Amtrak to Cruiseport Cape Liberty

junior8

I am trying to decide if taking Amtrak to Newark Penn station and then an UBER to the port on the day of my cruise in April is crazy has some people say about flying in day of.  Any ideas or other suggestions? Unfortunately I will not have a car available, I usually just drive myself.

1 hour ago, junior8 said:

I am trying to decide if taking Amtrak to Newark Penn station and then an UBER to the port on the day of my cruise in April is crazy has some people say about flying in day of.  Any ideas or other suggestions? Unfortunately I will not have a car available, I usually just drive myself.

I have done that from Norfolk Virginia to Baltimore on  the day of the cruise multiple times and really liked it.  The train got me into Baltimore at noon  and it was only 15 to 20 minutes to the port by Uber.  I was always on the ship by 1:00.  I think the train is much more reliable... and enjoyable  than the plane.

2 hours ago, junior8 said:

Where are you coming from? Delays along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor (Boston to Washington DC) are fairly rare and I would be fairly comfortable doing a same day arrival, especially if it was an early train that gave you a little bit of padding. 

Delays with Amtrak's longer distance trains are far more common. Coming from outside of the Northeast Corridor the day of would give me pause. 

43 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Where are you coming from? Delays along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor (Boston to Washington DC) are fairly rare and I would be fairly comfortable doing a same day arrival, especially if it was an early train that gave you a little bit of padding. 

Delays with Amtrak's longer distance trains are far more common. Coming from outside of the Northeast Corridor the day of would give me pause. 

I am coming from CT. I take the train to DC and enjoy it. Taking an UBER is something I have never done so I'll have to have my niece show me how to do it before I leave.  Thanks for the information

1 hour ago, elsie3939 said:

I have done that from Norfolk Virginia to Baltimore on  the day of the cruise multiple times and really liked it.  The train got me into Baltimore at noon  and it was only 15 to 20 minutes to the port by Uber.  I was always on the ship by 1:00.  I think the train is much more reliable... and enjoyable  than the plane.

Thank you Elsi3939. I am not a flyer. I enjoy taking a train to DC a few times. It isnt very expensive from my home town to Newark Penn station is $98.  Less stress for me. I think I am going to go that route. Who knows maybe I will want to take it all the time instead of driving.  All I can do it try right. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 2:22 PM, junior8 said:

I am trying to decide if taking Amtrak to Newark Penn station and then an UBER to the port on the day of my cruise in April * * *

On 1/16/2023 at 5:31 PM, junior8 said:

[The train] isn't very expensive from my home town [in Connecticut] to Newark Penn station is $98.

Given the relatively short distance, and the frequency of service should "Plan B" become necessary, I would not be terribly concerned about traveling on the same day as the sailing from Bayonne. Yes, I would leave home early in the morning, but otherwise it should be fine. I do, however, question the fare . . . one-way from Connecticut to Newark for $98 does seem to be rather expensive. The regular fare should be about $20, or about $40 if the lowest fare tickets are all sold out. Maybe $80 to $90 if using an Acela train, though that would be a waste of money doing so.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Given the relatively short distance, and the frequency of service should "Plan B" become necessary, I would not be terribly concerned about traveling on the same day as the sailing from Bayonne. Yes, I would leave home early in the morning, but otherwise it should be fine. I do, however, question the fare . . . one-way from Connecticut to Newark for $98 does seem to be rather expensive. The regular fare should be about $20, or about $40 if the lowest fare tickets are all sold out. Maybe $80 to $90 if using an Acela train, though that would be a waste of money doing so.

It depends on when it was booked, my daughter used to take Amtrak from Delaware to Newark, and now Boston to Newark, fares booked well in advance were much cheaper than booking closer to the travel date. 

• Like 1

Thank you Elsi3939. I am not a flyer. I enjoy taking a train to DC a few times. It isnt very expensive from my home town to Newark Penn station is $98.  Less stress for me. I think I am going to go that route. Who knows maybe I will want to take it all the time instead of driving.  All I can do it try right. 

Getting from amost anywhere in CT to anywhere to the south virtually condemns you to a painful sentence on I-95.   Amtrak is definitely preferable.

23 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It depends on when it was booked, * * * fares booked well in advance were much cheaper than booking closer to the travel date. 

Indeed it is the case that Amtrak fares can vary based on when purchased. But if planning in advance for a future, it is almost certain that fares less than $98 will be available from Connecticut to New York. To me, a $98 fare from Connecticut to Newark is simply far beyond what one should have to pay.

If Amtrak fares are excessive on a particular day, then one could consider using commuter trains are more reasonable fares. (Disadvantage of commuter trains: trains from Connecticut arrive in New York at Grand Central Terminal, while trains to New Jersey depart New York at Pennsylvania Station or 33rd Street-Herald Square.) Those fares--which are the same whether purchased in advance or on day of travel--are follows:

Shore Line East, New London to New Haven, $10.25

Hartford Line, Hartford to New Haven, $8.00

New Haven Line, New Haven to New York, $17.75 off-peak, $23.50 peak

Northeast Corridor, New York to Newark, $5.25

PATH, New York to Jersey City, $2.75

Worst case is that the commuter trains will cost $40, plus the transfer between GCT and Penn. Multiple commuter trains would not be as convenient as a single Amtrak train, but the possibility exists from all stations in Connecticut from which Amtrak service is available (plus many other stations as well).

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified. It is $98 round trip. The whole not not having my car is a big mess so in all honesty I would pay $98 each way to get there. 😁

Taking MetroNorth is an option. I would rather not have to transfer from Grand Central. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, junior8 said:

Taking MetroNorth is an option. I would rather not have to transfer from Grand Central. 

