Feedback on Britannia restaurant open dining

Host Hattie

So sorry to hear that, you're in a worse position than we are. We haven't had any explanation of how the allocations are made either. 

I hope you can get a satisfactory resolution or at least a table in the same area.

• Like 2

Thanks Pear Carr & Hattie. I’m pretty sure the ship is full and don’t expect we’ll be offered a change but it would be nice to receive an explanation. I will let you know if we do! 

• Like 1

On the Victoria's world cruise this year there were a number of people who had been confirmed for fixed dining only to find they'd been shifted to open seating. The reason for the switch, as I understood it, was that more people asked for fixed dining than could be accommodated - which to me sounded like a good argument for increasing the numbers of tables allocated to fixed dining. Anyway, as far as I know, there was no explanation ever given to the people who were switched as to why they were chosen. I'm puzzled by the whole process, to be honest. Cunard is obviously and understandably going through some issues restarting its cruising schedule, from staff shortages to increased costs to supply chain problems. Why the company would choose this moment to introduce open dining, something they have no experience handling, is beyond me.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Patria21 said:

On the Victoria's world cruise this year there were a number of people who had been confirmed for fixed dining only to find they'd been shifted to open seating. The reason for the switch, as I understood it, was that more people asked for fixed dining than could be accommodated - which to me sounded like a good argument for increasing the numbers of tables allocated to fixed dining. Anyway, as far as I know, there was no explanation ever given to the people who were switched as to why they were chosen. I'm puzzled by the whole process, to be honest. Cunard is obviously and understandably going through some issues restarting its cruising schedule, from staff shortages to increased costs to supply chain problems. Why the company would choose this moment to introduce open dining, something they have no experience handling, is beyond me.

Left QV on Sunday, and some tables on the lower level of the MDR were used for the first sitting of fixed dining, presumably due to more people wanting early fixed dining that could be accomadated on the upper level, so some accommodations can be made 

• Like 1

I said I would feedback about my quest to change to late sitting - well, I can report it has been successful! Yesterday, when we arrived for dinner in the Verandah, the Britannia Maitre’D had left a note to say we had a table for 2 on late sitting from tonight. 

It was the end of a row of 3 & no one was in the middle. We have very good wait staff & knowledgeable sommelier. Interestingly, our lead waiter said the table had been used earlier in the voyage for open seating!! No idea why we weren’t just allocated this, or another table on late sitting in the first place, in that case. 

However, polite persistence paid off. If this happens to anyone else, I recommend persevering. It worked for us. 

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, patty3 said:

I hope this is not a silly question.  If we are assigned to early fixed dining in Britannia and decide one night that we want to eat later, can we just show up at open dining?

No it is one or the other you cannot mix at your leisure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Every evening? I suppose only with open seating diners.

Yes indeed , that is what the question above is referring to, however, those on 'Fixed Dinning' ( ie fixed table & wait staff ) just walk in, straight to their table .

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

Yes indeed , that is what the question above is referring to, however, those on 'Fixed Dinning' ( ie fixed table & wait staff ) just walk in, straight to their table .

I’ve read on here that if Grills passengers want to dine in the Britannia, say with friends, it should be OK, and they can just turn up, but that clearly wouldn’t work at dinner.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I’ve read on here that if Grills passengers want to dine in the Britannia, say with friends, it should be OK, and they can just turn up, but that clearly wouldn’t work at dinner.

No, it will still be ok , One just confirms the arrangement/s they will have 'made in advance' . 

In December I arranged for a couple of PG guests/friends to join me one evening in Britannia ( Fixed Dining) the MD arranged ( for that evening) another table from the original  Two Top that I was allocated. 

• Thanks 1

Every time I have used Freedom/Anytime/Open dining on Princess, P&O and Cunard when you turn up to MDR they always ask you your cabin number and check on the computer. So they must be checking what you have booked.

I was on the same voyage as Host Hattie, Anytime dining- or open dining - worked like charme. Made my appointment for the next or the following days via myvoage. Not one minute to wait - always very nice tables. Even when I asked for a really single table- not those with three pairs in a row, it worked great.

• Like 2

That is good to hear they have true table for two without the "neighbors".  I know we are in a minority but when we go to a meal, we are pretty quick eating, and don't chat much except with each other because I can really talk sometimes and the food would get cold and I would lose track of the time ....lol).  We do enjoy the ambiance, etc but meals are not usually the place we choose to chat with others.  That being said, each meal is a new experience and sometimes we adjust our thinking.

Edited by alibabacruisers

1 hour ago, alibabacruisers said:

That is good to hear they have true table for two without the "neighbors".  I know we are in a minority but when we go to a meal, we are pretty quick eating, and don't chat much except with each other because I can really talk sometimes and the food would get cold and I would lose track of the time ....lol).  We do enjoy the ambiance, etc but meals are not usually the place we choose to chat with others.  That being said, each meal is a new experience and sometimes we adjust our thinking.

This is exactly how we feel...but you just said it way better then I've ever do.

Edited by Cruise NH
  • Like 1

Am on QM2 right now, and they are doing fixed dining on Deck 2 and open on Deck 3 - Deck 3 is dark and the waiters don't seem super happy to be there. I'm a bit disappointed - previously on QM2 (last year) I ate open dining on Deck 2 and it was lovely (they had early fixed seating and then open after that), and a few weeks ago on QV they had open dining in the lower area. In the past, I've been asked if I wanted to sit alone or with others, and I do like to mix it up, but they aren't even asking this time around.

Overall, the crew feels glum and a little less welcoming than I expected.

• Like 1

I did open dining on the QE 7-17 July Cruise.

As a frequent solo traveller on P&O I am used to open dining. I also get seated quickly as I am happy to share a table.  The wait is nearly always for couples wanting a table for 2.

I was disappointed to find on QE open dining very rarely had sharing tables at night. As other posters have said sometimes the table for 2 I was allocated enabled me to chat to neighbouring tables.