Cruise Terminal Porters

Scotico

1 hour ago, topnole said:

They do more than load load luggage on cruise ships.  They work cargo ships or any other ships in that port.   It can be a pretty dangerous job.  

I’ll suggest that cruise terminal porters do not load or offload cargo ships.  

1 minute ago, Longford said:

Cruise lines, airlines have … for ever so long advised passengers to keep prescription medications and valuables in carry-on only.  It’s advice I follow.  Also, all checked luggage should be locked, to minimize the risks of pilfering and theft.

My luggage was locked, and the lock had obviously been tampered with. Jewelry and money always in my tote bag, but now my meds, too. It was no big loss:  I just replaced the medications.  I don't take anything that anyone else would be interested in.

Just now, pcur said:

I just replaced the medications.  

Unless a ship’s medical facility has the particular medications for you, it may be difficult or impossible to replace prescription medication at some or many ports of call.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longford said:

I’ll suggest that cruise terminal porters do not load or offload cargo ships.  

Actually, the cruise terminal longshoremen are typically the most senior ones in the port, as the pay is good (tips) and the work is light.  But, there are no cruise ships in port every day at many ports, so these men will work cargo ships on days there are no cruise ships, or do you think they only work part time?  As for being a dangerous job as the other poster stated, as someone who has dealt with longshoremen for 46 years, while it was dangerous when I started out, it has become quite safe, but some of the junior workers will have to work in all kinds of weather.  It is far more automated than it was 40+ years ago.

I won't get into the discussion about tipping or not, but I will clear up a lot of misconceptions about the porters work.  While the porter that takes your bag at the curb only handles your bag once, the bag is handled several times before it gets on the ship.  The ship does not scan the bags onboard, they do not have the space or equipment to do this.  The bags are placed on a trolley (whether the same type as the ship's trolleys or not), and then taken into the terminal, where they are taken off the trolley, sent through the scanner, and then placed on a ship's trolley.  This trolley is then taken by forklift to the ship's side and loaded onboard.  The ship barely has enough space to store the trolleys as they are loaded, let alone take all the bags off and send through a scanner and then reload for distribution to the various decks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longford said:

I think the pay scale varies by port.

While this is true, every longshoreman in every port in the US are members of one of two unions, which set pretty high wage and fairly consistent levels, regardless of the port.  What varies more by port is the number of jobs available, and the number of hours available.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Longford said:

Unless a ship’s medical facility has the particular medications for you, it may be difficult or impossible to replace prescription medication at some or many ports of call.

It's the Oakland airport I'm referring to, and it happened with my meds once on the way home.  So, I easily replaced them.  After that incident, I take them in my carry-on tote bag.

But, I've had other miscellaneous items taken, or my bag obviously rummaged through on other occasions.  The weirdest was when a crown popped off a tooth the last day of a cruise.  It was in my checked bag, which had been opened.  I figure someone was using a metal detector looking for jewelry, and the metal in the crown set it off.  Well, obviously they did NOT want that.

I’m a newbie to cruising, but have a career in hotel management and the service industry.  My recent first cruise (just me) was out of Tampa.  I brought a large duffle-type bag on wheels, a small backpack-type carry-on and shipping bag with two bottles of wine.  I didn’t use a porter, brought my checked luggage to the check-in and handed it over, and kept the carry-on and wine with me.  When leaving the ship I used a porter who brought my large bag and carry-on through Immigration, to my car in the adjacent lot and placed them in my car.  I gave him $10.

12 minutes ago, Longford said:

Why, when you ask some to do what you’re not willing to do yourself? 

Sorry, I am notvtipping someone to lift my bag from a curb less than 3 feet to set it on a cart.  When we use the porters at the end of the cruise and they take our luggage to the car they do get tipped.  It's all about the service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry, I am notvtipping someone to lift my bag from a curb less than 3 feet to set it on a cart.  When we use the porters at the end of the cruise and they take our luggage to the car they do get tipped.  It's all about the service. 

LOL!

17 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I saw a Royal shuttle bus driver intentionally leave off a woman’s luggage at the Miami port to airport ride once. She kept arguing with him until he finally told her to get on the bus and I saw him push her bag to the side and close up the cargo doors. 
She didn’t have luggage when we got to the airport. 

