Bars on Prima-can you order off menu?

McFins

Hi all.  Somewhere I saw a list of Bars and their menus on the Prima (maybe in a post or a review?) Can’t say that I’ve ever really looked at the menus for the ship bars before but I’m wondering if you can order off menu?   Looks like a fair amount of pre made drinks or brands I’m not familiar with (but I’m certainly no connoisseur) at some of the bars except for the Penrose bar and the Local.   So I’m just wondering if you can order off menu. 
Thanks as always for your feedback. 

I loved the bars on the Prima especially the metropolitan.  They made excellent drinks and it was a fun  atmosphere .  Just let them know what you like and be open to trying something new. I am a vodka drinker not a Gin drinker but I loved ALL ABOUT THAT BASIL! Give it a try.  Go to the rum tasting I found a drink I really liked even though I don’t normally drink rum.  It was a great ship for trying out new drinks plus having my favorites!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, curlstravel said:

I loved the bars on the Prima especially the metropolitan.  They made excellent drinks and it was a fun  atmosphere .  Just let them know what you like and be open to trying something new. I am a vodka drinker not a Gin drinker but I loved ALL ABOUT THAT BASIL! Give it a try.  Go to the rum tasting I found a drink I really liked even though I don’t normally drink rum.  It was a great ship for trying out new drinks plus having my favorites!

Curls, glad to hear you liked them.   Good advice, I’ll keep an open mind as I may also find I really like something I’ve not tried before. 

10 hours ago, McFins said:

Hi all.  Somewhere I saw a list of Bars and their menus on the Prima (maybe in a post or a review?) Can’t say that I’ve ever really looked at the menus for the ship bars before but I’m wondering if you can order off menu?   Looks like a fair amount of pre made drinks or brands I’m not familiar with (but I’m certainly no connoisseur) at some of the bars except for the Penrose bar and the Local.   So I’m just wondering if you can order off menu. 
Thanks as always for your feedback. 

Yup. Order what you want and the bartender will tell you if they have ingredients to make it. We like a lychee based drink and some bars can make it, some can not. 

The Penrose Bar (Deck 6 midship) is the Atrium bar and is wall-to-wall people at night when there is entertainment. The Metropolitan Bar (Deck 7 aft) is a better bar in the evening. 

The other Atrium bar is the Whiskey Bar (Deck 8 midship) and we were annoyed that they did not stock ingredients for standard tropical drinks and frozen drinks. I get that they want to make it a fancy whiskey bar.... but reality check... its a bar in the Atrium on a cruise ship. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yup. Order what you want and the bartender will tell you if they have ingredients to make it. We like a lychee based drink and some bars can make it, some can not. 

The Penrose Bar (Deck 6 midship) is the Atrium bar and is wall-to-wall people at night when there is entertainment. The Metropolitan Bar (Deck 7 aft) is a better bar in the evening. 

The other Atrium bar is the Whiskey Bar (Deck 8 midship) and we were annoyed that they did not stock ingredients for standard tropical drinks and frozen drinks. I get that they want to make it a fancy whiskey bar.... but reality check... its a bar in the Atrium on a cruise ship. 

Funny you say that.  I looked at the menu and thought it was a pretty weak selection of Scotch for a Whiskey bar.

3 hours ago, mitchtech said:

Hi. Was wondering  if any of the bars make  spicy skinny margaritas? Does anyone know?

We are headed on Prima in a month but I do know that NCL has made skinny margs in the past, not sure about the spicy skinny marg though. 

I've generally found bartenders willing to make any drink you want if they have the ingredients.  Not all bartenders will know how to make all drinks.  If they don't know, they will ask the other staff if they know how.  Or you can try to tell them.  On a very few occasions, I've had lazy bartenders who basically say "No, I can't make that here." without telling the reason why.  Generally, they want you to be happy (and tip more).

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Thanks Bird.   

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I am not a whiskey drinker, but thought the Whiskey bar was nice and bright and had some comfortable seating. I was able to get a vodka and cranberry at that bar. It was made with either Grey Goose or Belvedere vodka. I can't remember now which one. They had Bacardi rum and Tanqueray gin as well, but only had mixers for pretty basic drinks. I enjoyed a few Bacardi and Diet Cokes from the Whiskey bar as well. I remember thinking that deck 7 could use an atrium bar, and not just a Starbucks.

The bars with the new types of alcoholic beverages grew on me as the week went by, but I do like to get a frozen drink without it being a big deal. I think The Local and the bar by the main pool were good for some of the more of the traditional cruise drinks on Prima.

I found that Prima has a lot of bars, and each one had it's own special drink menu. Since this ship is different from any other NCL ship, I also found that I had to look at the deck plans a little bit more to find all the bars.

The cruise we did was only five nights so I did not get to try them all. I look forward to going on Prima again some day now especially now that I know what to expect. Also hoping to sail on Viva.

41 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am not a whiskey drinker, but thought the Whiskey bar was nice and bright and had some comfortable seating. I was able to get a vodka and cranberry at that bar. It was made with either Grey Goose or Belvedere vodka. I can't remember now which one. They had Bacardi rum and Tanqueray gin as well, but only had mixers for pretty basic drinks. I enjoyed a few Bacardi and Diet Cokes from the Whiskey bar as well. I remember thinking that deck 7 could use an atrium bar, and not just a Starbucks.

The bars with the new types of alcoholic beverages grew on me as the week went by, but I do like to get a frozen drink without it being a big deal. I think The Local and the bar by the main pool were good for some of the more of the traditional cruise drinks on Prima.

I found that Prima has a lot of bars, and each one had it's own special drink menu. Since this ship is different from any other NCL ship, I also found that I had to look at the deck plans a little bit more to find all the bars.

The cruise we did was only five nights so I did not get to try them all. I look forward to going on Prima again some day now especially now that I know what to expect. Also hoping to sail on Viva.

Thanks Lynne.  The Whiskey bar does look nice and basic drinks other than whiskey sounds good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C cruise said:

will they make mocktails? what bar would be best for something like a non-alcoholic pina colada?

We spent most of our time in the Vibe where they had some interesting mocktails on the menu, but I don't recall anything similar to a pina colada.  I think the Local or one of the outdoor bars might be your best bet for something like that.

5 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

If we are mostly domestic beer and wine drinkers, are these basic beverages available at most bars on Prima?

The beer choices at most of the bars are pretty limited. However, we saw that the Luna Bar in Indulge has something like 16 beers on tap...most of which aren't available elsewhere on the ship. That's where we'll be doing most of our beer drinking.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1