Gem Jan. 25 departure from NY delayed till 3am Jan. 26, skipping Bermuda

Turtles06

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

My son lives in Arlington VA, NOVA....and says that whole area was considered "a neutral zone"...not the North and not the South.  Definately not the Northeast and definately not the Southeast.

to be honest, I was really just annoyed by the comment.  There really isn't an official definition of the regions.  The census bureau defines the DC area as the south, but that definition is from the 1800's, whereas the department of labor has it as the northeast.  You're really not wrong either way.  Everyone has their own definition,  as we're seeing. 

10 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

to be honest, I was really just annoyed by the comment.  There really isn't an official definition of the regions.  The census bureau defines the DC area as the south, but that definition is from the 1800's, whereas the department of labor has it as the northeast.  You're really not wrong either way.  Everyone has their own definition,  as we're seeing. 

Don't get me started on the correct terms for New York State! It'll put any battle about NOVA to shame (and yes Rockville is NOVA haha). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Don't get me started on the correct terms for New York State! It'll put any battle about NOVA to shame (and yes Rockville is NOVA haha). 

ha ha.  Well, Rockville is in Maryland, not VA.  but you will get people debating what all is considered NOVA.  I've never lived in Virginia, so I don't have an opinion on it.  And of course, what is considered DMV........ 🙂

• Haha 1

We live in Fairfax County, VA, which is definitely NOVA. Rockville, MD isn't VA, obviously, but is definitely Metro DC. For one thing, the largest and busiest (and oldest) Metro line is the Red Line, which serves Rockville and environs. My wife HATES to be called a Southerner, since she thinks NOVA isn't the South. Well, sorry, but all of Virginia is the South, unless the NOVA people break away and declare independence! 😁🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

NYC is just as bad. Everyone considers parts of New Jersey, Westchester and Connecticut to be New York City

New York City is suppose to be just the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx  and Staten Island

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, shof515 said:

NYC is just as bad. Everyone considers parts of New Jersey, Westchester and Connecticut to be New York City

New York City is suppose to be just the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx  and Staten Island

When people say they live "in the city".... Manhattan....and only Manhattan.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, shof515 said:

🤣

I don’t know anyone who considers NJ or CT part of NYC. When I think of New York City I think of Manhattan and only Manhattan. Queens is Queens, Brooklyn is Brooklyn etc…

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Exactly.  When I say I'm going to Brooklyn, I say "Brooklyn".  If I'm going to a Yankees game I say "I'm going to the Bronx".  If I say I'm going "to the city" it's Manhattan. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I always thought that, too. But then when we were in NYC last month, it was made very clear to us that NYC is comprised of all 5 boroughs, not just the "main" one. We stayed in Long Island City, aka LIC, which is in Queens. And people there were emphatic that Queens is part of New York City. And far be it from me to argue with a Nu Yawkuh.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I always thought that, too. But then when we were in NYC last month, it was made very clear to us that NYC is comprised of all 5 boroughs, not just the "main" one. We stayed in Long Island City, aka LIC, which is in Queens. And people there were emphatic that Queens is part of New York City. And far be it from me to argue with a Nu Yawkuh.

OP here. I grew up in Brooklyn, definitely a part of NYC, as are the other four boroughs. But when you’re going from Brooklyn into Manhattan, you say you’re going “into the city.” 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 5

Hmm... there is a saying that Washington, D.C., combines Northern charm and Southern efficiency.

Living in New York State--far upstate--I think of New York City as comprising the five boroughs. If I meant only Manhattan, I would say Manhattan. If I felt pedantic I might say New York County (this is meaningful on Law & Order). If I meant to include Westchester County and Long Island, plus some of Connecticut and New Jersey, I'd call it the Tri-State.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

OP here. I grew up in Brooklyn, definitely a part of NYC, as are the other four boroughs. But when you’re going from Brooklyn into Manhattan, you say you’re going “into the city.” 

Not only do you say you're going "into the city" some signs in the subway system directing you to the platform for trains headed to Manhattan said "To City".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Hmm... there is a saying that Washington, D.C., combines Northern charm and Southern efficiency.

Living in New York State--far upstate--I think of New York City as comprising the five boroughs. If I meant only Manhattan, I would say Manhattan. If I felt pedantic I might say New York County (this is meaningful on Law & Order). If I meant to include Westchester County and Long Island, plus some of Connecticut and New Jersey, I'd call it the Tri-State.

I think its Northern efficiency and Southern charm Lol

• Like 1

yup, all 5 boroughs, including the Bronx (although Staten Island is debatable 🤭), are part of NYC, but they aren't the city, only Manhattan is. Though, I suppose if you're from "up state," then all the boroughs are "the city." But that would be incorrect. 

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Back to the cruise.  How's the weather?  How's the food?  How's the entertainment?  How's the ports?

Since we got past that first really windy day, the weather’s been great. Sunny, and increasingly warm as we make our way to St. Thomas tomorrow. (Our first port.) The pools are open and people are out and about. 

C03D2103-6F2D-43EA-A1E2-3D400D1539D4.thumb.jpeg.bda3265fd6d420f06292361e3d2e4e8c.jpeg

The food is sort of hit or miss as exemplified by the bizarre item below from the dinner menu the other night in the MDR.  An iceberg wedge with turkey, cheddar cheese, and vinaigrette?  (And grilled?) Not a bacon bit or blue cheese crumble in sight?  We ate at Cagney’s last night, and while the iceberg wedge on their menu said it had bacon, there was no bacon. (There is bacon on board, I’ve seen it at breakfast.) We did enjoy the pork spare ribs in the MDR the first night. 

As for the entertainment, we haven’t gone to anything in the main theatre yet, but there’s a singer named Tania (who accompanies herself on the guitar) who plays in the evenings in the Atrium or Magnums, who we enjoy listening to.  I always feel sorry for the performers in those spaces, who have to compete with the noise from the nearby bars. 

The bottom line for us is that we are happy to be back at sea. 😊

B7A90407-55C2-498F-A251-7B6E2112A32D.thumb.jpeg.59b1cb724149483c34e25541db776d12.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 5:39 AM, dbrown84 said:

probably the same kick I get of people thinking DC is not.  Admittedly, you're the first person I ever heard thinking it's not.  I'll start calling it Mid Atlantic just for you

It is indeed considered South,  not northeast,   Look it up.  DD lives in DC and she says she is in the south.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:41 PM, AwesomO said:

yup, all 5 boroughs, including the Bronx (although Staten Island is debatable 🤭), are part of NYC, but they aren't the city, only Manhattan is. Though, I suppose if you're from "up state," then all the boroughs are "the city." But that would be incorrect. 

lol if you are from NYC or Manhattan you think Poughkeepsie is upstate too, soooo.  upstate is not there or Albany it is much further than those.  ROFL

• Thanks 1