What happens when the ship can't get back

richbum

We are cruising out of Tampa this weekend...I am seeing that the ships are not able to get into Port because of the fog this week...What happens if you have a flight the afternoon that you are supposed to get off...We have Carnival Insurance.....

22 minutes ago, richbum said:

We are cruising out of Tampa this weekend...I am seeing that the ships are not able to get into Port because of the fog this week...What happens if you have a flight the afternoon that you are supposed to get off...We have Carnival Insurance.....

Not sure what you mean by "What Happens?"

What are the Trip Delay terms in your insurance? What are the Definitions of Trip Delay, Missed flights? etc. Are the claims paid out on a fixed basis or paid out based on a percentage of Trip Costs?

This is all information that you will find in your policy. If you can't find your policy, a quick Google search will help.

• Like 1

If it was Carnivals fault you might have a chance of being compensated in someway. But since this is weather related and not Carnival’s fault, just like the airlines, it will be up to you to rebook airfare and possibly find a hotel if needed unless you booked your return flight with them. 

13 minutes ago, richbum said:

Thank you everyone...I'll check with my pvp and see if the policy covers it...and if not...Have a back up plan if we can't get back in time. 

Hmmm. . . That's a good question.  I think my backup plan is to stay on the Pride for 8 more days!  😁     

See you guys in 4 days, 20 hours and 35 minutes.   Dave 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, richbum said:

Thank you everyone...I'll check with my pvp and see if the policy covers it...and if not...Have a back up plan if we can't get back in time. 

The concern I have is that very rarely do PVP's or many TA's have a clue what is in the insurance that they sell. (That's right, SELL. They get a commission on it.) Your policy that you bought from Carnival has nothing to do with Carnival other than they sold it. Your policy is administered by AON.

Your PVP might give you bad advice and if they are mistaken in what they tell you, you have no leg to stand on. The only thing that is important is what is written in the policy.

Again, find your policy and read it. Not the marketing brochure, the actual policy itself.

It can be very eye opening between what you "think is or is not covered, and what is actually covered. I know it was for me the first time I started adulting and buying travel insurance. I learned alot just by reading threads in the insurance board here on Cruise Critic.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

We were once delayed 2 days getting back to Fort Lauderdale due to a hurricane. Obviously, the airlines were also not flying when our flight back was supposed to be, so they had to rebook us. We were lucky as there were many flights on to our destination, so we were able to get on a standby flight. While we were waiting, I did call the insurance company and was told if we did not get a flight back that day to save all receipts, taxi, meals, hotel.

I know some did not get back because you could hear the passengers screaming at the poor airline employees who were powerless to get them on flights to destinations without multiple flights.

• Like 1

I was once on the Vista when we were delayed like 12 hours getting back into port. People were calling and rescheduling their flights from the ship. This was before Covid, though, so I suspect rescheduling a flight was a bit easier.  I once had to reschedule a flight due to a sick kid and the airlines just charged me a fee. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

If the ships can’t get in, planes probably can’t get out. Or at least it will domino the rest of the day. My sibling works for southwest and I’m guessing this is why my sibling is working late tonight.

Sea fog doesn't affect TPA

• Like 1

Flip the coin and passengers who flew in and are waiting to take the next cruise can have it as bad or even worse.

You fly in early and get a hotel. It doesn't matter how you planned to get to the ship the hotel says the morning of the cruise your stay is over and it 10am leaving time so get off the property now-period. If you say we bought a shuttle pass with the hotel can answer we will run the shuttle runs from noon-2pm and we will take you but don't care if ship is there or not and must drop you off.

Happened to me on a CCL cruise out of Jacksonville. Luckily i was on the 2nd half of a b2b. 

Did you know in the port of Jacksonville they can have traffic jams so long even at night you can't see the end of the traffic jam from the top deck?

17 hours ago, Ptown said:

Hmmm. . . That's a good question.  I think my backup plan is to stay on the Pride for 8 more days!  😁     

See you guys in 4 days, 20 hours and 35 minutes.   Dave 😎

My PVP said that the carnival ins doesn't cover it....since we are flying Allegiant...they don't fly again from PIE airport until Thursday...so I looked at Orlando Sanford...and they fly out on Monday...so as of now...that is our back up plan...I watched yesterday and the ships didn't get in until after 4....and our flight is scheduled for 2:30....

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Be sure your return flight time is after Carnival's flight recommendations.  That is the first thing they check.  If Carnival's says to book flights after 12 noon and your flight was at 11 am, they may disallow the claim.

It is scheduled for 2:30....