Jewel Of The Seas

Going on a 14 cruise on the Jewel starting Jan. 6th (in 3 days ) does anyone have any questions about entertainment, food, or just about anything I will be HAPPY to ans. them when we get back on Jan. 20th.

george35

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I'm envious, loved that ship. 

If you see Marsha (bartender) tell her hello from Janis and David from the October T/A. She is absolutely great as is the whole staff. Have a great two weeks!!!

Which bar?  We'll look for her.

We just got off a 13 night b2b on Nov 19.  Really like the ship a lot.  Very clean, but the MDR food was just okay.  Some of the items on the menu were different than on other ships.  Let us know what you think.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

We just got off a 13 night b2b on Nov 19.  Really like the ship a lot.  Very clean, but the MDR food was just okay.  Some of the items on the menu were different than on other ships.  Let us know what you think.

Was it the “new” menu or just a different interpretation to the usual?

15 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Was it the “new” menu or just a different interpretation to the usual?

No, just the regular old menu.   The only ship that has had the new menu so far is Symphony.  Expecting roll out to the fleet this year, but no one knows when it'll start.  We were on the first two sailings after the return from Europe.  Apple blossom was bad apple pie, maple syrup wasn't really maple syrup.  Burgers were thin and hot dogs weren't really hot dogs (english sausage is all we could figure out) breakfast sausage wasn't what we've had on every other ship.  Strip steak was fatty and gristly (chef agreed and said they cook what they are given and aren't happy with it)  We thought it had to do with leftover supplies from Europe but it was both cruises.  Just a lot of differences from our other cruises since restart.   We met a chef from FL and he said the food distributors that RCI used to use in FL went out of business and they had to go with another one and it's not the quality it should be.

Edited by BND

32 minutes ago, BND said:

No, just the regular old menu.   The only ship that has had the new menu so far is Symphony.  Expecting roll out to the fleet this year, but no one knows when it'll start.  We were on the first two sailings after the return from Europe.  Apple blossom was bad apple pie, maple syrup wasn't really maple syrup.  Burgers were thin and hot dogs weren't really hot dogs (english sausage is all we could figure out) breakfast sausage wasn't what we've had on every other ship.  Strip steak was fatty and gristly (chef agreed and said they cook what they are given and aren't happy with it)  We thought it had to do with leftover supplies from Europe but it was both cruises.  Just a lot of differences from our other cruises since restart.   We met a chef from FL and he said the food distributors that RCI used to use in FL went out of business and they had to go with another one and it's not the quality it should be.

Oh OK.

Adjustments are always to be expected after repositionings. - just ask the folks in Texas when new ships come to Galveston!  Hopefully they have new suppliers now and things have improved. 

The reaction to the new menu has been the same as the reaction to new menus has been for years. Everyone wants a change, until it happens, but somehow we survive and move on.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 3:31 PM, george35 said:

Going on a 14 cruise on the Jewel starting Jan. 6th (in 3 days ) does anyone have any questions about entertainment, food, or just about anything I will be HAPPY to ans. them when we get back on Jan. 20th.

george35

We just booked last night for a sailing on her March 3rd.  First time sailing since 2019! We have sailed Brilliance many times and love her. Will be first time on Jewel. Would love to hear how food ends up being in MDR. Also, could you see what kind of beers are available on board?  Are you doing any specialty dining? 

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

No, he and Laura were doing just the one cruise...to celebrate NYE.  He will be departing just before we board.  

If the Panini maker is working in the WJ, it is a must do for lunch...

The eggs benedict in WJ every morning were a nice touch as well.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If the Panini maker is working in the WJ, it is a must do for lunch...

The eggs benedict in WJ every morning were a nice touch as well.

We really liked the WJ on Jewel.  Much better layout than Vision class.  I will say, one morning I grabbed a smoothie only to find out it was made from cantaloupe.   Eww lol.   Otherwise, the food we had in there was for the most part better than the MDR.   We didn't have lunch there and never saw the Panini maker.  

3 hours ago, BND said:

We really liked the WJ on Jewel.  Much better layout than Vision class.  I will say, one morning I grabbed a smoothie only to find out it was made from cantaloupe.   Eww lol.   Otherwise, the food we had in there was for the most part better than the MDR.   We didn't have lunch there and never saw the Panini maker.  

Panini station was in the center. There was only one specific sandwich they were making each day. Some of them were delicious, likely because it was so fresh and hot. 
m

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Panini station was in the center. There was only one specific sandwich they were making each day. Some of them were delicious, likely because it was so fresh and hot. 
m

Yes, there were paninis every day in the WJ  last week and they were all very good except the Reuben.  There is definitely a difference between sauerkraut and little pieces of boiled cabbage. 

I am curious to see what you all think about the shows.  We loved the cruise otherwise, but thought the shows were weak. We thought City of Dreams was weird, though I would probably give it another try. We usually go to every show (except Invitation to Dance), but we skipped both the juggler/comedian and West End to Broadway this time.  I think our problem is the amount of ballroom dancing, which we just don’t enjoy. 

6 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Yes, there were paninis every day in the WJ  last week and they were all very good except the Reuben.  There is definitely a difference between sauerkraut and little pieces of boiled cabbage. 

I am curious to see what you all think about the shows.  We loved the cruise otherwise, but thought the shows were weak. We thought City of Dreams was weird, though I would probably give it another try. We usually go to every show (except Invitation to Dance), but we skipped both the juggler/comedian and West End to Broadway this time.  I think our problem is the amount of ballroom dancing, which we just don’t enjoy. 

I agree about the shows. I don’t care for a juggler and rarely attend that type of headliner. I liked the other two production shows and find them to be on par with sister ships. Not a huge fan of the invitation to dance type of show. 

m

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I agree about the shows. I don’t care for a juggler and rarely attend that type of headliner. I liked the other two production shows and find them to be on par with sister ships. Not a huge fan of the invitation to dance type of show. 

m

I forgot to mention how much we enjoyed the Beatles tribute band.  They were great. When the curtain went up, it was just like watching them on Ed Sullivan when I was twelve years old.

6 hours ago, jenncren said:

Can someone let me know the main show times so that I can plan dinner reservations? 

I had it most every day on jewel in December. I liked it very much. I mostly got a latte or cappuccino with nothing extra.   They did a great job, the coffee was smooth, and hot.

The baristas seem to remember everyone’s coffee choices 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1