P and O Experience

Tablelamp

I used to be a frequent cruiser on P and O on Ventura and Azura but have not been since Covid started.  I have a long cruise coming up at the beginning of March and am wondering what changes I might expect.  I understand there are staff shortages and long waits. Could anybody give me some fair observations please.

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I used to be a frequent cruiser on P and O on Ventura and Azura but have not been since Covid started.  I have a long cruise coming up at the beginning of March and am wondering what changes I might expect.  I understand there are staff shortages and long waits. Could anybody give me some fair observations please.

One of the factors that will likely affect your cruise is passenger numbers, when we were on Arcadia the ship was 70% full. We didn't queue for anything, the food was fine albeit less choice. We always went to the early 20:30 show and never had an issue getting seated, we were told that second show was almost empty some nights, bearing in mind this was a 40 night cruise it was predominantly pensioners. Sunbeds and chairs were always available without searching. We hardly ever used the buffet but did get our tea and coffee there when out on deck, we never experienced any queues. There were no issues getting on or off the ship. We did have covid throughout the cruise, no idea how many, three of the people we regularly sat with at dinner got it at various times. I would just go and enjoy yourself as best you can and not worry about all the negative comments too much, I know where I would rather be in March, Oh yes nearly forgot, I will be on a cruise yipeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Like 4

I think the level of satisfaction depends very much on your own level of expectations. Some people are delighted with today’s P&O, but others on the same cruise think it’s awful.

I happen to think Aldi is a great place to shop - others will say it’s the pits. Same level of potential disagreement with anything, particularly in the leisure industry where prices and ‘quality’ vary so much. Plenty of people wouldn’t be seen dead on any kind of mass market cruise!

Personal perception is everything. Only you can really judge.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think the level of satisfaction depends very much on your own level of expectations. Some people are delighted with today’s P&O, but others on the same cruise think it’s awful.

I happen to think Aldi is a great place to shop - others will say it’s the pits. Same level of potential disagreement with anything, particularly in the leisure industry where prices and ‘quality’ vary so much. Plenty of people wouldn’t be seen dead on any kind of mass market cruise!

Personal perception is everything. Only you can really judge.

Totally agree Harry. I am returning to cruising on Aurora in the early summer (first since Dec 2019) and am really looking forward to it. However I am going with my expectations being fairly low and it not being the same as pre C.
But, I will just love being back at sea, not having to cook, laughing with friends and doing exactly what I want, when I want. Can’t wait!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Totally agree Harry. I am returning to cruising on Aurora in the early summer (first since Dec 2019) and am really looking forward to it. However I am going with my expectations being fairly low and it not being the same as pre C.
But, I will just love being back at sea, not having to cook, laughing with friends and doing exactly what I want, when I want. Can’t wait!

Enjoy your Cruise, it's what we make it.

• Like 4

Being a longer cruise, the customer base is likely to comprise a high percentage of 'traditional' P&O cruisers. Hopefully that will mean reasonably good daytime and evening entertainment/activities as there were on Aurora last summer.

Unless they have made further changes, you will probably notice that the menu is structured quite differently. As you have probably read on here, the number of vegetarian/vegan dishes has increased and been included on the main menu. Just depends whether they suit your palate/taste.

I went on Aurora with some trepidation last summer but apart from the food choices, I Really enjoyed the cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Just my opinion, but heres our review of the 35 night Xmas and New Year cruise...it doesn't make good reading I'm afraid! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=694463

Simon

Great review as comparison we were on SAGA a week behind you around the Caribbean paid under £18k all in, by the time you’d have added on a drinks package, internet, excursions and specialty restaurants on P&O there wouldn’t be a great deal of difference and couldn’t fault the cruise at all the only shortage was the last couple of days when there were only 4 cheeses to choose from instead of the usual 10-12

6 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Great review as comparison we were on SAGA a week behind you around the Caribbean paid under £18k all in, by the time you’d have added on a drinks package, internet, excursions and specialty restaurants on P&O there wouldn’t be a great deal of difference and couldn’t fault the cruise at all the only shortage was the last couple of days when there were only 4 cheeses to choose from instead of the usual 10-12

Someone we were talking to on Ventura said how good the new Saga ships were. Said she had done a Greenland cruise from Dover and couldn't fault it. We are in our mid 60's and thought we might be too young(!), but she reckoned the demographic was similar to Ventura (where average age was 74). We might try Saga soon.

Simon

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

How do you mean, the menu is structured differently?

As mentioned, the vegetarian options are included, as are what used to be some of the 'always available'.

Starters, soup & salad seem to be 'lumped together', as are desserts & cheeses.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, pennib said:

We did Azura for 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year 2021 and it was great. Ship obviously not full and there was a quarantine zone for the big C. We were happy.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, pennib said:

We did Azura for 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year 2021 and it was great. Ship obviously not full and there was a quarantine zone for the big C. We were happy.

That’s a relief to read that as we are going on Azura for the first time in March and reading recent reviews has really scared us. So many very negative comments about staff shortages, food, entertainment etc.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, sddsddean said:

Just my opinion, but heres our review of the 35 night Xmas and New Year cruise...it doesn't make good reading I'm afraid! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=694463

Simon

Sorry you had such a poor experience Simon. We will be taking our 3rd P&O cruise in March on Arvia. We’ve seen some poor reviews of the Maiden and can only hope things improve by the time we go. 

16 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Sorry you had such a poor experience Simon. We will be taking our 3rd P&O cruise in March on Arvia. We’ve seen some poor reviews of the Maiden and can only hope things improve by the time we go. 

Hi Elaine

I wouldn't hold your breath! I looked at reviews of all the other ships Xmas cruises and it seened the low standard of food is a common theme. Hope you have a better experience than us!

Simon

PS Say hello to Lysle

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

As mentioned, the vegetarian options are included, as are what used to be some of the 'always available'.

Starters, soup & salad seem to be 'lumped together', as are desserts & cheeses.

They are as you describe. We managed to make this work well on Iona for last 2 weeks. Often ordered a starter and soup as well as a desert and cheese - even though they were on the menu together. Waiters were very happy to be flexible as they were at Chefs Table and in Epicurian.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

They are as you describe. We managed to make this work well on Iona for last 2 weeks. Often ordered a starter and soup as well as a desert and cheese - even though they were on the menu together. Waiters were very happy to be flexible as they were at Chefs Table and in Epicurian.

Yes you are able to order two things from the same part of the menu. The way it is printed is obviously meant to dissuade you from doing this but you can order whatever you like. 

• Like 1

I struggled with the menu some nights but our lovely waiter Harish always organised something either by way of a mix and match approach or one occasion an upgraded version of the pasta from the children's menu!

The food was okay just some of the "mixtures" were odd! Bubble and squeak in all forms including memorably in the form of soup made very many appearances including with roast beef and lamb shank.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I struggled with the menu some nights but our lovely waiter Harish always organised something either by way of a mix and match approach or one occasion an upgraded version of the pasta from the children's menu!

The food was okay just some of the "mixtures" were odd! Bubble and squeak in all forms including memorably in the form of soup made very many appearances including with roast beef and lamb shank.

I love bubble and squeak but probably not in a soup…….!!

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Wot! no green beans? I thought P&O had bought the entire crop of them

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I am very amused by the green beans.  Pre pandemic, our table of eight threatened to storm the ‘Where they keep the food’ area, find all the green beans and throw them overboard.  I see we were not successful.  Wretched things!

• Haha 4