Covid Testing for Enhanced Guidelines Voyage

tawlaw1526

9 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I entirely hear what you're saying.  It's just really frustrating to receive the following two responses regarding our March TA on the Enchanted, the first from my PVP and the second from live chat:

Hi Susan,

Per the guidelines a self-administered antigen home test is acceptable for this voyage and you can upload a photo to your medallion app.

Kind Regards,

K-----

image.thumb.png.b934912635487ad4b0cfb4cd55f02861.png

I think almost all passengers would assume Princess knows what it's talking about and plan for a regular at-home test.  Unless they clarify the wording on the guidelines, we need to look at our travel summary and important notices closer to sailing.  It should specify exactly what the testing requirements are.  If a test is required, we should also receive an email shortly before sailing.  

You would assume they know, but that’s not been the case.  
That might be what is happening as far as clarity in the wording. I believe, IF there is a change, we should get an email directly from PCL, stating the important notice for our cruise.

Others on an Enhanced Voyage did get a notice by email that a self test is acceptable and that was about 2 weeks before sailing.  Can’t remember which one it was.  Not mine, of course!  😆 

4 minutes ago, pompeii said:

So you were on the Crown sailing that required proctored tests?  Do you remember what the app said to upload, did it instruct you to upload a photo or was it specific about needing proctored results?  

Also, did you receive an email for that sailing and was it listed in your travel summary or Important Notices for the cruise?  The last time I had to test, it was for Hawaii last March and the instructions were very specific regarding testing in both places.  I'm hoping they're still doing that.  Thanks

No specific email or instructions in the cruise personalizer or travel summary.

It was the same, general guidelines on the cruiseHealth tool as now.  

The App is a little different this time.  It did ask for a photo/upload of negative test results. Which you upload 48 hrs before sailing.

I don’t remember anything about self test or photo of self test, date, etc.

32 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

No specific email or instructions in the cruise personalizer or travel summary.

It was the same, general guidelines on the cruiseHealth tool as now.  

The App is a little different this time.  It did ask for a photo/upload of negative test results. Which you upload 48 hrs before sailing.

I don’t remember anything about self test or photo of self test, date, etc.

When did the guidelines on the Princess site change to allow for a photo of a self-test?  Wasn't it after your November sailing?  I'm thinking it was December, so maybe that's the difference.  Prior to that you had to have official proctored results, which was your experience, but starting in December the guidelines allow for a photo of an at home self test.  Which would also be why the app is different now and just requires a photo.

I would never trust the generic FAQ on the website buses the Health tool. I have seen some very upset people who booked Panama Canal cruises who are in vaccinated and now find they must test because the cruise goes to Colombia. Rules can change at any time

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

When did the guidelines on the Princess site change to allow for a photo of a self-test?  Wasn't it after your November sailing?  I'm thinking it was December, so maybe that's the difference.  Prior to that you had to have official proctored results, which was your experience, but starting in December the guidelines allow for a photo of an at home self test.  Which would also be why the app is different now and just requires a photo.

It could have been changed Dec 2, but IDK for sure.  I am not relying on the App either.  Many people have not even downloaded the App due to various reasons.  They must rely on what the website tells them CruiseHealth tool, etc.

What a mess.  We’ll know soon. 😳

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I would never trust the generic FAQ on the website buses the Health tool. I have seen some very upset people who booked Panama Canal cruises who are in vaccinated and now find they must test because the cruise goes to Colombia. Rules can change at any time

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Agree.

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

Are you on the TA or S Pac?

Did anyone else get a Princess robocall from 888 858 1081, recently?

They have used this phone no to call guests in relation to get ocean ready for your cruise in the past and also to remind guests of vaccine and test requirements.

I received a call on Jan 25th, but it went to my call spam filter. Ughhh

I only realized it today, and now I clicked to allow calls from that number.  It is a robo caller Princess number, but this one I’d like to hear.

