A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

Just now, jpalbny said:

When you take another WC like that, I'll buy it for you for Christmas!

Thank you!  However, you are quite safe.  This is our last kick at the can!  😉

On 5/9/2024 at 9:04 AM, jpalbny said:

Mysty, you need a Pacific-centered map for this voyage! No crossing from one side to the other.

Screenshot_20240508_190154_Gallery.thumb.jpg.14908bad90faf039ac78740cbbdb2023.jpg

Accurate map. Australia and New Zealand are in the right place. Centre of the world. Or at least in the place where we think they should be!😍😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@turtlemichael, THIS is the map for you! Oz is front and center!

Reversed_Earth_map_1000x500.jpg.4e02a2afe32218300849c0f0d05c2c01.jpg

North/South is completely arbitrary, so this map is just as valid as the ones we're used to. But it makes me dizzy just looking at it! And I don't recommend that @mysty puts it in her stateroom. That could make her seasick. 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

@turtlemichael, THIS is the map for you! Oz is front and center!

Reversed_Earth_map_1000x500.jpg.4e02a2afe32218300849c0f0d05c2c01.jpg

North/South is completely arbitrary, so this map is just as valid as the ones we're used to. But it makes me dizzy just looking at it! And I don't recommend that @mysty puts it in her stateroom. That could make her seasick. 

This map reminds me of my complete and entirely uncharacteristic lack of getting my bearings in my first few days in Oz. I Was furious. My sense of direction beats anything out of any SatNav but my first few days down there I hadn’t a clue what was where. It felt like I’d lost my superpower and had to ask people where my Hotel was. So much shame.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

This map reminds me of my complete and entirely uncharacteristic lack of getting my bearings in my first few days in Oz. I Was furious. My sense of direction beats anything out of any SatNav but my first few days down there I hadn’t a clue what was where. It felt like I’d lost my superpower and had to ask people where my Hotel was. So much shame.

I've been told that I never know which way is up at the best of times!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I've been told that I never know which way is up at the best of times!

I Was utterly infuriated TM! Every moment of my life, I’ve always known exactly where I was and where everything else was but for 4 days I didn’t know my left from my right or my North from my South.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Was utterly infuriated TM! Every moment of my life, I’ve always known exactly where I was and where everything else was but for 4 days I didn’t know my left from my right or my North from my South.

You do have to get used to shadows pointing north instead of south.  It takes me awhile when I travel in Europe.  Like you, I usually have an excellent sense of direction.

I don't suppose it will matter when I get to Glasgow later this month.  There isn't any sun to create shadows, is there?  🌧️

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I got cross with myself when staying in Sydney, for four weeks  and it did not get any better.  We were on the north side of the harbour (right opposite the Opera House)  but I never managed to get it right.  It is disconcerting, I too normally know where north etc, is wherever I am.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Could you identify your elbow? 

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

But,,,,,  DW  aussies will always tell a pommie where to  go !!!      🤣🥂🤩😁

• Haha 7

True story time:

We were staying in the Park Hyatt in Sydney and for reasons I can't remember used the lift (elevator) quite often. I think it's only 2 storeys so were clearly just being lazy. 

Anyway, on one occasion who should be in the lift with me but Sir Geoff Hurst, World Cup winner and hattrick scorer in the '66 final. 

But it got even better when I shared the lift with the achingly beautiful Elle McPherson.

This story has no point, I'm just showing off. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Seward today.  Overcast and chilly.  No excursion booked.   Packing started.   Gloomy day weather wise and emotion wise.   All good things must come to an end but that doesn't mean that I have to like it! 🤨

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Packing started.

NOOOO! 😱

1 hour ago, mysty said:

All good things must come to an end but that doesn't mean that I have to like it! 🤨

We don't either! Can we take up a collection to keep you on board? 💰

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

NOOOO! 😱

We don't either! Can we take up a collection to keep you on board? 💰

Thank you for the thought!  🥰  It is time to say goodbye.   I packed 2 pieces of ship ahead luggage (more accurately ship behind 😅).  Myster went for a walk about.  It's all good! 😁

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Seward today.  Overcast and chilly.  No excursion booked.   Packing started.   Gloomy day weather wise and emotion wise.   All good things must come to an end but that doesn't mean that I have to like it! 🤨

:classic_sad:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

You’ve been sailing for so long home will feel like an exotic port!

Very true!  We just hope the natives continue to be friendly! 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hi Mysty, glad you had such a good time and it was lovely following along with your exceptional pictures and details.

Happy you made it home safely. 

So when is your next World Cruise?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Mysty, glad you had such a good time and it was lovely following along with your exceptional pictures and details.

Happy you made it home safely. 

So when is your next World Cruise?

We fly home on May 23rd.   😁  Not much time left.

• Like 2