Bringing 19 year old friends without their parents?

Blondie511

I am a Carnival cruise newbie, so I would love some advice please!  Just booked the Carnival Magic for this summer.  I booked two rooms - one has me and hubby, and next door in a separate room is my 19 year old son and his 19 year old friend.  After telling his friends about our upcoming cruise, my son wants to invite two more 19 year olds to cruise too, in a separate room.  These kids would go without their parents.  Can I vouch for them?  How does this work?  

You will have to be their "guardians" for the cruise. You don't have to be their legal guardian outside of the cruise, but just have their bookings linked to yours, check in together, and take responsibility for them. They can be booked wherever they want to be booked on the ship, though. We had to do this when we took an office cruise and my husband had one employee who was 19.  

• Thanks 1

Wow...good luck... 4 -19 year olds, no parents on a ship (except your son) with 100s of very available and scantily clothed girls...dont forget they can get into places like the adult comedy shows on their own, some clubs, check the drinking age in the ports...just some things that you should be more aware of since they will be your responsibility during that time. 

We would do it for one friend but forget 4.  My DFIL always said "one teenage boy has a full functioning brain...2 teenage boys together have half a brain and any more than that have zero brains all together...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

We would do it for one friend but forget 4.  My DFIL always said "one teenage boy has a full functioning brain...2 teenage boys together have half a brain and any more than that have zero brains all together...

Haha! That made me laugh! I have one of those 19 year old teenage boys right now, so I can attest to that at times. Not always, but yeah, they can get dumber the more there are. I'm grateful that our son has shown the ability to make mostly good choices. And any "not so good ones" are usually just goofy things. So for the 4th year in a row, he'll have his group of friends over at our house for NYE this weekend too. He'd rather be home, be safe, and have his friends safe, than trying to be out and stupid. But we know plenty that don't make the best choices. Their brains are definitely not fully developed yet.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

Wow...good luck... 4 -19 year olds, no parents on a ship (except your son) with 100s of very available and scantily clothed girls...dont forget they can get into places like the adult comedy shows on their own, some clubs, check the drinking age in the ports...just some things that you should be more aware of since they will be your responsibility during that time. 

On our last cruise our kids were 14, 14, 16, 19 and 20, good times! 

• Like 1

We took one 19-year-old friend and had the parent write a note for a medical release in case of emergency.....not even sure if it would have worked, but I at least had something documented that I was responsible for the 19 year old.

• Like 1

Geez.  The 19 year old we took with us was an adult with a full-time job, her own apartment and her own car.  And she had a kid by age 21.  I had a college degree by 21 and a doctorate by 27.  I guess that is the difference between boys and girls so long as the girls don't go boy crazy.  Not looking forward to my boys getting to that age.  Although, I don't really worry about girls as they are so nerdy I don't think they will probably get a girlfriend until they are 30. 

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm sorry but could someone explain to me why 19 year Olds need adult guardians? When I was 19 I had been out of the house and married for 2 years and completely self sufficient. Are kids that sheltered and not raised to be independent by 18 like my generation?  But the drinking age was 18 back then.

• Like 3

Just now, roguebandit1441 said:

I'm sorry but could someone explain to me why 19 year Olds need adult guardians? When I was 19 I had been out of the house and married for 2 years and completely self sufficient. Are kids that sheltered and not raised to be independent by 18 like my generation?  But the drinking age was 18 back then.

Not everyone matures at the same rate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Not everyone matures at the same rate.

I understand that but have the laws changed,  I'm sorry but I never had children and know from a legal standpoint(retired law enforcement) that a person is considered an adult at 18 and responsible for their own actions. At least in the state of Texas anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roguebandit1441 said:

I understand that but have the laws changed,  I'm sorry but I never had children and know from a legal standpoint(retired law enforcement) that a person is considered an adult at 18 and responsible for their own actions. At least in the state of Texas anyway.

You're not in the state of Texas, or any state for that matter, on a cruise ship so that's not really relevant is it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, roguebandit1441 said:

Bottom line, the cruise line doesn't want a bunch of unsupervised young adults running wild on their ships. (By no means unique to Carnival.) No idea why they continue to refer to them as minors, though. Married adults under 21 can travel together without an older relative or guardian.

Mom and son booked in one room.  Dad and three 19 year olds booked in a Quad room.  Have the room keys changed on board so mom and dad are together, and hope that the four guys behave well.

Carnival requires every person to be financially responsible - so the young men will need to register a cc/debit card, or bring cash to put on their Folio / room account.  OP, please don't offer up your credit card to 'cover' the young men's purchases - it may not end well for you and your wallet.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, James4me said:

Wow did not know that.  

On NCL we had to book our 19 and 20 year olds in a cabin with someone 21 or older. We were able to sign a waiver giving them permission to order beer and wine. ETA most hotels will not allow those under 21 to book rooms (a concerning issue with young adults away at college during Covid).

Edited by mjkacmom

you can not just accept guardianship--   the online states LEGAL guardian.    So taking friends you are not the legal guardian.   I dont know how people are putting friends in their own cabin as I have had issues since 2005     (grand daughter age 18 months could not sail in the parents cabin since no one was over 21        and just two weeks ago booked a friend of the grand daughter who had to have a parent booked into the room    (we can move it around once onboard)  

3 hours ago, serene56 said:

you can not just accept guardianship--   the online states LEGAL guardian.    

No it doesn't.  In fact, it states the exact opposite:

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

Source: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

On NCL we had to book our 19 and 20 year olds in a cabin with someone 21 or older. We were able to sign a waiver giving them permission to order beer and wine. ETA most hotels will not allow those under 21 to book rooms (a concerning issue with young adults away at college during Covid).

I would consider signing something like that for my own kids, but I would NEVER take responsibility for the drinking of anyone else's underage kids.

• Like 4