No more prime rib?

kevin1551

5 minutes ago, lhcruzin said:

I was disappointed in the Constellation in December.  Many of the more expensive items were missing from buffet and dining room.  It’s understandable that some changes need to occur due to escalated food prices.  However I found several items that were also just not prepared properly.  Foods overcooked etc.  couldn’t get waffles at breakfast because nobody knew how to make them.   There were also several other issues. I have sailed with Celebrity for a long time, so I’m not willing to give up yet, but I feel that changes need to occur if they expect to keep me.  

6 minutes ago, lhcruzin said:

I was disappointed in the Constellation in December.  Many of the more expensive items were missing from buffet and dining room.  It’s understandable that some changes need to occur due to escalated food prices.  However I found several items that were also just not prepared properly.  Foods overcooked etc.  couldn’t get waffles at breakfast because nobody knew how to make them.   There were also several other issues. I have sailed with Celebrity for a long time, so I’m not willing to give up yet, but I feel that changes need to occur if they expect to keep me.  

We've given up on Holland America as they have cutback on too many things with the food and entertainment . We decided to cruise more with Celebrity and now it seems they are going with the same kind of game plan. Pretty soon we will be seeing neckbones and black eyed peas on the menus. We did sail on the Infinity in October and it was a fantastic cruise with great food and outstanding entertainment on a wonderful ship. We sail on the Reflection in April and it will be interesting to see what cutbacks have been made.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Salt Lifer said:

We have a cruise coming up in a few months and have noticed the menu has changed and the offerings are less and not nearly as varied or unique.  We cruise for the food, and this is especially why we choose Celebrity over other lines.  Serving Tilapia on a formal night, no prime rib, etc. is not really acceptable for the amount we pay for the experience.  We were about to book a cruise to Alaska but have decided to hold off until we see how much Celebrity has downgraded the cruising experience - especially the food - on our next sailing.  I am reserving judgement until we experience it first hand, but from what I am reading it isn't making me excited to book anything new.  

Perhaps Celebrity feels if they turn the MDR experience into the equivalent of going to a chain restaurant that cruisers will fork over the extra money for the specialty restaurants?  

That very well could be the direction most of the lines are contemplating. 

7 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

No waste-First night it’s Tilapia 

second night It’s Mahi Mahi and

third night it’s Haddock

Fourth night it's fish sticks from the waste leftovers.😁

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Not my choice but haddock is not cheap.

Sustainably farmed Haddock is a less costly replacement for Cod in many dishes. It lacks the firmness of Cod. Usually served in much thinner filets than Cod would be. 

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Someone suggested giving Tilapia a French name to disguise it. The French translation for Tilapia is Linquee, so if you see this on the menu stay away.😁

That was me ( Pinboy )--- 

LOL--- Do you think anyone will remember  " Linquee " when they see it on the menu ?

Probably not---when they taste it---- now, they'll remember.

My motto--- If I can't pronounce it---forget it.

Maybe that's why some people ( me ) don't care who the Captain is on a cruise in 2025 ( as asked on CC so many times ).

Lastly, about the food choices on Celebrity ships---- In all our cruises, we never went hungry , and never lost weight (LOL).

• Haha 2

We did a 4 night on edge in November.  Introduced us back to cruising as it had been a few years. 

15 year old had some form of beef every night and really enjoyed his prime rib slice. 

However, out first day, lunch in buffet,  he did grab a piece of something,  looked like beef. He vehemently declared it inedible. I took a bite,  trying to assure my son not to be a snob about the food for the next 4 days,  but he was right. Looked like you could chew it, but couldn't be done. Very odd and I assured him it was a one off.

Anyway,  every beef cut he had in mdr was chewable, so perhaps they set the bar very low with the first lunch! 

I just told him about the no more prime rib reports,  we have a Feb solstice coming up,  and he is not happy.  He said , I really liked that one!

It does appear we will be having a Thanksgiving dinner on chic night...

• Like 1

With our first Celebrity cruise coming up next Sunday, it's pretty disappointing to see that these new changes mean that Carnival has better options than we will get in the MDR on X: sea bass, mahi mahi, filet every night (it's an upcharge most nights on Carnival but at least it's available), and on Carnival they don't charge extra on lobster night until the third tail! 

Between the new MDR menus and the changes to the OVC, this is not the experience we were hoping for or expecting on our first X cruise. Might be the last, too... 

14 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@NMTravellertomorrow is chic night. I do see sirloin in the steak Diane, but serving tilapia on a formal night

Mmmm.... dirt fish!  😉

Please tell me they're still offering escargot each night as an appetizer.  That's a favorite treat of mine on Celebrity cruises.

7 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Mmmm.... dirt fish!  😉

Please tell me they're still offering escargot each night as an appetizer.  That's a favorite treat of mine on Celebrity cruises.

Escargot is still on the appetizer choices, but keep your eyes out because rumors from good sources signal more MDR cuts are coming.

They replaced yesterdays rock fish with tilapia on the fresh grill for lunch today. 

D8D42062-055F-487E-A346-691987BFA698.jpeg

8949A1A9-625E-4D98-95A4-B6988F0CFCC1.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I just checked Summit MDR dinner menus for next week's 5 night cruise.  If it doesn't improve by my cruises, I'll be skipping most evenings.  This is Night 5 offering Screenshot_20230114_131728_Celebrity.thumb.jpg.091504850307885c861c6e010848354f.jpg

any pork and beans?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

When are you scheduled for your next cruise?  I'd be interested in getting your in-person perspective.   This appears to be in the category of: "You can't be serious"

I sail in March. I'm in Retreat but like to order the MDR items that I listed above in Luminae.

2 hours ago, retird said:

I’m currently on the Equinox...   Tonights menu includes shrimp scampi, grilled cobia, roasted lamb, beef tournedos, stuffed portobello mushroom plus the standards.   For someone who asked , grilled snapper will be served on night five.

You still have the old menu. Perhaps they haven't gone fleet-wide with the new limited selections. Was there prime rib on night 1?

Edited by RichYak