New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

56 minutes ago, crimsonbird said:

As a benefit of booking aqua class,  guests are offered an expanded room service breakfast menu...is there now a charge??  Hard to believe...but anything is possible.  

I just got off a B2B in AQ on Beyond. The “expanded” RS breakfast is minimal. Someone on this thread posted a screenshot indicating that AQ cabins are indeed subject to the $14.95 + charge. Only suites are exempt so dar.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

That's not good at all.... I hope it doesn't stick or migrate to other cruise lines. In other cost-cutting, service-cutting moves, Norwegian has just downgraded room service to once a day for non-suite guests.  

Fee + Grat is what I experienced on RCCL in Aug 2022. I hate that they're minimizing the difference with Celebrity, it theoretically costs more because of it's more inclusive nature.

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I guess for those who equate cruising with a beach holiday, AIs are a viable option. However, for those of us who enjoy cruising as a pleasant way to go places and see sites, they are not comparable at all.

This is the main reason my husband and I cruise.  And the big reason we choose port intensive.  I'm so tired from our days I have no time to order food at 2am.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

This is the main reason my husband and I cruise.  And the big reason we choose port intensive.  I'm so tired from our days I have no time to order food at 2am.

I like both, as a previous poster mentioned getting out of the midwest for a Winter Escape is often mostly about the sunshine and a palm tree. I am sure you can relate being from NJ?  Now when vacation planning for Europe or Alaska, clearly AI is not an option! 😁

Patty 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I guess for those who equate cruising with a beach holiday, AIs are a viable option. However, for those of us who enjoy cruising as a pleasant way to go places and see sites, they are not comparable at all.

Completely agree. Cruising was initially 'one stop' shopping for us. It served as a hassle free high value 'get away' . Now we will use it as a most convenient and still cost effective means to travel to destinations ie. the ship for us is no longer 'the destination'.  

On retirement we gladly anticipated taking three or more cruises a year.... maybe down to one 'destination' cruise now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

I've vacationed with Secrets and LeBlanc in Cancun and Cabo, very similar to Celebrity with the exception of alcohol options, not what I consider premium. The vibe is relaxed and the service is very nice with some entertainment thrown in the mix. The pools are amazing and you'll never need to fight for a lounger. I like to do both AI and Cruise, keeps vacations varied. I also enjoy that these are adults only. 

Patty 

Thanks Patty. Unfortunately, Mexico is a tough sell for my wife. Even cruises that call in Mexico are a non-starter.

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

That said we have found the Hyatt AI's to be upscale in a way I would consider X to be (mainstream plus??). They have acquired Secrets and Dreams so their catalog is now giant.

Thanks for this. I enjoy staying at Hyatts in general so I'll have to do more research on this. I have some status at Hyatt, ironically by way of my Celebrity Elite tier and MGM Gold match. The points aspect is also compelling since easy-to-accumulate Chase points transfer to to Hyatt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Thanks Patty. Unfortunately, Mexico is a tough sell for my wife. Even cruises that call in Mexico are a non-starter.

Thanks for this. I enjoy staying at Hyatts in general so I'll have to do more research on this. I have some status at Hyatt, ironically by way of my Celebrity Elite tier and MGM Gold match. The points aspect is also compelling since easy-to-accumulate Chase points transfer to to Hyatt.

Totally understand! As the other poster mentioned, Secrets are in many places now. I have also vacationed with Beaches in The Turks, kids were younger and loved it, for me the experience was just okay but Grace Bay is gorgeous!  

Patty 

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I would look at Excellence properties also,  I go to The Excellence El Carmen every year, Dominican Republic.   Very relaxing and great staff.   Decent shows and food.  Also Adults only overall.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, econprofessor said:

You might want to check out Silversea.  I just tried them for the first time in August and I liked them.  I posted a comparison of Silversea Veranda vs. a Sky Suite on Celebrity, if you are interested.

Nice review.  Have ever cruised on Seabourne or Regent? 

52 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Quiet.... we don't want to talk publicly about Hyatt Points especially when a direct transfer from Chase is available. We enjoy Mexico but would endorse the newer Hyatt prop in the Dominican Republic also. Happy travels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2023 at 1:21 AM, WonderMan3 said:

I would expect more fees to come in the future and more cutbacks. Things we might see in the next few years:

-Baggage fees. Someone else already mentioned this but I could totally see them modeling on what the airlines do and limiting the number of bags you are allowed to bring onboard then charging fees if you exceed the number or exceed a weight limit. Suites and likely Zenith would get extra bag and weight allowances without fees just like the airlines give more allowances to business/first class and higher level perks program members.

