No more prime rib?

kevin1551

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I never cared for thier prime rib. It is sliced to thin, which I understand on a ship. Once we tried to ask for a double thick cut to share. That didn't work out. DH and I go out to dinner and share the prime rib. I eat a bit, he eats some and we bring the rest home for sandwiches.

I would agree as a sandwich meat though, it works really well.

38 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Like how if it says "escargot" on a menu many people will be like "OMG MUST HAVE" but if it said "snail" I'd be shocked if people clamored to eat them.

You could say the same for calamari, call if fried squid and it probably wouldn't be as popular. Years ago, when we lived in west Texas locals loved BBQ Cabrito, but few knew in reality cabrito is Spanish for baby goat.

32 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Sign me up regardless of the name, this is one of my favorites. My line is drawn at insects, I can handle eating a snail but not an insect. It might have more to do with the garlic and butter, which really livens up the gluten free bread they provide.

To the thread topic, the prime rib is a hard pass for me though since is all about the seasoning like a filet. I know I am in the minority on those two cuts of meat but I am a ribeye, T-bone, or porterhouse kind of guy.

Prime rib and a ribeye are the same cut, both are from the standing rib roast.  Typically with prime rib, you roast the whole standing rib roast then slice it.  With a ribeye it’s cut then cooked.  I personally prefer a ribeye over prime rib but wouldn’t turn down a prime rib if that were the only steak option

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Prime rib and a ribeye are the same cut, both are from the standing rib roast.  Typically with prime rib, you roast the whole standing rib roast then slice it.  With a ribeye it’s cut then cooked.  I personally prefer a ribeye over prime rib but wouldn’t turn down a prime rib if that were the only steak option

Maybe I have had bad prime ribs over the years, but the have all been pretty flavorless, especially the ones on Disney cruises to the point I no longer try them. Going to a supper club around home, a ribeye with just a little salt is amazing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Maybe I have had bad prime ribs over the years, but the have all been pretty flavorless, especially the ones on Disney cruises to the point I no longer try them. Going to a supper club around home, a ribeye with just a little salt is amazing. 

With a rib-eye there’s more surface area on the faces so one can add more flavor with rubs if they want (some only want salt and pepper, some don’t care as they drown it in A1).  I personally always use a rub and put a heavy coat all over, vacuum seal it and leave it in the fridge for a few days before cooking it.

With that being said, cruise lines aren’t using top quality beef and cook in batches vs made to order

6 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Speaking of  "escargots",  have people noticed how much small these are than, let's just say, a few years ago.

I had them one night on the Reflection last year and you are right they were so small and hard to find in all the garlic butter. Dipping my bread in the garlic butter was the highlight of the dish.

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I had them one night on the Reflection last year and you are right they were so small and hard to find in all the garlic butter. Dipping my bread in the garlic butter was the highlight of the dish.

People don't like snails - they like garlic butter.  At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it😁

3 minutes ago, mnocket said:

People don't like snails - they like garlic butter.  At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it😁

Funny, I tried to order the escargot once without the snails just to get the garlic butter and our waiter told me they couldn't do that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

( I don't even play my age anymore ) !

Well, when you're 59 don't expect to! And if you DO shoot 59 consistently, don't cruise....go on the 'tour'...😉

I shoot 59 on every round— sometimes by the 11 th hole, sometimes by the etc etc — 

“ tour “— the last tour I was on was in Limon — 10 hrs looking at bananas and the rare sloth + 1.5 hrs of our tour guide “ buttering “ us up for a tip!!!

59 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

You could say the same for calamari, call if fried squid and it probably wouldn't be as popular. Years ago, when we lived in west Texas locals loved BBQ Cabrito, but few knew in reality cabrito is Spanish for baby goat.

We were at an all inclusive in Jamaca once. They had goat races with young boys running with the goats. Of course we all bet on our favorite. That night there was curried goat for dinner. I always wondered if it was a goat from the race and, if so, was it was the winner or the looser. The looser because he didn't work so hard and therefore may be more tender? Or the winner because all the other goats were tired of looking at his butt?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

"Mast Grill Under the Stars - Indulge in our new open air dining venue and take a bit of day time fun into the evening with classic international grill fare. $51.99+20%" 

Yup I bet it will happen!

Laura

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NASCAR Bubba said:

No prime rib, charge for each additional lobster tail, no Beef Wellington, no crab cakes, no Grand Mariner souffle, and the list goes on...