If anyone gets a call, let me know what it is about.  Wondering if it’s related to covid protocols for the TA cruise in March?  

Don’t know if I’ll get another call. 

I agree that Princess needs to clean up their wordage.  I read the requirements for an enhanced voyage (specific to mine) AND did a live chat.  This was "confirmed", but I don't trust so will be doing a eMed test:

1.  PCR from a medical facility / 3 days before

2.  Rapid Antigen observed by a medical person / 3 days

OR

3.  Self administered/self attested over the counter/free test with photo of negative test, date, passport.

It's as clear as mud.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I agree that Princess needs to clean up their wordage.  I read the requirements for an enhanced voyage (specific to mine) AND did a live chat.  This was "confirmed", but I don't trust so will be doing a eMed test:

1.  PCR from a medical facility / 3 days before

2.  Rapid Antigen observed by a medical person / 3 days

OR

3.  Self administered/self attested over the counter/free test with photo of negative test, date, passport.

It's as clear as mud.

Yep.  Why don’t they just say a self test is accepted and upload a picture of the negative test on the App with the date and passport? 

Why even say all the PCR/Antigen/:Administered/observed/

assisted ya da … ya da

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Are you on the TA or S Pac?

Did anyone else get a Princess robocall from 888 858 1081, recently?

They have used this phone no to call guests in relation to get ocean ready for your cruise in the past and also to remind guests of vaccine and test requirements.

I received a call on Jan 25th, but it went to my call spam filter. Ughhh

I only realized it today, and now I clicked to allow calls from that number.  It is a robo caller Princess number, but this one I’d like to hear.

If anyone gets a call, let me know what it is about.  Wondering if it’s related to covid protocols for the TA cruise in March?  

Don’t know if I’ll get another call. 

Did you check if anyone on your roll call received a call?

I was on the Dec 19 South America (Sapphire) departing from San Antonio, Chile.  This was an 'enhanced' protocol cruise.  My husband and I did non-monitored, self-administered home tests in our hotel room on Dec 17.   I placed the test and driver's license on a piece of paper. I dated and signed the paper. I took a photo of the results and uploaded to the app. Also retained the pic on my phone. No questions asked when we checked in at the cruise terminal.  I met others at our hotel who were also doing the same thing.  They also got on the ship.  Those passengers who embarked in Los Angeles on Dec 2 had to provide monitored test results.  

Princess updated the 'enhanced' protocol on Dec 2.  The update allowed for non-monitored, self-administered home tests.  Yes, the first sentence contradicts the second bullet.  Princess did a poor job of updating the 'enhanced' protocol wording when they allowed self-administered tests effective 12/2.   The 'enhanced' guideline changed quite a few times and I think the last edit was sloppy.  They did better on the other protocols (e.g Japan).

A week before embarkation, Princess sent the "Booking Notification" email. It contained the following info:

image.png.844261b95bff8145f54db4794ae4e7dc.png

22 hours ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I really appreciate you sharing the experience from your Nov cruise.   That will hopefully help eliminate people coming unprepared for our March sailing.   We have just ordered our EMed tests for March.    I appreciate all the time helping us understand how to avoid what happened to 200 some people people in Nov.   That is the last type of stress I need on day of boarding.  THANK YOU!   

You don't need to do a medically observed/proctored test.  That requirement was applicable to the November cruise.  The requirement changed effective December 2.  Yes, awful editing/proofreading by Princess on the Dec 2 update.  I was on the Dec 19 (Sapphire) South America cruise which boarded in San Antonio Chile.  For those people who boarded the Sapphire on Dec 2 in Los Angeles, they had to do the monitored test.

