Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

And how is that worse than having such a strong reaction to what others might be WEARING? Which you clearly have. 

Don't be concerned about me. I am perfectly content dressing in a manner accepted by the cruise line instead of pondering over why people 
'disrespect' a mere  SUGGESTION

Well, hate was a pretty strong word for you to use. Which prompted my response.

I thought I was clear about those few who are scornful about what others wear. If you think I was critical of what you choose to wear, then you misead my post. I'd add, I think someone staring you down was poor form.

I agreed with you that different levels of formal wear in the dining rooms is a good idea on the new Sun Princess. Hopefully, having choices will put an end to this kind of thread.

In the meantime, I've had a chance to read the back couple pages and see this thread has become contentious. (As formal night threads often do.) Not my intention to jump in in that kind of way. If you were finding something intolerable about cruising, my intent was to be helpful. But I see the way this thread is going and I'm not interested in that kind of posting. Sincerely wish you Happy Cruising.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

So, what's this business about segregating guests on the new Sun based on their clothing when showing up to dine?  Does this mean on night one (always smart casual and even less than that in some cases), guests will need to declare what they are going to be wearing on night two in order to direct them to the correct DR level to begin with?  I am thinking of those who want to have same table for length of voyage.  Are they going to put a small Club Class section on each level in order to cover off that group as no doubt that cross-section of guests will represent a cross-section of dressers (as opposed to a section of cross-dressers)? 

Having a class system on the cruise ship is not going to be a pleasant thing for PCL I am thinking.  Is the top level going to be strictly black tie and dark suits?  Is the bottom level strictly shorts and T's (i.e., under today's Smart Casual)?  That leaves a whole big middle ground for level 2 of the DR.  What happens with the border-line calls?  Will they send instant replay to Santa Clarita with a call from the referee there to designate which level for the guest in question? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Then the staff at the entrance should respect their employers dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening and do the job they are getting paid to do. 🙄 I sure hope you comment on this issue you have on your PCS. 

Instead they respect their employers desires to make their customers comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have read through this thread fascinated by the passion and logic of those contributing. Honestly, I find good arguments on both sides.

I think the only one to be annoyed with is Princess itself. There is no need for this disagreement, because there is a simple solution.

Princess should offer some cruises with  the same itinerary with formal nights and some without upfront. That way everyone knows what they are signing up for. On cruises with formal nights it should be enforced, no exceptions. 

Edited by roadster08
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roadster08 said:

I have read through this thread fascinated by the passion and logic of those contributing. Honestly, I find good arguments on both sides.

I think the only one to be annoyed with is Princess itself. There is no need for this disagreement, because there is a simple solution.

Princess should offer some cruises with  the same itinerary with formal nights and some without upfront. That way everyone knows what they are signing up for. On cruises with formal nights it should be enforced, no exceptions. 

And miss all of this rip-roaring free entertainment??  

Not on your life!!! 

We are fast approaching 300 posts.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Is the bottom level strictly shorts and T's (i.e., under today's Smart Casual)?  That leaves a whole big middle ground for level 2 of the DR.  What happens with the border-line calls? 

And the moment I see thong bathing suits worn to dinner, I’m outta there

Most of you thong wearers can barely pull it off at the pool, let alone at the place where I eat 

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 555 said:

No matter what a persons choice is, reading a thread such as this would certainly confuse anyone sailing for the first time. 

Reading a thread such as this is an exercise in masochism.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, voljeep said:

The three decks will each have their own personalities, offer different dining experiences and range in levels of formality.

Very pleasing to note that this states range in levels of formality , it does not state range in levels of casualness. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Am I the only one that had to look up the definition of “masochism” ?

This is the definition I was referring to "the enjoyment of what appears to be painful or tiresome."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broadside said:

Very pleasing to note that this states range in levels of formality , it does not state range in levels of casualness. 

Different levels of formality…...hmmmmm…..sounds as though the stuffed-shirt elitists will finally have their very own venue within which they can all focus on out preening one another.

All the while we folks who are not cursed with  such amour propre are allowed to go about being just normal folks. 

Sounds like a win-win to me!!😃

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Different levels of formality…...hmmmmm…..sounds as though the stuffed-shirt elitists will finally have their very own venue within which they can all focus on out preening one another.

All the while we folks who are not cursed with  such amour propre are allowed to go about being just normal folks. 

there's some class envy goin' on in here  

Natalie Monroe’s review of The House of Hades

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Broadside said:

Nor does it define what formality means.  I am sure whatever is suggested will not be enforced so nothing new or to get excited about.  