So you witnessed a crime and didn’t report it???

• Like 1

In Seattle, the porters who take your bags are union Longshore.  Sometimes its the older guys, or it could be the newer union members, both young men and women trying to get as many hours as possible to work their way up the seniority chain.  The longshore porters in Seattle are assigned to a particular ship, so say on a given Saturday, a longshore porter assigned to Princess will not take a HAL bag - they will tell you to look for another porter (usually in a different color safety vest).

I have never seen a longshore hassle a passenger for tips - the foreman would never tolerate it.  All luggage collected is taken into the luggage hall and put thru a security scan.  At that point it is loaded into a metal cage and lifted onto the ship.  It is accurate that towards the end of the day, any piece of luggage either outside or inside the luggage hall would stand out like a sore thumb.  There are a variety of pier side workers, transportation, security, pier agents who would flag any piece of luggage that was just left some where.  I, myself have called for the bomb dog to check a piece of luggage that somehow got left in the middle of the walkway.  Once cleared by the dog, longshore came and brought it into the luggage hall.

Personally, when I give my luggage to a porter, I wait long enough to make sure it was place on their cart/trolley.  I would also just verify that the luggage was headed to the correct ship.  I do tip, as it is hard work, and I appreciate their service.  If I wasn't using longshore/porter service, I would gladly drop my luggage off at the designated luggage collection site. 

It's easy to look at a salary and think the person doesn't need a tip, but I don't think a lot of these workers are going to last 40 years doing this type of labor. You are only lifting your own bags, imagine doing that all day? No thanks. I give $10 if it's just me with one bag, up to $40 if we're rolling up like the Beverly Hillbillies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Can someone post a job description for a longshoreman that includes duties and pay.

As these are unionized jobs, job descriptions and pay scales are generally not public information.  Here is an article that takes data from the West Coast union itself, and is 7 years old:

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/dock-workers-union-demands-hurt-consumers/

Here's another article that states that over 200 longshoremen in NY/NJ make more than $400k, and the top earners $600k.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-international-longshoremens-association-waterfront-racial-segregation-20220321-mfw36ebtcfdxnnuqlroo7cjqxu-story.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shellunderwater said:

I'm 15 cruises in... tip varying amounts up to about $5 a bag.  Never had a bag lost. 

I'm sure it happens.  I just don't think there is some nefarious scheme to screw with your luggage. Given comments on these boards, I'm sure many don't tip at all and port lost bags hasn't been a major issue on these boards.

I've never seen a porter go crazy for tips. And rarely is a lost bag a problem so it doesn't warrant developing a complex system to fix a largely non-existent problem.

Time to move on to more important topics...like robes in the main dining room.🤪

I tip nothing per bag, and always got my bags.  

• Like 2

Suggesting porters and longshoremen are one in the same and some earn more than $400k a year is laughable; disingenuous.  Even if there are terminals that use porters who are unionized, unions include work groups/units where pay scales are unequal. Not all ports or terminals use porters who are unionized.  Unless there's been a change in the past year or two, Disney hasn't ever used a company that provides its porters who has a contract with a union at Port Canaveral.  There maybe similar situations elsewhere.  As for individuals who ask porters to assist them and then stiff them when it comes to tips, one words will describe those individuals:  stingy. People will spend thousands of dollars cruising, tip ships crew yet not tip someone who helps them with heavy luggage they won't lift themselves.  Ok, rant over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We sail mostly from Cape Liberty. 

Pull to the curb, hand a tip to the porter who directed us to his spot on the curb.

The luggage is pulled from the hatch and we are on our way to the garage.

Now if there are a few hundred people who are in line and need to be directed to the curb and a luggage tram especially first timers at Bayonne.

Once they find an empty place to pull over they have to get out of their car and pull out their luggage.

They have to find a tram that isn't full and where they may have to lift their luggage 4 feet or more on top of the pile.

Then there are a few who need tags (many posters always say GET THEM FROM A PORTER).

Then some less able bodied have to wait for someone to help them with the bags.

the carts are full and luggage has fallen on the ground.

Multiply all those MURPHY'S LAW problems by several hundred and the line to baggage drop off become hell on earth.

