Volendam no more ?

mwj

Correct. Initially it looks like none of the Hawaii or South Pacific cruises are listed yet after April.  But odd that it's not showing the ship at all.It doesn't return to West Coast from Port Everglades so maybe dry dock or sold. 

8 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Correct. Initially it looks like none of the Hawaii or South Pacific cruises are listed yet after April.  But odd that it's not showing the ship at all.It doesn't return to West Coast from Port Everglades so maybe dry dock or sold. 

There wouldn't be any Hawaii or South Pacific cruises until October-ish, none of the October and later cruises are listed for any ship yet.

Too soon to be jumping to conclusions.

• Like 3

And, of note, there are no Canada/New England cruises yet.  Zaandam is slated for Alaska in 2024.  Volendam is the only other ship that can go to Montreal (the others are too tall to clear the bridges).  Just need to wait and see.  Another point to note, once the summer begins in 2024, the only destinations listed are Alaska and Europe.  They haven’t finalized the other schedules yet.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

And, of note, there are no Canada/New England cruises yet.  Zaandam is slated for Alaska in 2024.  Volendam is the only other ship that can go to Montreal (the others are too tall to clear the bridges).  Just need to wait and see.  Another point to note, once the summer begins in 2024, the only destinations listed are Alaska and Europe.  They haven’t finalized the other schedules yet.

I noticed the 2024 Voyage of the Vikings is on the Zuiderdam. So, my guess is Zuiderdam will do Canada New England. Hopefully they add a smaller ship to that area as well since it’s where I’d like to go in 2024. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

Volendam is the only other ship that can go to Montreal (the others are too tall to clear the bridges).

2 hours ago, Andi Land said:

I noticed the 2024 Voyage of the Vikings is on the Zuiderdam. So, my guess is Zuiderdam will do Canada New England.

Yes looking at the dates it appears something will change here in New England in 2024. The usual voyage for the New England/Canada smaller ship coming up here in mid to late April has been an 11 day Fort Lauderdale to Montreal cruise, and then starting 7 day runs between Montreal and Boston for the summer every Saturday. The larger ships are doing the Voyage of the Vikings cruise, with the Nieuw Statendam doing it in '23 and Zuiderdam in '24.  The Volendam docks in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday April 21, 2024 so the 11 day run would put it into Montreal on Thursday May 2 which doesn't work. Of course they could do a 6 day run to Boston and start the weekly cruises instead from there. Then again the long run of years that HAL has done this route may have finally run its course. Which also makes the question of what happens with the Volendam more interesting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Of course they could do a 6 day run to Boston and start the weekly cruises instead from there.

They can't do a 6 day run from FLL to Boston -- that violates the PVSA.

I have done 4 east coast repositioning cruises and they 13,13,14, and 15 days, not 11.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I have done several east coast repositioning cruises and they are generally 12 - 14 days, not 11.

Correct, unless Hamilton, Bermuda is thrown into that 6 day cruise. Or a stop in Hamilton is planned on the Fort Lauderdale to Montreal cruise which could put the Volendam in Montreal on Saturday May 4th.

• Like 1

Just now, Destiny0315 said:

Correct, unless Hamilton, Bermuda is thrown into that 6 day cruise. Or a stop in Hamilton is planned on the Fort Lauderdale to Montreal cruise which could put the Volendam in Montreal on Saturday May 4th.

Hamilton, Bermuda does not qualify as a 'distant' foreign port. Your itinerary isn't covered by the PVSA because it ends in a foreign port (Montreal) and does not transport people between two US cities without a 'distant' foreign port.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Hamilton, Bermuda does not qualify as a 'distant' foreign port.

That's why I am not designing Hal's future cruise schedule.😊 I'm just trying to figure out what it might be and hoping that they still keep an active presence at the Boston seaport.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Hamilton, Bermuda does not qualify as a 'distant' foreign port. Your itinerary isn't covered by the PVSA because it ends in a foreign port (Montreal) and does not transport people between two US cities without a 'distant' foreign port.

Would HMC qualify as a distant foreign port?

9 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

No, the only islands that qualify are the ABC islands which are considered part of South America and therefore are 'distant' foreign ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

As Rich said, no it isn't 'distant' enough. 

Think of a 'near' foreign port as something on the North American continent, and a 'distant' foreign port as on another continent. It may not be a perfect reasoning, but it's very, very close. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

I have done 4 east coast repositioning cruises and they 13,13,14, and 15 days, not 11.

I did a 12-day one from Quebec City - with a stop in Port Canaveral included.

Edited by Happily@Sea

8 hours ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

Volendam is the only other ship that can go to Montreal (the others are too tall to clear the bridges)

Yes just like when the HAL ships became too big to navigate into Hamilton, Bermuda, I'm afraid the the days of docking in Montreal are now numbered too.

1 hour ago, Happily@Sea said:

I did a 12-day one from Quebec City - with a stop in Port Canaveral included.

That is because the cruise didn't start in a US port. I am not sure you are referring to the PVSA issue, but, in a short statement, a cruise ship not flagged in the US can't sail from one US port to another without a stop in a "distant foreign port". So no repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Boston (or reverse) without stopping in a South American port. (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are considered part of South America for the purpose of this law.)

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

That is because the cruise didn't start in a US port. I am not sure you are referring to the PVSA issue, but, in a short statement, a cruise ship not flagged in the US can't sail from one US port to another without a stop in a "distant foreign port". So no repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Boston (or reverse) without stopping in a South American port. (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are considered part of South America for the purpose of this law.)

I was mostly responding to the number of days. Rich listed some lengths - but his shortest was 13 days - I was just providing a 12-day listing and our departure port. I do know about PVSA - especially when not looping back to same port.

I hope I made sense - I knew what I wanted to say.