I did a self-administered, non-monitored home test in my hotel room on Dec 17.  I put the test on a piece of paper, my driver's license next to it, signed and dated the piece of paper.  Took a picture and uploaded it to the app.  The app clearly referenced to upload self-administered test.  Boarded with no questions.  I met others at our hotel doing the same thing.  All got on the ship.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

I was on the Dec 19 South America (Sapphire) departing from San Antonio, Chile.  This was an 'enhanced' protocol cruise.  My husband and I did non-monitored, self-administered home tests in our hotel room on Dec 17.   I placed the test and driver's license on a piece of paper. I dated and signed the paper. I took a photo of the results and uploaded to the app. Also retained the pic on my phone. No questions asked when we checked in at the cruise terminal.  I met others at our hotel who were also doing the same thing.  They also got on the ship.  Those passengers who embarked in Los Angeles on Dec 2 had to provide monitored test results.  

Princess updated the 'enhanced' protocol on Dec 2.  The update allowed for non-monitored, self-administered home tests.  Yes, the first sentence contradicts the second bullet.  Princess did a poor job of updating the 'enhanced' protocol wording when they allowed self-administered tests effective 12/2.   The 'enhanced' guideline changed quite a few times and I think the last edit was sloppy.  They did better on the other protocols (e.g Japan).

A week before embarkation, Princess sent the "Booking Notification" email. It contained the following info:

Thank you very much for this info.

So, your CruiseHealth tool was NOT updated?  It still read the way it does today?  First sentence saying medically observed required?

Is this email the only notice you received?  Did it come directly to your email, or was it sent to your TA and then to you?

Do you think you were notified because there were so many complaints about the wording on the protocols?  I thought there was a lot of controversy from your sailing about it.  

So good to know.  Only a week ahead? Still will have to order emed tests that close to departure, unfortunately.

TIA

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thank you very much for this info.

So, your CruiseHealth tool was NOT updated?  It still read the way it does today?  First sentence saying medically observed required?

Is this email the only notice you received?  Did it come directly to your email, or was it sent to your TA and then to you?

Do you think you were notified because there were so many complaints about the wording on the protocols?  I thought there was a lot of controversy from your sailing about it.  

So good to know.  Only a week ahead? Still will have to order emed tests that close to departure, unfortunately.

TIA

The 'enhanced' protocol was updated on December 2 to the wording you see today.  The reference to 'medically observed' in the first sentence and the second bullet stating 'medically observed or self-administered home test.....' has caused lots of confusion.  Very poor editing/proofreading by Princess.  The wording prior to December 2 did not include the 'or self-administered home test' language.   Because I was going to have to do the test in Chile, I was closely monitoring the testing requirements for months.

The email I received came directly to my email on Dec 12.  I use a TA.  The subject line referenced the Princess Booking # and 'Booking Notification.'  The email also included the itinerary and passenger information.  

The only controversy I can think of is that those who boarded in LA on Dec 2 had to have a medically observed test and on the Roll Call some of them were insistent that those of us boarding on Dec 19 also needed to have a medically observed test.  

I happened to still have the free tests from the Federal government and was able to use those.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aggie83 said:

Yep, I think this is exactly right.  Since the enhanced protocol changed on Dec. 2, we really can't look at any cruises that sailed on or before that as an indication of what we need to do going forward.  I'm on the March 9 Enchanted TA to Barcelona, and unless we received notification from Princess specifically stating otherwise, I'll be doing exactly what you did @Aggie83.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aggie83 said:

You don't need to do a medically observed/proctored test.  That requirement was applicable to the November cruise.  The requirement changed effective December 2.  Yes, awful editing/proofreading by Princess on the Dec 2 update.  I was on the Dec 19 (Sapphire) South America cruise which boarded in San Antonio Chile.  For those people who boarded the Sapphire on Dec 2 in Los Angeles, they had to do the monitored test.

I did a self-administered, non-monitored home test in my hotel room on Dec 17.  I put the test on a piece of paper, my driver's license next to it, signed and dated the piece of paper.  Took a picture and uploaded it to the app.  The app clearly referenced to upload self-administered test.  Boarded with no questions.  I met others at our hotel doing the same thing.  All got on the ship.