Maybe I am a picky eater, but the Wellington is not as good as I can make it, the crab cakes are made from Blue Swimming crab, not Maryland or Virgina crab and have filling in them, (VS G & M Seafood in Md. They ship) we have better prime rib at our club on Saturday nights, now the souffle? There is a treat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

I would agree as a sandwich meat though, it works really well.

We used to buy Rib Eye and slice thin on an electric slicer. Then take it tailgating to a Dolphins game. Toss it on the grill, flip it and serve it on a fresh baguette. Sauce it you want. Served with some Goombay Mashes or Sangria. THAT was tailgating (back in the Marino Days). The perfect day? On the golf course at sunrise, finish up by 10:15, go home and shower and pack for the game. Get to the game by 1130. After the game, go home & shower, jump on the boat and go out to dinner. Get to Ruth's Chris and see your drinks waiting on the table because they saw the boat pull up.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Maybe I am a picky eater, but the Wellington is not as good as I can make it, the crab cakes are made from Blue Swimming crab, not Maryland or Virgina crab and have filling in them, (VS G & M Seafood in Md. They ship) we have better prime rib at our club on Saturday nights, now the souffle? There is a treat.

On the Reflection we had the Ginger crab cakes appetizer and I swear the crab came out of a can. I have bought canned crab in the stores and I know that was the same kind of crab in the cakes.

Edited by terrydtx

5 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

We used to buy Rib Eye and slice thin on an electric slicer. Then take it tailgating to a Dolphins game. Toss it on the grill, flip it and serve it on a fresh baguette. Sauce it you want. Served with some Goombay Mashes or Sangria. THAT was tailgating (back in the Marino Days). The perfect day? On the golf course at sunrise, finish up by 10:15, go home and shower and pack for the game. Get to the game by 1130. After the game, go home & shower, jump on the boat and go out to dinner. Get to Ruth's Chris and see your drinks waiting on the table because they saw the boat pull up.

Sounds good to me, except for the "sunrise" part. 😴

4 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

When we lived in Birmingham Alabama, we had a sandwich shop that made all his Philly cheese steak from a standing rib roast, and it was delicious.

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

They had prime rib when we booked.  It’s difficult to trust them now.

The prime rib on our Oct cruise wasn't good enough to want it on our next cruise. It was about 1/2 inch thick and sitting in a pool of some generic sauce/gravy. 

PXL_20221015_223810996.jpg

Edited by patty1955
to add photo

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you crunch the numbers, even in the height cruising, RCL was barely making enough to cover their current interest only payments; let alone reduce debt.

Must disagree.

In both 2018 and 2019 RCL enjoyed just under $2B in earnings and $3.5B in operating cash flow.  The difference between earnings and cash flow is mostly add back of $1.2B in depreciation, a non-cash expense.  These results included interest expense of just under $300 million.  So interest expense was covered many times by both earnings and cash flow.

With more berths available thanks to fleet additions if RCL is able to get back to their 2019 profit margin they should be able to cover their current $1.4B annual interest expense bill with a sizeable amount left over for debt repayment.  There is no need to pay it all off in 10 years, an asset-heavy company like RCL isn't expected to be debt-free and they can always aid the process by issuing stock. 

• Like 3

Sorry I know I am British but what is this obsession with Prime Rib?? Is it status related??

Possibly LLP is trying to wean you off beef on environmental grounds?? 😉

You can keep your tilapia.  Not aware of having eaten it but I don't like the sound of it.

Edited by anniegb
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Must disagree.

In both 2018 and 2019 RCL enjoyed just under $2B in earnings and $3.5B in operating cash flow.  The difference between earnings and cash flow is mostly add back of $1.2B in depreciation, a non-cash expense.  These results included interest expense of just under $300 million.  So interest expense was covered many times by both earnings and cash flow.

With more berths available thanks to fleet additions if RCL is able to get back to their 2019 profit margin they should be able to cover their current $1.4B annual interest expense bill with a sizeable amount left over for debt repayment.  There is no need to pay it all off in 10 years, an asset-heavy company like RCL isn't expected to be debt-free and they can always aid the process by issuing stock. 

Sure they can have some debt but the debt went from about $8B to about $18B from 2019 to 2021.  Certainly not an investment grade stock at these levels