Iona Suite downgraded by P&O

Ehg

We are sailing on Iona in 3 weeks. Yesterday we received a call from P&O informing us we have been downgraded to a mini-suite due to “safety issues”. We were due to be in one of the forward

suites on deck 12. 

Anyone got any idea What the “safety issue” might be? 

9 minutes ago, Ehg said:

We are sailing on Iona in 3 weeks. Yesterday we received a call from P&O informing us we have been downgraded to a mini-suite due to “safety issues”. We were due to be in one of the forward

suites on deck 12. 

Anyone got any idea What the “safety issue” might be? 

How many of you in the suite please? Any children for instance?

Other people recently moved from their suite on Arvia for "operational reasons" had the same problem.  It's strange they say safety issues. Perhaps the ship is undergoing some maintenance but assumedly others would be affected too.

As you're being downgraded have they given you a choice to where - which deck for instance - and assumedly a refund between the fares and compensation?

@Ehg in addition to what Megabear has suggested I personally would be

Asking for specific information about what these safety issues are, you have a contract which they are breaking. There is no reason that I can think of that they can’t give you an honest answer.

For the perks that go with a suite like breakfasts in the Epicurian as it’s not your fault they are moving you.

Onboard I would be checking to see if the suite was occupied.😈

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

@Ehg in addition to what Megabear has suggested I personally would be

Asking for specific information about what these safety issues are, you have a contract which they are breaking. There is no reason that I can think of that they can’t give you an honest answer.

For the perks that go with a suite like breakfasts in the Epicurian as it’s not your fault they are moving you.

Onboard I would be checking to see if the suite was occupied.😈

If it's a mini suite I hope to goodness it's not one of the conservatory suites on deck 8.  I really would demand a fortune if they took me from my nice deck 12 full suite to one of those!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

If it's a mini suite I hope to goodness it's not one of the conservatory suites on deck 8.  I really would demand a fortune if they took me from my nice deck 12 full suite to one of those!

Indeed, I just wouldn’t accept it. The deck 9 ones are slightly better.

@Ehg take a look on utube at the deck 8 mini suites, there are numerous videos available. If you are not aware they are right on the promenade  with some right opposite spa pools.

There is little to no privacy which is absolutely fine if you don’t mind that but a nightmare if you do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Did they give you the option of cancellation with a full refund, and offer to pay any costs you may have , e.g. hotel at port.

They should do

Yes, they did. 
I think I’ll call our travel agent tomorrow. I want to know what the issue is. P&O “didn’t know!”

they've moved us to a conservatory mini suite on deck 9. 

Just now, Ehg said:

Yes, they did. 
I think I’ll call our travel agent tomorrow. I want to know what the issue is. P&O “didn’t know!”

Have they offered you compensation as well as a refund of the extra cost of a suite over a mini suite.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ehg said:

Yes, they did. 

Are you happy with that? It must be a disappointing but are they giving you ample compensation if you accept it, there's presumably a big difference in the fare. 50% refund sounds a lot but did you book a long time ago, book a select fare or get a big OBC at that time. Surely there's OBC at least for your disappointment, even £50 or so.

Edited by Megabear2

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Are you happy with that? It must be a disappointing but are they giving you ample compensation if you accept it, there's presumably a big difference in the fare. 50% refund sounds a lot but did you book a long time ago, book a select fare or get a big OBC at that time. Surely there's OBC at least for your disappointment, even £50 or so.

Hmmmm, I don’t think they offered any extra OBC. We’d better have no less!

we are happy with the refund offered but would still have preferred a suite. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ehg said:

Hmmmm, I don’t think they offered any extra OBC. We’d better have no less!

we are happy with the refund offered but would still have preferred a suite. 

When did you originally book and what type of fare as a pure matter of interest?  Is this the G304 Western Europe cruise or the Canaries one

Edited by Megabear2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

When did you originally book and what type of fare as a pure matter of interest?  

We booked a while ago (I can check exactly when - bear with) and we always book select. 

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

When did you originally book and what type of fare as a pure matter of interest?  

We booked in August last year. 

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

When did you originally book and what type of fare as a pure matter of interest?  Is this the G304 Western Europe cruise or the Canaries one

It’s the Europe one. 7 nighter. 

Just now, Ehg said:

It’s the Europe one. 7 nighter. 

Thank you.  I see that all deck 9 mini suites on that are apparently sold out with only deck 8 available.  Those are selling at £2258 with £370 OBC at present or £1698 for a saver.  Any change to deck 9 most likely meant someone else being shuffled to make room for you.  I assume they just told you its this cabin take it or leave it as there's nothing else available.  Are you keeping your Epicurean breakfasts etc or is that just swept up in the 50%?

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.  I see that all deck 9 mini suites on that are apparently sold out with only deck 8 available.  Those are selling at £2258 with £370 OBC at present or £1698 for a saver.  Any change to deck 9 most likely meant someone else being shuffled to make room for you.  I assume they just told you its this cabin take it or leave it as there's nothing else available.  Are you keeping your Epicurean breakfasts etc or is that just swept up in the 50%?

My husband spoke to them and didn’t ask any of these questions, so I’ll ask them tomorrow. I’ll be pretty annoyed if we lose Epicurian for breakfast as we enjoy the calmer options which come with the suite. 

3 minutes ago, Ehg said:

My husband spoke to them and didn’t ask any of these questions, so I’ll ask them tomorrow. I’ll be pretty annoyed if we lose Epicurian for breakfast as we enjoy the calmer options which come with the suite. 

Good idea. If that's something you booked especially for they will hopefully help.

Interestingly there are 14 mini suites on deck 8 remaining to book on the website yet only 1 balcony cabin.  A dummy quote for just me was cheaper by £9 on select than saver - £1124 plus the OBC.

I think that's all a bit unusual so maybe there have been others affected.  Somewhere on another thread there was a poster allocated a deck 8 balcony on his saver inside fare for this cruise.  Sounds like a lot of musical chairs for something showing very limited availability.

7 hours ago, Ehg said:

Just me and my husband 

I agree with others.

This is one of the mini suites on deck 8.

There is no privacy.

We were walking on the promenade and there was sunbeds in front of the balcony of lots of the cabins.

IMG_20210911_170015.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1