Thank you so much for this information.    I appreciate you sharing what you and others did and were able to board the ship with no questions.    I am starting to feel more comfortable about it.   It’s really a shame that Princess has made this so difficult on all of us.    I total agree with you that it is awful editing/proofreading by Princess.    THANK YOU!

• Like 1

How can one determine if the cruise is considered an "Enhanced Protocol"?

All of the parameters have changed for Australia and New Zealand and there are no vaccinations or testing requirements... and yet, the Princess website is saying you must be vaccinated, test, etc. We already cancelled that TP due to the crazy stress involved and all of this being a moving target.

2 minutes ago, nini said:

How can one determine if the cruise is considered an "Enhanced Protocol"?

All of the parameters have changed for Australia and New Zealand and there are no vaccinations or testing requirements... and yet, the Princess website is saying you must be vaccinated, test, etc. We already cancelled that TP due to the crazy stress involved and all of this being a moving target.

According to those posting on the Australian and New Zealand Cruisers board Princess still has requirements for vaccination, pre-boarding testing, and (especially on longer cruises) shipboard testing a couple of days after embarkation. 

Where  have you heard otherwise?

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

According to those posting on the Australian and New Zealand Cruisers board Princess still has requirements for vaccination, pre-boarding testing, and (especially on longer cruises) shipboard testing a couple of days after embarkation. 

Where  have you heard otherwise?

These links are from Australia and New Zealand. Princess really needs to get its act together ( I am not flaming them as we are Platinum on Princess), as well as some other cruise lines. Vaccinations and covid testing is no longer required for vising flying into, or cruising.

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19/personal/travelling-to-nz/

Edited by nini
additional words

34 minutes ago, nini said:

These links are from Australia and New Zealand. Princess really needs to get its act together ( I am not flaming them as we are Platinum on Princess), as well as some other cruise lines. Vaccinations and covid testing is no longer required for vising flying into, or cruising.

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19/personal/travelling-to-nz/

You are right that the requirements are not imposed by the country, but the cruise lines are allowed to set their own and have done so.  According to https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel/cruise-travel

Travellers to and from Australia no longer need to provide evidence of their COVID-19 vaccination status. Travellers continue to be encouraged to be vaccinated for their own protection.

Cruise operators may have specific requirements for their passengers, and must also meet any requirements of the state or territory they are operating in. Check the requirements of your cruise operator and the states and/or territories and countries in which you will be travelling.

It's not just Australia and NZ cruises.  Our TA to Spain is also enhanced and Spain has no Covid protocols anymore.  I have no idea why and no one at Princess has an answer, they just say it has enhanced protocols because it's on the enhanced voyages list.🙄

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

You are right that the requirements are not imposed by the country, but the cruise lines are allowed to set their own and have done so.  According to https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel/cruise-travel

Travellers to and from Australia no longer need to provide evidence of their COVID-19 vaccination status. Travellers continue to be encouraged to be vaccinated for their own protection.

Cruise operators may have specific requirements for their passengers, and must also meet any requirements of the state or territory they are operating in. Check the requirements of your cruise operator and the states and/or territories and countries in which you will be travelling.

Truly, I get that, however, Princess says to not blame them because they are trying to abide by a country's  protocols... not true.  I am the one who posted that Australia link.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Truly, I get that, however, Princess says to not blame them because they are trying to abide by a country's  protocols... not true.  I am the one who posted that Australia link.

What's missing by just posting Australian rules are the rules of every country on the itinerary. I am on the Feb 11th Majestic cruise out of Sydney. We are down to 5 ports of call from 6 due to covid. We have requirements to bring proof of medical insurance that covers Covid and repatriation. Even if we state that we will not go ashore, we cannot board Majestic without this proof of insurance. 

Has nothing to do with Australia. It's New Caledonia and Fiji demanding this. Guessing they also demand the covid testing and perhaps more (proof of vaccination, masking on board). Previously required by Australia, but still required by countries we will be visiting.

• Like 1