Upgrade Advantage Question

johnrich

I almost always book through NCL and have always had the choice of bidding on an upgrade. Since our upcoming cruise is the first one we’ve taken since Covid I wasn’t sure if things have changed. If I click on the Room Upgrades button on the My Plans Page and type in my name and reservation number it says “reservation not found.” Is there a time frame when bidding starts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 hours ago, johnrich said:

I almost always book through NCL and have always had the choice of bidding on an upgrade. Since our upcoming cruise is the first one we’ve taken since Covid I wasn’t sure if things have changed. If I click on the Room Upgrades button on the My Plans Page and type in my name and reservation number it says “reservation not found.” Is there a time frame when bidding starts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pre-pandemic used to be around 80 days prior to departure. Now it is more like 50. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, johnrich said:

I’ve bid on a cruise that’s 6 weeks away. I suggest you use the “Chat” feature & see what they say. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

We bid about 2 weeks ago on a cruise in early April.

Ditto 👍🏼we are on the Encore in April and got the email 2 weeks ago and have already placed bids. However we were on the Bliss this past September and the email came at 90 days out…so go figure 

• Like 1

Nowadays, it seems NCL will send out those upgrade bids email much earlier than before (80 or 90 days) and you can place your (multiple ones, as you wish) bid offers once you see your reservation(s) on that system.  

Within the past month or so, I can attest and confirm, winning bids have been "awarded" at 3 weeks and 7 weeks pre-embarkation, much earlier than usual ... and those are poor to just barely, fair bids for balcony upgrades.  YMMV.

Happy, safe, warm and healthy holidays to all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Within the past month or so, I can attest and confirm, winning bids have been "awarded" at 3 weeks and 7 weeks pre-embarkation, much earlier than usual ... and those are poor to just barely, fair bids for balcony upgrades.  YMMV.

I think YMMV is the key here.  On my recent cruises, based on the roll calls I was on, I don't recall exactly how far in advance the window opened but I'd guess a few months before.  Upgrades began to get awarded a week or two before we sailed and continued until days before.  If anyone was upgraded further in advance than that, they weren't posting it online. 

I bid on a Club Balcony (from balcony) and didn't get it, but I only bid a bit over the minimum.  They did keep me on the list until I was literally onboard before I got the "Sorry" email, so I surmise that I was on the bubble but that's just my guess. 

Sounds like the timing of these may vary, perhaps based on available capacity/availability on the ship.  Just another of those great mysteries of NCL.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 3

On 12/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, johnrich said:

I called NCL about this last week and was told it's too far out from my cruise for that option to be available.

I had 2 bids on the Getaway going from an Inside to an Ocean View & Balcony for a February 6, 2023 cruise.  I canceled both bids & plan to wait until w weeks before the cruise to see if the bidding prices have gone down. Since I’m traveling solo I’ll have to pay double. 

What are people’s experiences…Bid early or bid late?

Here’s the current bidding offerings. 

Tom😀

image.png

Edited by trbarton

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

I had 2 bids on the Getaway going from an Inside to an Ocean View & Balcony for a February 6, 2023 cruise.  I canceled both bids & plan to wait until w weeks before the cruise to see if the bidding prices have gone down. Since I’m traveling solo I’ll have to pay double. 

What are people’s experiences…Bid early or bid late?

Here’s the current bidding offerings. 

Tom😀

image.png

It’s very rare they the bidding prices go down it does happen but rarely and when it does it’s usually haven

20 minutes ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

It’s very rare they the bidding prices go down it does happen but rarely and when it does it’s usually haven

Thank you very much. My thinking was based on Princess where the bidding prices went down as it got closer to the cruise. 

Tom😀

This summer we cruised to Alaska and received the invite to bid at just under 90 days pre-cruise and acceptance three days before sailing. 

We have another cruise coming up and booked at about 45 days out and received the invite to bid almost immediately. We are now 24 days out and no acceptance as yet.

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thank you very much. My thinking was based on Princess where the bidding prices went down as it got closer to the cruise. 

Tom😀

Hi Tom,

NCl upgrade advantage typically does not work that way I’ve been monitoring upgrade advantage now with NCL since 2017 sailing and always reviewing the upgrade threads.  As far as bidding now or closer to sailing your choice remember until very recently the majority of the ocean view and balconies were not upgraded until 3 to 5 business days before the cruise.  You must remember though each and every sailing is different algorithms based on price inventory etc Happy sailing!!