Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

35 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I’m on Reflection right now OV cafe is open. There is a pasta station. There is a main course station with a minimum of 3 GF selections. (I did talk to the Matre d at noon which may have influenced menu choices) A greens station, bread and dessert station. It was a bit busy but not terribly. Decent food all around

Janet

Thank you for posting. At what time of day were your observations? 

Cheeses yes. Greek station: I don’t think 

so. There were several other entrees other than gluten free, rice and green curry, some type of spiced chicken, pork loin,  pizza, corn soup. There was fresh fruit, baked and mashed potato’s, fingerling potato’s.

On 1/1/2023 at 9:39 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

New room service charges are appearing on the reflection app (unless the poster fabricated the screen shot and that's unlikely). Discussion here:

Holland America does not charge  room service fees  .We just tip the deliverer 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

She suggested if the dining room service is slow to avail myself of one of the popular specialty dining restaurants. How is this a solution to removing a complimentary casual restaurant? 

They will make more $$ and solve their monetary problems 🙂 🙂 

I think that we had a thread on this.  X is decimating the buffet to drive people to pay venues.

I would not be surprised if they add a new specialty restaurant to the OVC for dinner as it will be fairly empty.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would not be surprised if they add a new specialty restuarant to the OVC for dinner as it will be fairly empty.

That is what HAL did on their older ships, the Italian Canaletto specialty restaurant was added to space in their Lido buffets..

Edited by terrydtx

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

They will make more $$ and solve their monetary problems 🙂 🙂 

I think that we had a thread on this.  X is decimating the buffet to drive people to pay venues.

I would not be surprised if they add a new specialty restaurant to the OVC for dinner as it will be fairly empty.

HAL aleady do this IME.  Canaletto is found in the Buffet.

Well, I just got the call from the nice lady at the executive office. She acknowledged the changes and said they are fleetwide. She said I could try the Mast Grill as a casual dining alternative. I politely informed her that is a pool grill and not open at dinner time; even if it were it is not an acceptable substitute. 

I did challenge her as to whether my resort casual wear would be a problem in the MDR and she said golf shorts are allowed, just not pool wear. She told me under no circumstance would anyone be turned away from dinner as long as they were not in pool clothes. Excellent. I asked if I would have to wait in line at the dining room, she replied that is possible at busy time. I asked about the experience of people who like the dining room now, will they also have to wait in lines that I now may have to wait in. She said that was a possibility.  I said well I hope I get in line not being the last one.  She suggested if the dining room service is slow to avail myself of one of the popular specialty dining restaurants. How is this a solution to removing a complimentary casual restaurant? I did not wish to go round and round and thanked her for her call and trusted that she was sending comments to management. 

We should boycott the speciality restaurants or Celebrity altogether??

1 hour ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Cheeses yes. Greek station: I don’t think 

so. There were several other entrees other than gluten free, rice and green curry, some type of spiced chicken, pork loin,  pizza, corn soup. There was fresh fruit, baked and mashed potato’s, fingerling potato’s.

OK I have to ask what the heck is fingerling potatoes?? 

Well, I just got the call from the nice lady at the executive office. She acknowledged the changes and said they are fleetwide. She said I could try the Mast Grill as a casual dining alternative. I politely informed her that is a pool grill and not open at dinner time; even if it were it is not an acceptable substitute. 

I did challenge her as to whether my resort casual wear would be a problem in the MDR and she said golf shorts are allowed, just not pool wear. She told me under no circumstance would anyone be turned away from dinner as long as they were not in pool clothes. Excellent. I asked if I would have to wait in line at the dining room, she replied that is possible at busy time. I asked about the experience of people who like the dining room now, will they also have to wait in lines that I now may have to wait in. She said that was a possibility.  I said well I hope I get in line not being the last one.  She suggested if the dining room service is slow to avail myself of one of the popular specialty dining restaurants. How is this a solution to removing a complimentary casual restaurant? I did not wish to go round and round and thanked her for her call and trusted that she was sending comments to management. 

I am glad our next 4 cruises are in the Retreat so we do have Luminae which we can dine in every night. After those 4 cruises we will be reevaluating our continued loyalty to Celebrity. We already have one Oceania cruise booked and looking another on either O or Viking Ocean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Pork and beans does show up in the app for one of the nights on my upcoming Constellation sailings.

Totally discussing and how can anyone continue to dine in the MDR with these changes. I looked at the MDR entrees in the app for our June Equinox cruise and I did not find any pork and beans. However, several nights the fish entrees are Tilapia and Cobia both trash cheap farm raised fish. Also saw roasted turkey and several baked chicken breast dishes and way too much paste. None of these I consider gourmet or fine dining fare. Good thing we will be in Luminae for our meals.

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I did challenge her as to whether my resort casual wear would be a problem in the MDR and she said golf shorts are allowed, just not pool wear. She told me under no circumstance would anyone be turned away from dinner as long as they were not in pool clothes.

Well maybe something positive will come out of all this after all… Celebrity will finally have to relax their “no shorts” in the MDR rule, since there will no longer be a suitable casual alternative dinner venue.

11 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Well maybe something positive will come out of all this after all… Celebrity will finally have to relax their “no shorts” in the MDR rule, since there will no longer be a suitable casual alternative dinner venue.

What's next, California casual -- Jockstraps and shower shoes?  😉 😁

• Haha 2