Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

But apparently pork and beans are being substituted for the missing menu items. How do you make P & B gourmet?

Or was it Mac & cheese 

I am amazed how many people get excited about mac&cheese 

only place you can get a good Mac & cheese if you make it yourself 

https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/macaroni-and-cheese

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The Pork and Beans has been on the menu for awhile in the MDR nothing new.

I do not recall seeing it on our Reflection cruise last August, so it must have been added since. But why would any cruise line put an entree of such poor perception on their MDR menu?  I haven't had them since I was a kid and my parents were on tight budgets for food.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Or was it Mac & cheese 

In 2021 we visited a gastropub in Niagara Falls US that was known for their Mac and Cheese, and it was phenomenal and the best I ever had. On that same trip in Niagara Falls Canada at our Hilton Hotel we had a grilled cheese sandwich that was described as an "Adult" version that was as good as the Mac and Cheese. Both used 3 or 4 kinds of gourmet cheeses and added locally smoked bacon and ham.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

a good gumbo with sausage and chicken or left-over seafood (no Tilapia) would be better than pork and beans.

There was an outstanding gumbo on the MDR menu on Reflection.  I tried to place a 'to go' order of 5-gallons but unfortunately was unsuccessful.   But our waiter did bring me two bowls. 

• Like 2

I use Oceanview 50-60% of the time. Even more so now that they start charging for room service.

Simply not in the mood for the MDR, slightly better if I have BLU available but the buffet is just so much faster and more chill. I'm sitting through enough formal dinners throughout the year, don't need that every night on my holiday.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I do not recall seeing it on our Reflection cruise last August, so it must have been added since. But why would any cruise line put an entree of such poor perception on their MDR menu?  I haven't had them since I was a kid and my parents were on tight budgets for food.

I would agree is a poor name choice since some think it is Campbell or Bush’s P & B.  

If they want to cut costs, I would think they would go with more seasoned food like Indian and Cajun food. With all the seasoning you could go with a lesser quality ingredients few would notice. Jambalaya is my go to dish, but I really need to cruise out of Nola to get some good food. The midwest is rather bland and boring food wise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

A page or two back, some clever poster Frenchified the description of pork & beans.  I've found that speaking in French goes a long way toward making things appear fancy/gourmet.

haha...that was me....but la sauce est tout....wonder if more brown sugar sweetens the dish ?  🤔

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

If they want to cut costs, I would think they would go with more seasoned food like Indian and Cajun food. With all the seasoning you could go with a lesser quality ingredients few would notice. Jambalaya is my go to dish, but I really need to cruise out of Nola to get some good food. The midwest is rather bland and boring food wise.

One problem I can see with that is those items are likely made with repurposed proteins that OVC no longer serves. It's likely the same reason you can't find beef spring rolls on the MDR starter menu. There's no leftover beef to make them with. Each cut item has ripple effects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Or was it Mac & cheese 

Save your Spiny Lobster from the MDR and add it to your Mac & Cheese!  ☺️

• Haha 2

On our upcoming Equinox cruise, as long as my dw can order the escargot appetizer every night she is happy.  She needs something to dip her bread- garlic and butter!  We are in a suite but she can order it from the MDR menu.  If this was eliminated she would make us stop cruising on Celebrity!

If we do go to the Oceanview one night for dinner - we will just choose from the limited selections.  It won't ruin our cruise.  But I will definitely follow others here and express my dissatisfaction to the officers and on the post-cruise survey.

I would welcome PB &J.  Smooth or Crunchy? 

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

On our upcoming Equinox cruise, as long as my dw can order the escargot appetizer every night she is happy.  She needs something to dip her bread- garlic and butter!  We are in a suite but she can order it from the MDR menu.  If this was eliminated she would make us stop cruising on Celebrity!

If we do go to the Oceanview one night for dinner - we will just choose from the limited selections.  It won't ruin our cruise.  But I will definitely follow others here and express my dissatisfaction to the officers and on the post-cruise survey.

I would welcome PB &J.  Smooth or Crunchy? 

Crunchy!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Why are people that never go to OVC for dinner adamant about what the rest of us should be happy accepting? 

Says the guy who doesn't drink wine but wants to impose a corkage fee on others bringing wine onboard... 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Says the guy who doesn't drink wine but wants to impose a corkage fee on others bringing wine onboard... 

I feel sorry that you can't understand the difference.  I explained it clearly but you choose to ignore. Oh well, onto the block list. Another hater that I don't need to listen to in my life 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4