What if there is a Flight delay?

janieb1962

Hi

We are flying from Manchester to Venice and we have flights booked via Seabourn .. our travel agent has flagged that the layover (1.5 hours) at Paris Charles de Gaulle is a bit tight to connect with our onward flight as changing terminal takes 30-40 minutes. What would happen if we missed that connecting flight to Venice due to flight delay… would the ship wait? 

Edited by janieb1962
Clearer subject title

1 minute ago, janieb1962 said:

Hi

We are flying from Manchester to Venice and we have flights booked via Seabourn .. our travel agent has flagged that the layover (1.5 hours) at Paris Charles de Gaulle is a bit tight to connect with our onward flight as changing terminal takes 30-40 minutes. What would happen if we missed that connecting flight to Venice due to flight delay… would the ship wait? 

Always fly at least a day ahead of embarkation.  We fly several days ahead and enjoy the embarkation port.  

• Like 3

• janieb1962 changed the title to What if there is a Flight delay?
8 minutes ago, janieb1962 said:

Flights were included in our fare for the cruise our TA has come back with alternative outward flight requiring overnight accommodation which seems to be costing almost 15% of the total cruise cost 😒

Find a less expensive hotel.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, janieb1962 said:

Flights were included in our fare for the cruise our TA has come back with alternative outward flight requiring overnight accommodation which seems to be costing almost 15% of the total cruise cost 😒

Your TA is ripping you off on the hotel.  The most convenient hotel is the Sheraton, which is directly connected to the T2 complex.  Rates are usually in the $200 to $250 range.  There are a number of other hotels that are not directly connected, but are quite convenient and are on the airport grounds.  Those should run between $100 and $175 per night.

And in answer to your first question....no, the ship won't wait for you.

• Like 1

CDG can be a nightmare particularly as flights from Manchester are often delayed.
Is the overnight accommodation needed in Venice ?
If so we always stay in Mestre across from the train station.

Mestre is a suburb of Venice on the mainline straight into Venice itself .There are plenty of reasonable hotels.

I would research both other flights and accommodation and give your  TA a choice making it clear you have researched prices. That way everyone knows the expectations.

32 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

CDG can be a nightmare particularly as flights from Manchester are often delayed.
Is the overnight accommodation needed in Venice ?
If so we always stay in Mestre across from the train station.

Mestre is a suburb of Venice on the mainline straight into Venice itself .There are plenty of reasonable hotels.

I would research both other flights and accommodation and give your  TA a choice making it clear you have researched prices. That way everyone knows the expectations.

Thanks Welshfamily. Yes accommodation is in Venice .  Thanks for the advice I’ll go back to TA with suggestions and options.

We did a Connection once in CDG.  I think it was 1.5 hours. No one spoke English. No one was helpful. We got to the gate as the lights were flashing. We took our seats and the doors closed. Never again. This was pre pandemic when things were normal. 

Edited by wesport

The Crown Plaza in Maestra is a great hotel and either express to Santa Lucia station or one stop on the train.  I have stayed there many times pre/post if I wanted to save a little dosh.  I have of course stayed in Venice itself but the prices are insane.

If you have booked flights with Seabourn, but have not yet paid in full,  why not try contacting seabourn air and ask them to book you on a later connecting flight from CDG ( I am assuming there are plenty of flights from CDG to Venice throughout the day), or an earlier flight out of Manchester, either way it will give you more time to make the connection.

No direct flights to Venice other than Jet2 from Manchester and they do not fly everyday.

We have travelled with KLM, Lufthansa and British Airways always via a hub, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Heathrow. Nothing to choose between them in my opinion. 
This is an issue we have every time we fly to Europe.

We now fly a few days before hand and explore. This cuts away the stress and we have had some interesting times in European airports. It is amazing how much fun you can have in an airport when you have all day to travel. 
Now if only we didn’t have to go through passport control again and again thanks to Brexit😁😁

• Like 3

Thanks all for you comments and advice . We have now opted for flights the day before with Lufthansa Manchester to Venice via Frankfurt  (not my favourite airline) but timings are better . We will stay overnight at an airport hotel (at our cost obvs ) and make the usual transfer from there to the port the next day. A good solution all in all 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, janieb1962 said:

Thanks all for you comments and advice . We have now opted for flights the day before with Lufthansa Manchester to Venice via Frankfurt  (not my favourite airline) but timings are better . We will stay overnight at an airport hotel (at our cost obvs ) and make the usual transfer from there to the port the next day. A good solution all in all 

The Marriott Courtyard is relatively inexpensive and right at the Venice Airport.  We are using it before our May cruise.

• Like 1

1. Time, tide, and ships wait for no one.

2. CDG is on my list of the most unpleasant and difficult airports and is to be avoided if humanly possible.

3. Not really surprising they don't speak English because it's France. They have a different word for everything.

4. Staying IN Venice will cost more. But then it IS Venice and you might want to experience it. Although expect crowds, maybe lots of crowds. The connection by water to and from the airport can be time-consuming.

• Like 1