-Cafe Al Bacio charging a la carte pricing for their pastries and dessert items. Maybe keeping some very basic items like a plain croissant as complimentary.

-Mast Grill charging for items. I could see them reverting back to a modified version of this previous failed strategy where they do offer some free items, a very basic hamburger or hot dog, but then charge for a variety of deluxe burgers or dogs or deluxe fries with toppings, etc.

-Charging a la carte pricing for the Spa Cafe. Possibly keeping it a free included feature for Aqua Class.

-Adding fee areas at the buffet like maybe for higher grade cuts of meat at the carving station or grill, or for some deluxe sundaes at the ice cream bar, or some frou frou pizzas with fancy toppings.

-Removing robes from categories below Aqua Class; saves on laundry.

-Offering reserved lounge chairs at the pool for a fee. (Many people might actually like this idea)

-Removing items from the main menus at the specialty restaurants and adding them to the up charge category or possibly shifting the specialties totally over to an a la carte pricing model.

-Charging fees to use the Internet lounge

-Eliminating the welcome glass of sparkling wine

-Charging passengers fees for items bought in port that have to be held by cruise line until end of cruise (alcohol)

-Creating fee driven private lounging areas on the outdoor decks with nicer lounge chairs, maybe included waters, fruit, misters, etc. basically things that cost them basically nothing but they can charge a fee for to use the space

-Charging a fee for priority embarkation/disembarkation, priority luggage delivery to cabin and pick-up at terminal

And that might be just the beginning…

Don't give them the ideas! 😂

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Nice review.  Have ever cruised on Seabourne or Regent? 

No.  In the luxury / luxury lite, I have done Windstar - loved it, Oceania - not my cup of tea, and Azamara - loved it, but it was before they were bought (from RCL).

Vikki

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

I like both, as a previous poster mentioned getting out of the midwest for a Winter Escape is often mostly about the sunshine and a palm tree. I am sure you can relate being from NJ?  Now when vacation planning for Europe or Alaska, clearly AI is not an option! 😁

Patty 

not exactly!!

Just now, jean87510 said:

not exactly!!

Not Exactly? 

As a former Jersey girl, I guess I shouldn't assume you'd want a beach escape in winter.

I was only trying to explain our AI chatter was related to a beach escape during winter not actually traveling for a cultural experience. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Can't you opt out of the email promos or google how to set up an email filter to move them to a junk folder?  To be fair, they are called "Offers" not "Sales"

image.png.d5c19bbcec86f44b9efaccd5e4227234.png

Yes I could definitely opt out.  However some of the "offers" are actually worth having.  For example, there was recently 35% of shore excursions so I was able to cancel and rebook shore excursions for an upcoming cruise and saved $$.  So I want to keep getting the emails...I just wish the "offers" were always something worth having, and that the frequency of the emails was less. 

1 minute ago, bebe08 said:

Yes I could definitely opt out.  However some of the "offers" are actually worth having.  For example, there was recently 35% of shore excursions so I was able to cancel and rebook shore excursions for an upcoming cruise and saved $$.  So I want to keep getting the emails...I just wish the "offers" were always something worth having, and that the frequency of the emails was less. 

Makes sense...Those were end of year "let's increase our year end revenue" sales...They may offer them at the end of the quarter as well

26 minutes ago, stellarose said:

confused? so I don't get the Classic package/ wifi and gratuities for next summer?

Yes you get the same package but it’s not all inclusive anymore with having to pay room service fees and who knows what else is coming. 

27 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Not Exactly? 

As a former Jersey girl, I guess I shouldn't assume you'd want a beach escape in winter.

I was only trying to explain our AI chatter was related to a beach escape during winter not actually traveling for a cultural experience. 

no.  Sorry for the confusion.  I was saying not exactly to this - Now when vacation planning for Europe or Alaska, clearly AI is not an option! -  As in no, an AI is "not exactly" an option in Europe or Alaska.  

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

no.  Sorry for the confusion.  I was saying not exactly to this - Now when vacation planning for Europe or Alaska, clearly AI is not an option! -  As in no, an AI is "not exactly" an option in Europe or Alaska.  

Gotcha!!! 😊

10 minutes ago, chamima said:

Yes you get the same package but it’s not all inclusive anymore with having to pay room service fees and who knows what else is coming. 

You do realize that is was never All Inclusive?  The All included is in reference to a drink package, standard gratuities, and WiFI.

I do agree that the list of what is not included as gotten a little longer.

• Like 4

Does anyone think they could re-add free room service later as part of higher level perk for a revamped Captain's Club offering? Maybe like E+ and above get room service fees waived? I could see that as a way to not alienate their most loyal customers...

• Like 3