about restrictions or the luggage being abused.      

All to save how much?

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

All to save how much?

Not about the savings.   
They don't have Diet DP on board.   DH vastly prefers DP.   
I am particular about my wine.   They are likely to have the same quality of wine that I'd bring onboard, but not the precise thing I want.  For example, I'm likely to bring a Natural Rose Champagne, they won't have that and they'd try to talk me into a big name Champagne that was neither Natural or Rose.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Not about the savings.   
They don't have Diet DP on board.   DH vastly prefers DP.   
I am particular about my wine.   They are likely to have the same quality of wine that I'd bring onboard, but not the precise thing I want.  For example, I'm likely to bring a Natural Rose Champagne, they won't have that and they'd try to talk me into a big name Champagne that was neither Natural or Rose.  

I get it! My wife also prefers diet dr pepper, but would rather enjoy a coke zero than carrying on drinks. Each to his own. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1