Thats a good deal then. 

It's a waste of time to save a few bucks but spend a lot more time in transit. Not to mention you are closer to MCT from Penn Station anyway. 

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to ask this same question in reverse. We are arriving in Bayonne from a Canada/New England cruise and we would like to take Amtrak to Baltimore Washington Airport. [DD can pick us up from there] There is an 11:52am train that I do not feel would rush us.  

We took an Amtrak from BWI to EWR in October and stayed at an airport hotel.  We took an Uber to the port the next day.  Easy-peasy.

Should we take an uber/taxi to Newark Penn station or to EWR to board the train? Currently the Amtrak cost is $28 pp.  That is similar to what we paid on the trip last year. I read that the EWR station is only meant for people taking flights.  Also, we had to take the airport Sky train to the terminal. 

I am thinking it is easier to take the Uber to the Penn station to board? Are there elevators to get to track level?

DH has some mobility issues and the whole process last rip of Amtrak to terminal and out to where we picked up airport hotel shuttle about did him in.

Ridiculous -  New London, CT  to Newark Penn Station is $21 if bought a bit in advance.

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I would like to ask this same question in reverse. We are arriving in Bayonne from a Canada/New England cruise and we would like to take Amtrak to Baltimore Washington Airport. [DD can pick us up from there] There is an 11:52am train that I do not feel would rush us.  

We took an Amtrak from BWI to EWR in October and stayed at an airport hotel.  We took an Uber to the port the next day.  Easy-peasy.

Should we take an uber/taxi to Newark Penn station or to EWR to board the train? Currently the Amtrak cost is $28 pp.  That is similar to what we paid on the trip last year. I read that the EWR station is only meant for people taking flights.  Also, we had to take the airport Sky train to the terminal. 

I am thinking it is easier to take the Uber to the Penn station to board? Are there elevators to get to track level?

DH has some mobility issues and the whole process last rip of Amtrak to terminal and out to where we picked up airport hotel shuttle about did him in.

Definitely take Uber or a taxi to Newark Penn Station. To use the EWR station you'll have to Uber or taxi to the airport and then take the AirTrain to the Amtrak EWR station, then transfer to your Amtrak train. Your train ticket will also cost you about $8 more from the EWR station than it will from Newark Penn Station because you have to pay an AirTrain surcharge.

Yes, there are elevators at Newark Penn Station.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 9:17 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Ridiculous -  New London, CT  to Newark Penn Station is $21 if bought a bit in advance.

I purchased this month so guess it wasnt far enough in advance.  But I'm cool with it because I have no car at the moment and knowing I can get to the ship is all that matters to me. 🙂 

I purchased this month so guess it wasnt far enough in advance.  But I'm cool with it because I have no car at the moment and knowing I can get to the ship is all that matters to me. 🙂 

My daughter’s friends purchased tickets from Newark NJ to Newark DE, one way, last minute, $90. Timing is every.

23 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter’s friends purchased tickets from Newark NJ to Newark DE, one way, last minute, $90. Timing is every.

I like their policy - since most of our Amtrak trips are planned well in advance we can take advantage of the low prices — which are made possible by the very high fares charged last minute bookers.

On 1/16/2023 at 4:36 PM, princeton123211 said:

We are taking Amtrak from Boston to NYC Penn Station the day before.  Primarily due to my fear of Amtrak delays (I've taken many many trips between Boston and NYC).    
We will be staying in NYC the night before, then taking PATH across  the river then Uber to the cruise terminal.  Not perfect, but works. 

15 hours ago, UptownGirl212 said:

We are taking Amtrak from Boston to NYC Penn Station the day before.  Primarily due to my fear of Amtrak delays (I've taken many many trips between Boston and NYC).    

I hear ya. Delays on the Northeast Corridor tend to be fairly rare though when compared to the rest of Amtrak's network. I used to go between Boston and NYC/Philly on Amtrak 2-3 times a week for about 10 years and I think only had 3-4 major delays in all that time that would have caused me to miss something. 

It usually takes something catastrophic on the Northeast Corridor to create a delay whereas the other long haul Amtrak trains it's more common because of freight traffic. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Such as this unfortunate incident that took place last night, causing delays of over 5 hours:

https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2023/03/man-struck-killed-by-amtrak-train-in-nj-cops-say.html

Things do happen, my husband had a meeting in DC last year, he usually just drives from NJ but decided to take Amtrak, downed power lines closed it up all day long.

• 3 weeks later...

We have cruised twice from Port Liberty and taken Amtrak from DC to Newark Penn Station the same day. Both times it has been very easy, although the trains are crowded! You can get an Uber or taxi right outside the train station - Uber is about half the cost of a taxi! [We learned the hard way!] Getting on board, you may be in line in your vehicle to get to the actual terminal for upwards of 30 minutes. First time - total from Penn Station to the ship was almost an hour; second time it was 30 minutes. 

32 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

We have cruised twice from Port Liberty and taken Amtrak from DC to Newark Penn Station the same day. Both times it has been very easy, although the trains are crowded! You can get an Uber or taxi right outside the train station - Uber is about half the cost of a taxi! [We learned the hard way!] Getting on board, you may be in line in your vehicle to get to the actual terminal for upwards of 30 minutes. First time - total from Penn Station to the ship was almost an hour; second time it was 30 minutes. 

Thank you this information.  I forgot about the line of cars to get into terminal.  I used my credit card points and got a room at the hotel someone mentioned on here that is attached to Penn station, or within easy walking distance.  Then I will Uber to the port. Probably go early just because I will be too impatient in the car to get in...LOL