No vegetarian menu on harmony

White123

They are introducing new menus. There's a big ongoing thread about it here:

Unfortunately, Royal appear to be offering just one vegan (not vegetarian) option each day, which is woefully insufficient, in my opinion. If I were vegan or vegetarian I would definitely be complaining on my questionnaire.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Unfortunately, Royal appear to be offering just one vegan (not vegetarian) option each day, which is woefully insufficient, in my opinion. If I were vegan or vegetarian I would definitely be complaining on my questionnaire.

I thought all vegan foods are vegetarian but not all vegetarian foods are vegan.  If that is incorrect what vegan food would not be vegetarian?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sft429 said:

I thought all vegan foods are vegetarian but not all vegetarian foods are vegan.  If that is incorrect what vegan food would not be vegetarian?

All Vegan foods are vegetarian.  The reverse is not true.

9 minutes ago, sft429 said:

You are correct but the point is that not all vegetarians want to eat strictly vegan food. Some may consume dairy products or eggs in their daily diet, for example. By only providing a single vegan option and no vegetarian option, Royal are taking that choice away from them, which I don't think is fair. I really can't see why there couldn't be one of each on the nightly menu.

• Like 4

The new MDR menus are really limiting, and I am definitely finding a less vegetarian-friendly selection in the WJ (I'm onboard Enchantment) than I remember. Things like ham in the scrambled eggs in the Windjammer, meat in the breakfast burritos in the Park cafe, meatless pasta sauce option usually a cream sauce, chorizo added to the poblano pepper soup ... Just seems unnecessary. Things *can* be vegetarian - friendly so easily. You can make a meatless baked ziti people can put a meat sauce on. You can offer an egg and cheese muffin people can add their own bacon to. You don't have to put the meat *in* everything. (In particular there's a lot of pork!)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sft429 said:

I was just taking issue with the statements that there were vegan options but no vegetarian ones.

The vegan options are often lacking in nutritional content that vegetarians tend to rely on - I think that is the biggest problem with this menu for vegetarians. (This point was also made in the other thread linked above). So while vegans have adjusted themselves to a diet without eggs, dairy, etc., not all vegetarians are prepared to or comfortable with losing that protein content.

It also seems like in many dishes, they've also gone back to the old trope of substituting mushroom for meat. As someone who hates mushrooms, this would not work for me at all. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

The new MDR menus are really limiting, and I am definitely finding a less vegetarian-friendly selection in the WJ (I'm onboard Enchantment) than I remember. Things like ham in the scrambled eggs in the Windjammer, meat in the breakfast burritos in the Park cafe, meatless pasta sauce option usually a cream sauce, chorizo added to the poblano pepper soup ... Just seems unnecessary. Things *can* be vegetarian - friendly so easily. You can make a meatless baked ziti people can put a meat sauce on. You can offer an egg and cheese muffin people can add their own bacon to. You don't have to put the meat *in* everything. (In particular there's a lot of pork!)

Saw that on Voyager earlier this month.  Had to really look for plain scrambled eggs.  No made-to-order omlets.  Never saw crepes.

She said that in windjammer she gets the salad and she says no meat on it and they don’t listen.    And so she can’t eat it,      Her husband and son are enjoying 

everything.  I feel so badly for her. I told her that there was a veg menu.  I suggested that the maître d could give her next days menu.  And she could circle parts of dishes that she could eat and make it up for her.   He said not possible.

I have cruised on many different cruise lines and they were always very cooperative.   Evidently Royal doesn’t do this.  I haven’t cruised Royal since pandemic started.   I was just on holland america. I have special needs ( not veg)

and got the menu the day before and had No problem,

I was on Oasis Dec 22-Jan5, and I am vegan. At that time, the vegan menu was available every night, which usually offered 2 apps, a soup, 2 mains, and a dessert option. In addition, there was usually an Indian dish that was vegan available. This is a HUGE decrease in options. Does anyone know of any other way of communicating the disappointment in this? I am booked next December as well, and hoping this is still subject to change!

• Like 1

Because we’re booking mostly Princess cruises, we are only going on three Royal cruises during 2023, but I will be contacting special needs prior to the Royal cruises.

Vegetarian diet currently best for treatments I will be taking for a few years. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cyclone1414 said:

I was on Oasis Dec 22-Jan5, and I am vegan. At that time, the vegan menu was available every night, which usually offered 2 apps, a soup, 2 mains, and a dessert option. In addition, there was usually an Indian dish that was vegan available. This is a HUGE decrease in options. Does anyone know of any other way of communicating the disappointment in this? I am booked next December as well, and hoping this is still subject to change!

It's crazy.  The really bizarre thing is that they took away anything vegetarian and replaced it with just that one, single vegan option. Someone clearly doesn't understand that there's a huge difference.  I eat eggs, dairy (milk, butter, cream...and all the cheese!)   They don't seem to realize vegetarians want that protein--and they also eat things made with all those things, such as most pasta, cakes, pastries, ice cream, puddings--that vegans do not eat.   But now it's veggies and tofu.  I admire those that can stick to totally vegan, but I will never be that person.  I think there are going to be quite a few vegetarians pointing out the big different between the two.  I did love so many of the vegan appetizers though, totally some of my favorites.  But both vegetarian and vegan should at least have 2 things to choose from. 

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, njkruzer said:

All Vegan foods are vegetarian.  The reverse is not true.

Vegan won't eat animal derived foods.  I guess that means things like milk, eggs, butter, animal based cooking oil.

Vegetarians aren't that picky

I'm not either.  But, if there is no vegetarian selection on the menu, order the main meal and tell them to skip the meat, and so on.

5 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Saw that on Voyager earlier this month.  Had to really look for plain scrambled eggs.  No made-to-order omlets.  Never saw crepes.

Same.  I ended up every morning in the WJ camping out at the fried egg station and grabbed a couple plates (four eggs total) as they came off the grill.  I asked the cook a couple times to pull some off a little early for over easy and he obliged.