For many casual is not the opposite of formal but the opposite of confined.  To many people, especially Americans, clothes are freedom to represent how we choose to present ourselves to the world.  People do not wear their social class on their sleeves like they did in the early years of cruising.  The world has steadily gone more casual and Princess is sailing upstream if it thinks it can change that and not change with the times.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Nor does it define what formality means.  I am sure whatever is suggested will not be enforced so nothing new or to get excited about.  

For many casual is not the opposite of formal but the opposite of confined.  To many people, especially Americans, clothes are freedom to represent how we choose to present ourselves to the world.  People do not wear their social class on their sleeves like they did in the early years of cruising.  The world has steadily gone more casual and Princess is sailing upstream if it thinks it can change that and not change with the times.

I’m continually amazed how lathered up people get when this subject gets posted.  Based on some of the responses, maybe this group is in need of some DE&I training 😉.

There’s already plenty of “class segregation” happening on modern cruise ships. Suite status, Club Class Dining, separate elevators for suite guests , special seating at shows, and the list goes on. Granted, people buy into this, so perhaps they are entitled to the perks. We don’t begrudge. We have our own good time. 

If the formal dressers want to be surrounded by like minded people in that ambiance, so be it. Same goes for the causal dressers. If others want to co-mingle (without name calling and staring) even better. 

I don’t see this as Princess sailing upstream and trying to stop change, I think it is trying to give people an option. 

Both sides of this “debate” have the right to do what they please. 

All that said, someone please pass the Grey Puepon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So, what's this business about segregating guests on the new Sun based on their clothing when showing up to dine?  Does this mean on night one (always smart casual and even less than that in some cases), guests will need to declare what they are going to be wearing on night two in order to direct them to the correct DR level to begin with?  I am thinking of those who want to have same table for length of voyage.  Are they going to put a small Club Class section on each level in order to cover off that group as no doubt that cross-section of guests will represent a cross-section of dressers (as opposed to a section of cross-dressers)? 

Having a class system on the cruise ship is not going to be a pleasant thing for PCL I am thinking.  Is the top level going to be strictly black tie and dark suits?  Is the bottom level strictly shorts and T's (i.e., under today's Smart Casual)?  That leaves a whole big middle ground for level 2 of the DR.  What happens with the border-line calls?  Will they send instant replay to Santa Clarita with a call from the referee there to designate which level for the guest in question? 

Time will tell but maybe this is the answer many posters have suggested- one level that observes formal nights, one that is smart casual every night, and one that is casual enough to allow shorts?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lgonquin said:

There’s already plenty of “class segregation” happening on modern cruise ships. Suite status, Club Class Dining, separate elevators for suite guests , special seating at shows, and the list goes on. Granted, people buy into this, so perhaps they are entitled to the perks.

People who pay for those extra perks certainly should get to enjoy them but what about denying those who have paid the basic fare and then get denied entrance to the DR because of the style of their clothing?  Your argument then falls apart. 

Thankfully Princess now allows everyone to enjoy the same food regardless of dress choice.

• Like 1

With all do respect to the formalists,  Princess cannot even enforce the one suggested dress code it has across its' fleet and now we think that they will be able to do it for three different dining sections in the MDR.

I am not sure that the three different levels of dining have anything to do with dress code yet but maybe it has more to do with food selections and cuisine.  But the mystery is that nothing has been clearly stated and things do change until ship launch.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

I am not sure that the three different levels of dining have anything to do with dress code yet but maybe it has more to do with food selections and cuisine.

Unless they're identical every night, we'll be back to the same old DR arguments and they won't have solved a thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting read, as always.  Haven't cruised since Oct. 2019, Northern Lights. Being a colder weather cruise, late Fall, no overly casual dress. I like to dress up, basically don't care what people wear.  I don't take shorter cruises or go to the Caribbean, warm weather cruises.  I think things being more casual everywhere have an impact (church, events, graduations, etc.)

What I don't get is the hardline taken about this.  I've been cruising since since the 1980s, when formal was formal.  People dressed up and cruising was way different.  Times have changed, but I still like cruising.  If I want to dress nice for dinner every night my choice.  If others don't, not a problem.  I'm never as dressy as some or as casual as others.  I would never wear shorts in a dining room any time of day, capris, yes.  

To me, key is, Princess isn't usually enforcing dress codes.  Who am I to get upset with what others are wearing?  I'm in my 70s, I worry about myself when I travel, especially because I'm alone.  Getting upset with others, nope.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2