To me spending a few bucks to avoid sitting in my car watching chaos at the drop off is more than worth it.

ps. And remember those windy, rainy and snowy days looking for a place to pull over and then find a cart with room.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

It's easy to look at a salary and think the person doesn't need a tip, but I don't think a lot of these workers are going to last 40 years doing this type of labor. You are only lifting your own bags, imagine doing that all day? No thanks. I give $10 if it's just me with one bag, up to $40 if we're rolling up like the Beverly Hillbillies. 

EXACTLY THIS!!

My deceased husband was a very highly certified mechanic.  He always told me "you don't see any old mechanics".  Anyone who works in a profession requiring heavy lifting, repetitive hand, arm, leg motions, gets joint and/or arthritis issues earlier than the average person.  My husband (at my insistence) retired at age 52. 

On a personal note:  I greatly appreciate someone helping me with my luggage, and they get tipped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Longford said:

Suggesting porters and longshoremen are one in the same and some earn more than $400k a year is laughable; disingenuous.  Even if there are terminals that use porters who are unionized, unions include work groups/units where pay scales are unequal. Not all ports or terminals use porters who are unionized.  Unless there's been a change in the past year or two, Disney hasn't ever used a company that provides its porters who has a contract with a union at Port Canaveral.  There maybe similar situations elsewhere.  As for individuals who ask porters to assist them and then stiff them when it comes to tips, one words will describe those individuals:  stingy. People will spend thousands of dollars cruising, tip ships crew yet not tip someone who helps them with heavy luggage they won't lift themselves.  Ok, rant over.

Sorry, but any public pier (owned by the city, county, or state), whether leased to another entity, anywhere in the US uses unionized longshoremen.  This has been this way for decades.  Only companies that actually own their own piers (like refineries) can get away without unionized labor.  As such, anything that is transported over the pier (from a truck, car, or bus to a ship, or vice versa), must be handled by a union longshoreman, or a strike would result (as it has in the past, many times).  Again, I have worked with longshoremen for decades, including when working cruise ships, and they are all unionized members of the longshore union.  One aspect of unions that many may not understand is that they stand for equal pay for equal jobs.  Whether you are moving shipping containers on/off a ship, or slinging baggage for a cruise ship, you are merely a member of a longshore team that works a dock, and as such, you get the same pay.  Now, whether or not there is seniority pay (and believe me, there is) is another base belief of unions, and as I noted, the senior longshoremen tend to take the cruise ship jobs as they are easy work, just a few hours work for an entire shift's pay, and are mostly indoors.  Port Canaveral is unionized under the ILA.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

It's easy to look at a salary and think the person doesn't need a tip, but I don't think a lot of these workers are going to last 40 years doing this type of labor.

Except that most longshore contracts stipulate a full pension after only 20 years.  And, from what I recall, if they work more than 8 hours a day, they get more than one day's credit towards pension, so the 20 years is usually less than 20 years.

• Haha 1

Disembarking at PC there was a loudspeaker announcement telling us that porters are happy to carry your bags and are paid by the port and do not need to be tipped!

I still tipped but only $5

Think there are a few paranoid people on this thread though! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Longford said:

Good luck walking onto a public pier in this country without your union card in hand. Kinda like showing up to drive the trash truck in NYC without having your Teamsters paperwork up to snuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Scotico said:

So our friends just returned from their cruise and one of their bags never made it on the ship after handing it to the porters.  The only way they can tell it did not make it is because they had an apple airtag and they could see it still in the terminal after the ship was at sea.  Has anyone ever done this and have any of you ever opted to skip the porters and bring your luggage on-board.  I heard stories about them getting greedy with the tips and requesting more $$ for the bags (my friend told me they gave them $10 for 3 bags and they were wanting more.

When I went on a cruise from Miami, the porter was very aggressive about a tip.  I didn't understand I had to tip.  Or should tip.  And I didn't.  When I got in the terminal I asked the lady if I was to leave my luggage with the people outside.  She said yes.  I was very concerned my luggage wouldn't make it to my room.  

It was a very confusing situation and crowded and I was totally unaware that I was supposed to tip and I didn't like the aggressiveness of the porter.

• Like 1