Royal up offer 3 days prior , is there such thing as bad suite location .

Is there such a thing as a bad location for a jr or grande suite on explorer? Noise would be my big issue. I have never been tempted before , but 140 and 175 pp sounds pretty low. Never stayed in a suite.

Edited by budmeister

21 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I’ll take a suite in a bad location over a balcony in a better location any day….

Depends on the ship.  On suite class ships I might be inclined.   On the other ships the benefits aren’t much other than bigger room.  But if the locations is poor (under the pool deck) I’m not sure I’d want it. 

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, topnole said:

Depends on the ship.  On suite class ships I might be inclined.   On the other ships the benefits aren’t much other than bigger room.  But if the locations is poor (under the pool deck) I’m not sure I’d want it. 

Under the pool deck would have been my thought too. 

• Like 1

IMO - no.  Any suite - any time for me

Sounds like we are sailing together on Sat?  

coincidentally, I just got an upgrade today for JS to GS.  GS is more forward but not a problem.

Some don’t like being under the pool deck but we’ve been on that deck for just about every cruise we’ve been on with no issues ever.

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, kelbell said:

Have never bid, thinking of it how long does it take for them to

accept or deny your bid? We are 45 days out.

We had an acceptance last month  2 days prior to the cruise.  All others were declined and we received an email in the evening. I've been told that the chances of getting  a royal up once on board is somewhere between slim and none.   

M

Hi all,

I am all in favour of being able to get a better room than the one I booked or the one assigned by paying a bit extra, however there are 2 major downfalls to the current Royal Up program...

1) not being able to choose your room beforehand.

2) not being able to cancel the new room and stay where you are once the royal up is accepted.

Now, I cannot speak for everyone here, but I can speak for both myself and my wife, and this may apply to others too, so...

Whenever we book a room on a RCL ship we first look at what class of ship it is and look at the plans of the layout in order to choose a room that is in the right location for what we want/need.

What we want is a room that will be quiet at night and not prone to much movement.

Therefore we will normally have a interior room towards the stern (but not at the stern) and with at least 1 floor of cabins above and below us to block out any noises.

As to noises, this means not being below the main dinning room or below the running track (yes people do get up at 5am for a jog, and fair enough, that's their choice!), and not above the theatre or pub, also not too close to the lifts (due to people talking too loud), but close enough to the lifts if needed.

Both of us are in our 50s and although I consider myself fairly fit (except for my big belly!), my wife is not a well person and suffers a lot. This is why we cruise, so that everything she needs is fairly nearby if she needs to rest. 

We go for the mid/back so getting to the dinning room is easy. If the aft lifts are busy we can take the stairs down. Again we can climb a few levels too to get up to the pool. The longest distance is to the theatre which we would only go to possibly once a day, whereas we may go to the dinning room 3 times a day depending if it is a sea day etc.

So, for us, here comes the BIG issue...

What happens when we bid for a balcony but get moved to the very back or very front. The very back means a long walk to the theatre and the very front means a long walk to the dinning room. Although the walk would do me some good and I don't mind, it would sadly result in my wife being out of breath and having to retire early as a result and the day would be ruined. 

Also, what if the room we got moved to is above the pub and entertainment is on till midnight, or next a crew cut-through passage and doors are banging 24/7. Or under some equipment that starts emitting a loud noise at 5am.

These are all things we have had in the past and now do our best to avoid. Yet the Royal Up program could potentially put us right in these locations and we would be paying for it? Right?

In our circumstances, this type of program is not for us, I know anyone with similar issues will probably feel the same and others won't care where they go if the room is bigger and/or better.

What I believe would be a much better option here would be for Royal to offer the chance to bid on a better room that has not been taken before the cruise and let us see where that room is before accepting, or to at least be able to choose the room that become available on the first day if some person/family cannot board, so you know in advance where you are moving to and to give you the choice of whether to move from your original room or not. Currently there is no choice. You can only cancel the upgrade before being given the new room.

We look forward to our 2 cruises a year and plan them very carefully as we want to enjoy our time on board doing as much as we can and this does not include standing in the long lines at guest services for hours on end moaning about the room. This is exactly what you possibly risk with the current program unless you really don't care about the location of your room or/and any noise that is near it.

Hope this helps

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

It happens. 

There is a JS on Q class that is known for hearing the sound of water flushing down a pipe.  People complain their neighbor must be "...taking a shower every five minutes".   I avoid this cabin. 

The forward most loft suites on the original O class have smaller balconies.  Go figure, I won one in a RU.  I can confirm the balcony is smaller.  Suite was great, balcony as a solo was fine but given a choice I would have moved.

On some older ships there can be support poles in the cabin.  Not an end of the world problem but there is a reason why that suite was empty.  

If you are good or lucky at RU the downsides can be dismissed on the promise of saving lots of money.  If you end up paying full rate for a RU that is a different story.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The forward most loft suites on the original O class have smaller balconies.  Go figure, I won one in a RU. 

Happened to us as well (twice) - on the first one we received the email 3 days before the cruise. Went out to their booking site and saw that there were other CLS still available further down the side of the ship so called and managed to get moved a few doors down to one with a better balcony.

On the other one, we were assigned the CLS dead center in the back overlooking the boardwalk. On their site the only one that was still available was the one all the way forward on the starboard side. We took that one even with the smaller balcony.

Edited by orville99

5 hours ago, Mick B said:

What I believe would be a much better option here would be for Royal to offer the chance to bid on a better room that has not been taken before the cruise and let us see where that room is before accepting, or to at least be able to choose the room that become available on the first day if some person/family cannot board, so you know in advance where you are moving to and to give you the choice of whether to move from your original room or not. Currently there is no choice. You can only cancel the upgrade before being given the new room.

Royal Caribbean offers you the option of choosing the room type and location that you want when you initially book your room.  

I believe you answered your own question when you said "In our circumstances, this type of program is not for us,"  

Remember this program is for the majority and while I am sympathetic to your circumstances, it just does not seem feasible for Royal Caribbean, or any other cruise line for that matter, to manage an upgrade program in this manner.   

Consider, you win a Royal up bid, but the room is not to your liking so you cancel.  By winning the bid, you have prevented someone else who may have been okay with the room from getting it.  It is not practical to manage a program in the manner you propose on a scale of 2,000 - 5,000 guest. 

Which JS in Q class is the one with sounds of running water?  I did a RU bid and if we are lucky enough for it to be accepted would like to avoid that room if possible.  This is my husbands 50th birthday cruise and the change in room would be a surprise  and I would like it to be a good one if possible.